HOW TO USE correctly OR SHIFT B GEARS FOR FUEL ECONOMY

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carnut said:
First thing to clear up is the fact that the paddles do NOT operate gears. the only gears the car has is a CVT transmission twixt ICE and generator to stop the engine over-revving at high speed.( Had to 'phone Colt Cars in Cirencester to ascertain this, so it is straight from the horse's mouth!) They control the amount of energy being put into the battery. As with any electrical generator, the more power going in the more difficult it is to turn.
Think of them as brakes.
As far as HHL's comment goes. Yes I was not as pleased with myself as I had hoped but it WAS only the first time I had been on a longish run so I blame lack of practice.
As far as the SM's achievement goes . I wondered how he did it as well?

I have searched YOUTUBE for a video but cannot find one.
All I can tell you is what I wrote in my 'Steamed up' thread. quoted below.

I was driving off using left paddle on 5 and only easing off if it slowed me down too much. Apparently you have to drive nearly ALL the time on ZERO regen, using the 2 ton weight of the car to coast , which it does with consummate ease over very long distances. then crank on enough regen to slow you down at junctions or preceding traffic, then footbrake to stop you if required,
back to ZERO regen as you pull away. etc.
I was using the steep hills to put MORE juice (5) back in the battery and often slowing down too much and if it was hill>dip then up> another hill, I was obviously using much more EV to get up the second hill than I put in going down the first. Coast down, using momentum to get you up as much of the up gradient as possible.

So to try and make it clearer.
Use ECO button at all times. Use zero when driving. coming to a traffic light, junction or queue of cars . crank on as much left paddle as is required to slow you down. DO NOT BRAKE until you have to. as soon as you move off decrease regen using right paddle back to zero.

Or if you can't be bothered with all this faffing about just leave it on TWO!

thanks bro for your valuble openion.. :)

Claymore said:
anjuhiru said:
....I read the manual..but i could not find the exact page of informations regarding how to drive and what are the occasions of using B gears page.....

The Mitsubishi web site has some informative videos on various subjects relating to the PHEV, including use of regen braking but all worth a look;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikS6fauvCyk

Here's another one which you may find useful;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYuNQ965kEY

JimB

thanks for sharing friend :)

Carnut said:
First thing to clear up is the fact that the paddles do NOT operate gears. the only gears the car has is a CVT transmission twixt ICE and generator to stop the engine over-revving at high speed.( Had to 'phone Colt Cars in Cirencester to ascertain this, so it is straight from the horse's mouth!) ...............

Oh my golly gosh Carnut....prepare for incoming! I, and many others, have been crushed underfoot for saying it's got a CVT...it hasn't...it's a single speed automatic.

Boy are you in trouble now :lol:

JimB

Claymore said:
Carnut said:
First thing to clear up is the fact that the paddles do NOT operate gears. the only gears the car has is a CVT transmission twixt ICE and generator to stop the engine over-revving at high speed.( Had to 'phone Colt Cars in Cirencester to ascertain this, so it is straight from the horse's mouth!) ...............

Oh my golly gosh Carnut....prepare for incoming! I, and many others, have been crushed underfoot for saying it's got a CVT...it hasn't...it's a single speed automatic.

JimB

You said it...

Bring it on boys :lol:

Claymore said:
Carnut said:

JimB

Ha! The only people that can't understand that it's a CVT are not native English speakers, so we'll put it down to a linguistic problem!

maby said:
Claymore said:
Carnut said:

JimB

Ha! The only people that can't understand that it's a CVT are not native English speakers, so we'll put it down to a linguistic problem!

But.....Carnut is from Poole! :eek:

maby said:

Clicky Clicky on 'Transmission'.

http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/outlander/specifications.aspx

But I do hope that actually means CVT as I wanted one of those, not something with the Vulcan 'howl'.

;)

JimB

Good to see you guys have finally learned something (except for Carnut and Maby, that is) :lol:

Lets step away from what a CVT is and it is not for a while, and ask ourselves what this is about:
to stop the engine over-revving at high speed.( Had to 'phone Colt Cars in Cirencester to ascertain this, so it is straight from the horse's mouth!)
Is that horse perhaps a Prius dealer? ;)

Oh, and on a more serious note: can some of the native speakers explain to me, simple non-native speaker, what "twixt" is, other than a movie featuring Val Kilmer?

