Home charging - confused!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeilTXJ

Sorry for another thread on this but from reading other threads I have just got very confused and please be gentle with me as totally new to electric vehicles.

I am seriously considering a Outlander PHEV as my company car so have been investigating options for home charging but have just got confused. So I have a few questions:-

1. What is the difference between tethered and untethered
2. I see mention of 16A and 32A, what is the difference between the 2 and what is required for the Outlander
3. People talk about future proofing, how is the best achieved
4. Who can you recommend to fit and what is the cost. Some supplies appear to be free and others charge

Fully appreciate these have probably been asked before and I am probably being a bit thick but any help appreciated and when responding assume I know nothing and you won't be far wrong!

I will be parking and charging the car in a garage and will want it to be as easy to charge as possible and also know there won't be much room around the car as unlike all the photos you see on the websites I don't have a garage that has about 3 meters around the car on all sides.

A picture of my garage and suspect the charge unit would need to go on the left wall near the garage door or on the pillar between the 2 doors but don't think there will be enough room

I'm sorry, I can't help on the technical advice but wow! You use your double garage for not one but two cars. I don't think I've ever seen that before, I though garages were for all the junk that's too big for your loft.

NeilTXJ said:
Sorry for another thread on this but from reading other threads I have just got very confused and please be gentle with me as totally new to electric vehicles.

I am seriously considering a Outlander PHEV as my company car so have been investigating options for home charging but have just got confused. So I have a few questions:-

1. What is the difference between tethered and untethered
2. I see mention of 16A and 32A, what is the difference between the 2 and what is required for the Outlander
3. People talk about future proofing, how is the best achieved
4. Who can you recommend to fit and what is the cost. Some supplies appear to be free and others charge
Briefly:
1. Tethered means there is a lead already attached to the home charge point which you plug straight in to the car (there are different types of plug on the end of the cable available so you will need to say which car you need it to work with - Outlander uses a 'type 1'). Untethered means you just get a socket and you have to provide your own lead (which will NOT be the same one Mitsubishi supplies as that plugs into a standard 13A socket only).
2. 32A will in theory charge twice as fast as 16A EXCEPT that the Outlander can only accept 16A anyway. Hopefully future cars will accept 32A.
3. If you fit a tethered 16A cable, which is fine for the Outlander, in five years' time you may find that the tethered cable will not fit a 'new' car and that car will charge at 32A. I would go for 32A tethered but that's purely a personal opinion - there's no right answer, although if you only intend to keep your car for a short time, untethered 32A may be better.
4. Can't really help you there - it depends partly were you live....
Hope that helps
PS In your garage I would try to park the Outlander where the Mini is and put the charger on the right wall. Unless the space on the left is larger, in which case you may have to put the charger on the left wall and maybe reverse in. In my experience the engine virtually never cuts in when you reverse, so you won't be putting any nasty CO2 into your garage!

I used the British Gas offer,and the 16 amp charger was fitted free. I actually had 2 free installations as we own a second rental property.Both chargers work very well,and the fitting was very good,you will need a separate feed from your main board
16 amp is more than fast enough for me. Not sure if the 32 amp has any advantage at present in terms of charging speed.
I used a tethered charger,which I think means the cable is attached to the charger unit.

I have also used the 13 amp charger that comes with the car,it is a bit slower,but I do have a 13 amp external socket in another parking spot which I use.
Your garage is incredibly clean and tidy.

Thanks for the replays, really appreciated.

Really need to park the Outlander on the left as not really room on the right.

Can't beat parking 2 cars in the garage particularly in a frosty morning when everybody is clearing ther cars. Got the finishing touch last year of electric doors.

NeilTXJ said:
Thanks for the replays, really appreciated.

Really need to park the Outlander on the left as not really room on the right.

Can't beat parking 2 cars in the garage particularly in a frosty morning when everybody is clearing ther cars. Got the finishing touch last year of electric doors.

Hi m8

Confirm the previous post best with 32 amp tethered. Looking at your central pillar both the charge master/polar, and the Rolec charging stations should fit on there. Remembering that if its an Outlander PHEV you are going for, the charging is on the right rear. Petrol on rear left.

Graham

Not sure what sort of doors your garage has but I'd be amazed if you can fit the charger on the inside of that central pillar :shock:

As others have said, with the charge port being on the RHS of the car, you'll either have to put the charger at the back on the left and reverse in, or put up with the cable trailing across the back of the car.

Great set of numberplates BTW!

Where is your consumer unit? That might be a limiting factor if you go for a 32A unit, somewhere there's a guide to how long a cable run is allowed, but I can't find it now. Some of our esteemed members will probably have it off the top of their head.

I hate people with tidy garages, makes me feel so slovenly. :p

maddogsetc said:
Not sure what sort of doors your garage has but I'd be amazed if you can fit the charger on the inside of that central pillar :shock:

As others have said, with the charge port being on the RHS of the car, you'll either have to put the charger at the back on the left and reverse in, or put up with the cable trailing across the back of the car.

