How many and what cables?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterGalbavy

Next newbie question; I'm seeing various references to charging connectors and cables and want to make sure I get the right thing(s) to ensure I can use common charging points. I don't yet have my GX3h so have not been near any real charge points.

What "toolbox" of cables gives the best coverage of uses?

Being in London I see the various on-street charging points but not sure what they have plug-wise? Are the typically 3-pin UK mains or other?

I am going to have something like an untethered Rolec charge point fitted on the front of my house (hence no cable) so will also have a "IEC62196" to Outlander cable at least. This is a Mennekes, right?

What else am I likely to encounter that doesn't have a cable fitted?

Thanks!

The standard charging cable is a type1-type2 Mennekes cable, which does not come with the car, although some dealers will throw it in as part of the deal. It is essential for charging the car outside the UK on continental Europe and inside the UK for properly standarized charging points. The charging box (which is really a portable charge point) comes with the standard three-pin. Outside the UK you will need an unfused adapter to Schuko for Household outlets.
The rapid charger interafce does not need a cable, as the charger will always be tethered.

Thanks. I also found this after I posted: https://www.zap-map.com/charge-points/basics/ - nice, simple reference ;)

Follow-up - what length(s) and 16A/32A have people gone for for their typical usage?

I can see needing a short cable (3m, black to not be so visible from the street) for home charging once I get the off-street parking sorted (I am going to an untethered EVSE) but given the car is almost 5m and if the only way to park at a public point is the "wrong way around" I suspect a 5m cable is not enough - and maybe orange to stop people pretending to trip over it?

Confused newbie requires sage advice... :)

Given that the cables are quite expensive and the economics of public charging can be a bit questionable, do you really want to buy two cables? I would go for a single long cable and tie a loop of a couple of turns if you need to shorten it. If you reckon that a charge is probably worth no more than £2 in petrol and a cable costs over £150, then even if the charging points continue to be free, you've got to take on at least 80 charges just to break even!

maby said:
Given that the cables are quite expensive and the economics of public charging can be a bit questionable, do you really want to buy two cables? I would go for a single long cable and tie a loop of a couple of turns if you need to shorten it. If you reckon that a charge is probably worth no more than £2 in petrol and a cable costs over £150, then even if the charging points continue to be free, you've got to take on at least 80 charges just to break even!

Very good point. Thanks.

My 'toolbox' set is:

- Cable Type 1 / Type 2 (J1772 to Menekkes/62196-2): http://goo.gl/yJrXgh
- Adapter CEE 3X16 / Shucko 2P+T: http://goo.gl/D2k72L
- Electric extension 16A 15m
- Lockers for the J1772 plugs

P1260330.jpg

Back