GX3H PHEV Charging

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave336d

Is it possible to preset a charging time to function cvharging when economy 7 kicks in about 11:40 pm

No pre-setting is available on the GX3h. The only way round might be to have some sort of timer on your charger supply, if it could handle the load.

dave336d said:
Is it possible to preset a charging time to function cvharging when economy 7 kicks in about 11:40 pm

Yes dave336d,

Before I got my Polar from Chargemaster (free of charge (pardon the pun), I was using a WEMO socket I bought from Maplin.

Mine was able to handle the power and because it connects to your wifi you control the times it switches on from your smartphone - and from anywhere in the world.

I thought it was great! and it did the job really well for me. :D

If you have a 16A charger installed, a 16A in circuit immersion heater timer could do the trick see http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lowenergie-Digital-Water-Immersion-Heater-Timer-7-day-programmable-16A-switch-/330868293197. Of course get a sparky to install, and check that your charging point re starts charging automatically when powered. Obviously if you have a 32A charger installed you'd need timer switch also rated at 32A ( for your next 32A car!)

Tks

Paul

"Things wot I have discovered" :)

I bought a similar WiFi socket, the Efergy Ego, and that works great for 13A socket charging. Turns out DLink do one as well, probably based on the same base hardware/firmware (DSP-W215 I think). Both will also measure energy used but from experience the Efergy is pretty rudimentary and only does Watts and not voltage or current.

Rolec do a 16A/32A EVSE called the "Economy Boost" that has a built in timer, much like the immersion heater switch mentioned above, but GET THIS: It's not on the OLEV approved list of models - so no grant support.

Another thing - check the clock on your Economy 7 meter. Mine is two hours out (yes, I have corrected for BST!). So set your timer to compensate or try to get the clock adjusted (which is mostly hell). I set mine for 1am - 6:45am which is enough for a full charge and inside my 7 hour window based on the local meter clock.

I continue to use the Efergy WiFi plug with built in timer for now but I am going for Solar PV and ABL EVSE from Phoenix at, hopefully, end of August and I am in the process of moving energy suppliers and I have decided to move away from Economy 7 for the moment. Ecotricity, who I chose even if more expensive, allow you to change month-to-month if necessary between standard and E7 tariffs and I may move back as winters comes and the Solar PV has a shorter production window - and I will ask Phoenix to fix a manual timer.

Back