I don't think would fit between and reversing in not currently an option as have shelving that bonnet currently fits under. I think trailing across back will be my only option and would be happy with that if cable is long enough to go along floor, don't fancy the cable resting on car as would scratch.

Thanks for plates comment, both purchased from DVLA auction for reasonable prices as they have an X in them.

Regulo said:
Where is your consumer unit? That might be a limiting factor if you go for a 32A unit, somewhere there's a guide to how long a cable run is allowed, but I can't find it now. Some of our esteemed members will probably have it off the top of their head.

I hate people with tidy garages, makes me feel so slovenly. :p

Sorry, what do you mean by consumer unit?

Consumer unit = the fuse-board or trip-switch board in the cupboard in the utility room or some such location.

Cymro said:
Consumer unit = the fuse-board or trip-switch board in the cupboard in the utility room or some such location.

Ok. That could be interesting as it's under the stairs at the back of the house so nowhere near the garage. Could that be an issue?

Cheers

Could cause a small problem. When you decide on an installer, they'll do a survey (I suppose), before fitting. Depending on your distances, they may want to put on a surcharge for the extra cable run. And if it's too far, they might not be able to oblige. I have the same problem, in as much as my garage is remote from the house, and fed by a single 13 amp spur cable. No installer will touch it (quite rightly).

Hi
Do you think you will fit the Phev's bonnet under some shelves?!! The shelves might have to go!

My fitter didn't have to take a cable right back to the consumer unit (about 30m away) - he fitted a separate little fuse box as a spur (perhaps not the right technical word) from the power already going into the garage. Not everyone has an integral garage so the distance shouldn't be an issue if you already have some power in there...

Note the charger sticks out a little and so does the door to the charging port - things might get quite tight. Have you measured your garage? We had to measure ours before making a final decision...

We have a 32 amp tethered BG (charge master) unit which at the time cost £99 - find the tethered cable very convenient.

PS - Your cars are ridiculously clean!

Best of luck!
H

From British Gas terms and conditions:

4. Extra services
The electrician will make you aware of any extra services needed to carry out the standard service.
These may include fitting, for example:
a. an isolation switch and associated fitting;
b. alternative earthing options;
c. a new consumer unit;
d. a cable running from the fuse box if over 10 metres; and
e. any further electrical work needed to bring any required electrics up to the necessary standard.
This is not a full list.
If you decide to have extra services the electrician will give you a separate quotation on the day.
We may charge for any extra services and this will be shown on your quotation.

Hope this won't be a problem for you, I think all the installers have similar conditions.

Hypermiler said:
Hi
Do you think you will fit the Phev's bonnet under some shelves?!! The shelves might have to go!

My fitter didn't have to take a cable right back to the consumer unit (about 30m away) - he fitted a separate little fuse box as a spur (perhaps not the right technical word) from the power already going into the garage. Not everyone has an integral garage so the distance shouldn't be an issue if you already have some power in there...

Note the charger sticks out a little and so does the door to the charging port - things might get quite tight. Have you measured your garage? We had to measure ours before making a final decision...

We have a 32 amp tethered BG (charge master) unit which at the time cost £99 - find the tethered cable very convenient.

PS - Your cars are ridiculously clean!

Best of luck!
H

Have a Pug 4007 which is the same as outlander so happy will fit under. I am very sad a spent quite a bit of time getting to garage set up to fit 2 cars in.

I am a bit concerned with the charge unit sticking out. Happy unit will be ok but the handle on some units appear to stick out a bit - I am going to have to be careful.

maddogsetc said:

Hi m8

Just been out and checked the width of the Rolec 32 amp tethered unit I have and it's 9 1.2 inches including the cable wrapped around.
Looking at the gents garage door pillar at the bottom it looks like the width of the pillar is around 12 inches as the bricks on the floor should be at least 3-4 inches each
So in my mind the Rolec unit should fit perfectly on the inside of his pillar and take away the worry of reversing in. As someone else said the problem may be where the power is coming from rather than where the charging station is going to be.
Cheers
Graham

Fendoch said:
maddogsetc said:

Hi m8

Just been out and checked the width of the Rolec 32 amp tethered unit I have and it's 9 1.2 inches including the cable wrapped around.
Looking at the gents garage door pillar at the bottom it looks like the width of the pillar is around 12 inches as the bricks on the floor should be at least 3-4 inches each
So in my mind the Rolec unit should fit perfectly on the inside of his pillar and take away the worry of reversing in. As someone else said the problem may be where the power is coming from rather than where the charging station is going to be.
Cheers
Graham

Cheers Graham

I have been and measured the gap between the garage doors (we live an exciting life lol!) and it's about 11 inches so probably an option but now concerned about how to get power to it.

How can I find out if this is a problem - would Rolec / BG come and do a survey before I placed an order as feel I need to make sure I haven't got an issue before ordering the car.

Installers will always find a way - but at additional cost. I think you are going about this the right way, in finding out the problems before they raise their heads. If the worst comes to the worst, you'll be stuck with the supplied charger - would that be a problem for you?

Fendoch said:
maddogsetc said:

Hi m8

Cheers
Graham

Back