Well, if you clever lot know better than Colt Cars AKA MITSUBISHI UK. That's fine by me! (& Maby! Sorry JimB!) Obviously Nederlanders don't need a cvt as they have no hills to climb :lol: :lol: :lol:
I rang them this morning to get it from the horses mouth :D . There IS A CVT GEAR BOX BETWEEN ICE & GENERATOR!
You cannot change gear & it is not the same cvt as used for example on a Honda Jazz. But it IS a 'Constantly Variable Transmission!
If you listen very carefully when the ICE is running you may be able to hear the revs of the ICE drop the faster you go. This what first made me suspicious. One of the road tests also mentions a CVT box. Needless to say my Dealership agrees with Mitsubishi uk (Colt cars)
Just for those that are not aware, Colt cars were so called right from the first imports of Mitsubishis before that name was used in the UK. The first Mitsu imports were called COLTS.
The company started in Cirencester & are still there.
If you STILL don't believe me go onto the web site, find the 'phone number & ring them yourself.
P.S. What is wrong with Poole? Is one intimating a lower cerebral level in Poole residents? "How very dare you,"! :lol:
Nighty night.

'twixt (in full: betwixt) is what a dictionary would describe as 'poetic usage':

The turtle lives 'twixt plated decks
Which practically conceal its sex.
I think it clever of the turtle
In such a fix to be so fertile.
Ogden Nash

<sigh> There is no variable transmission at all, CVT or otherwise. And yes, I am a native English speaker having lived in the UK as a child. I even got a pot of honey from Tolkien as a fifth birthday present, but that is beside the point. No variable gears, just an electronic simulation.

Claymore said:
maby said:

But I do hope that actually means CVT as I wanted one of those, not something with the Vulcan 'howl'.

;)

JimB

Sorry:

Automatic type Single Gear

jaapv said:
Claymore said:
maby said:

;)

JimB

Sorry:

"Continuously Variable Transmission" - that describes an effect, not an implementation. Engine speed is not directly linked to roadspeed...

Bladevane said:
Anko - Try tussen or ander. Otherwise "between".
Thanks. I figured it would something like that.

Carnut, what does that mean, a CVT that does not allow you to change gears?

All our differences aside, I hope we can agree that there is NO CVT between the engine (ICE) and the generator? Of course, there is a reduction, causing the engine to spin slower than the generator, but this reduction is fixed, and the connection between the engine and the generator is permanent. No clutch involved.

(You may believe it or not, but when coasting in parallel mode, the generator happily spins along. While coasting in parallel mode, electric power is fed from the battery to the generator te reduce electromagnetic drag in the generator, while at the same time fuel is being burned by the engine in an attempt to overcome its own internal resistance. Both making coasting far less 'for free' as often believed)

Likewise, there is a fixed ratio permanent connection between front axle and front E-motor. No clutch there either.

There is however a clutch twixt ( ;) ) the engine / generator assembly and the front axle / front E-motor assembly , but the gear ratio between the two assemblies is as fixed as it gets.

The Mitsubishi website says "single gear" for a good reason. The "automatic" does not apply to (switching) the gears, but to the operation of the clutch.

The revving down that Carnut hears is not a result of shifting gears, but of closing the clutch when the car changes from serial hybride mode (in which the engine can rev freely, more or less independent of vehicle speed) to parallel hybrid mode (in which engine speed is dictated by vehicle speed).

There is a CVT like experience, that I'll grant you. A similar thing happened with the Dutch media, before the car even beached. One journalist got a chance to drive it and reported a CVT like experience. Many others miss-quoted the poor guy, letting a lot of people believe that the car had a CVT.

maby said:
jaapv said:
Claymore said:

;)

JimB

Sorry:

"Continuously Variable Transmission" - that describes an effect, not an implementation. Engine speed is not directly linked to roadspeed...
Like there is a Continuously Variable Transmission between the turbines of the near by power plant and the motor of you electric raiser?

maby said:
jaapv said:
Claymore said:

;)

JimB

Sorry:

I do not know what language your native one is, but a transmission is a piece of gear, not a philosophical concept.

Back