Help with the charging issue

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent quite a long time on the phone to an EDF energy consultant discussing their EV oriented tariff but in the end he advised that I should stick to their standard tariff - I am simply not using enough off-peak electricity to benefit from any of those special price structures.

I have been charging via 13 amp plug, but just had a 32A charge point installed.

Reasons are:-

• Keep a check on actual electricity cost of car, as installation has its own meter.
    Don't need to keep the expensive 13Amp charge converter unit outside all night, waiting to be pinched.
    Needed to use a 13A rcd protected extension cable, which is a right pain to reset at the back of the garage.
    I commute 25 miles per day, and usually get home 18:00, but often need to nip out two hours later to pick my wife up (another 15 mile round trip), so i can now get a decent charge in it for this.
    I can now use less pre-heat time (and energy), as I used to have to heat the car up longer, as i needed to turn it off 15 mins before I got in, to get battery back to 100% before driving off.
    Car and engine are warmer when i get in (heating on right to when i get in, and battery still 100% see above) meaning ICE much less likely to run on a cold morning.

Of course this is my usage, and some people might not think the £195 cost is worth it for the benefits, but I am happier (certainly in these winter mornings) with using one over a 13A socket.

Peter

I've had EDF 20:20 tariff for many years - not the cheapest but its "off-peak" period is 9pm - 7am plus all-day at weekends. When both my wife & I worked this fitted in with our pattern of being in the house. Even when she retired and was at home more during the day this was still probably true, until the last year when she was terminally ill and I was at home more.

However, now I'm on my own, I'm back with the previous pattern so the tariff still works better than Economy 7 would with its later start at 11pm - worth a look if you have a similar usage.

greendwarf said:
I've had EDF 20:20 tariff for many years - not the cheapest but its "off-peak" period is 9pm - 7am plus all-day at weekends. When both my wife & I worked this fitted in with our pattern of being in the house. Even when she retired and was at home more during the day this was still probably true, until the last year when she was terminally ill and I was at home more.

However, now I'm on my own, I'm back with the previous pattern so the tariff still works better than Economy 7 would with its later start at 11pm - worth a look if you have a similar usage.

It was EDF 20:20 I was looking at, but when we did the sums, any saving would have been marginal and it only required a small deviation from my normal routine to actually come out worse off.

We'll be a lot better off when (if?) they finally get the new generation of mart meters rolled out - you'll be able to change tariffs very quickly and the suppliers will be able to come up with some more flexible pricing structures

g0rsq said:
I have been charging via 13 amp plug, but just had a 32A charge point installed.

Reasons are:-

Car and engine are warmer when i get in (heating on right to when i get in, and battery still 100% see above) meaning ICE much less likely to run on a cold morning.
Obviously, I agree with most of your arguments. As they are mine as well :) But do not make the mistake to think the engine is also warmed up by pre heating. It is not. There is a thermostatic valve between the heater circuit and the engine coolant circuit that only opens when the engine coolant reaches 60 (according to Mitsu) or 70 deg C (according to my own observations). So, heat from the electric heater will not reach the engine during pre heating.

Anko

Thanks, didn't know that, but keeping the interior toasty certainly prevents ICE from starting on frosty mornings.

Using the 13A charger means either turning the heating off earlier to allow the battery to top up before driving away (and causing ICE to start up for the heater), or start the journey with a lower battery charge level.

peter

Just changed energy supplier to Scottish power their unit cost is 10.198 and TDC cost 12.28 per unit. Think I got a reasonable rate as my usage will go up (for charging etc)and this is the lowest leccy rate from a standard supplier.

Now as I am not certain of which is the best Amp fitting to put on (I have access to 13, 16 or 32 amp) 3 spare circuits on my RCD!?!, bar the pre heating to save on ICE usage in the cold weather and cooling in the warm, any other benefits to a particular ampage?

Back