Manual drive-mode selection?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, we have a silly winter this year with no frost at all yet - Li-Ion batteries don’t like cold - but Mitsubishi could have foreseen this, parts of Japan have pretty harsh winters.

Garrett said:
jaapv said:
No it does not. You can pre-heat it by timer or remote control from the plugged-in power and it will run shorter, if at all.

Oh, yes it does... On three occasions - where the outside temperature had been below -15 Centigrade, I have had EV range showing "---" - with full battery. So the engine is running constantly (shutting down on deceleration), but the car refuses to drive electric at all. The power needle does go further than 60kW, but not upto full 120kW (three o'clock) I think I am getting 100-110 kW on full throttle. No errors showing. After 5 km driving, shutting down for few minutes and starting - voila - EV range 17km with 5/6 of a battery. Still runs periodically ICE even when climate off or set to 15,5C inside temp. Also drove 40km on Friday with EV range "---" all the way. Battery 2/3 full on arrival. Fuel consumption near 10L/100km.

I can live with the heat "problem". But it's more interesting what happens to the 4wd when the EV range shows "---"? Does it work at all? Espacally when the car has been outside in -20 degress celsius over the night without the possibility of pre-heating. This isn't my regular situation, but it do happens a couple of times a year.
The phev really seems to suite a lot of my needs, but I can't have an awd car which is fwd in the winter when I really need 4wd.

//Peter

240z said:
I can live with the heat "problem". But it's more interesting what happens to the 4wd when the EV range shows "---"? Does it work at all? Espacally when the car has been outside in -20 degress celsius over the night without the possibility of pre-heating. This isn't my regular situation, but it do happens a couple of times a year.
The phev really seems to suite a lot of my needs, but I can't have an awd car which is fwd in the winter when I really need 4wd.

//Peter

The 4WD systems works as it does in warmer climate. Both electric motors are working to drive all wheels. However the AWD system is not that good in PHEV. I am hoping for an update on ASC software that it should work better. Now the car feels like FWD car. You have to drive it around the corners as a FWD car, but if you are going through snow - of course all wheels are driving.. I posted a rant about it on another forum and got confirmation from other user. PHEV 4WD sucks if you like sporty driving.

Back