Miles displayed after full charge

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carnut said:
I have beaten it.
After a partial charge this morning, from 18 miles remaining to 26 miles range when I disconnected (cost 36p)
I covered 28.3 miles of mixed town and country driving. The temperature was 37f.!! heater OFF!

Well, at least you will not be suffering from drowsiness - though frostbite may be a risk!

Carnut said:
I have beaten it.
After a partial charge this morning, from 18 miles remaining to 26 miles range when I disconnected (cost 36p)
I covered 28.3 miles of mixed town and country driving. The temperature was 37f.!! heater OFF!

Damn good going for winter, most I have ever got, in near perfect conditions in summer was 30.7 miles, 100% EV, Only once though.

Even doing the last 10 miles in hybrid the mpg for the trip was showing _ _. _
So over 100 mpg. How can we tell the ACTUAL miles over 99.9mpg.
The most i have had on the overall mpg was 70 odd. Does that gauge go to 3 digits?
If not how can people (including my vet on the Alps claim 900+mpg.....??)

Carnut said:
Even doing the last 10 miles in hybrid the mpg for the trip was showing _ _. _
So over 100 mpg. How can we tell the ACTUAL miles over 99.9mpg.
The most i have had on the overall mpg was 70 odd. Does that gauge go to 3 digits?
If not how can people (including my vet on the Alps claim 900+mpg.....??)

Switch the display to litres per 100km and do the conversion - zero litres per 100km equates to infinite mpg, so there is no problem with very low fuel consumption overflowing the field size on the screen.

I have had mine for three weeks now and after a full charge the maximum range is never above 16 miles. That is obviously half the sales pitch stated so surely an unethical proposition from Mitsui. Shameful.

Fred said:
I have had mine for three weeks now and after a full charge the maximum range is never above 16 miles. That is obviously half the sales pitch stated so surely an unethical proposition from Mitsui. Shameful.

Doesn't sound right that - do you have the facelifted 2016MY model?

I think it's been established that the computers adjust the estimated range to reflect recent trips and hence driving style (which you can do something to alter) and local terrain (which you can't). If you live somewhere relatively flat, you'll get a longer effective range than if you go up and down hills. That being said, I live in the Chilterns and face 15% or better slopes in any direction I drive and still expect to get 20 miles on pure EV. Sadly, this is just not quite enough to get me to Aylesbury and back (my most frequent travel), but a recent shopping trip (12 miles) saw 5 leaves on the dash, so I must be getting the hang of it. :)smug face:)

david1972 said:
Fred said:

Yes I have aFacelifted model. Even yesterday I drove on the M5 to Cheltenham in cruise at 70. Charged the battery whilst driving and still wouldn't not go above 16 miles range?

Fred said:
david1972 said:
Fred said:

Yes I have aFacelifted model. Even yesterday I drove on the M5 to Cheltenham in cruise at 70. Charged the battery whilst driving and still wouldn't not go above 16 miles range?
Ignore the estimate displayed and measure actual range achieved - but don't expect more than 20 miles this time of year

Fred said:
david1972 said:
Fred said:

As the range is an estimate of the EV distance a full battery will give YOU based on YOUR recent EV driving then a blast down the M5 at 70 is unlikely to help whether in Charge or not as none of it will be in EV mode at that speed. Longer EV range (just like low mpg) comes from slow speed, gentle left foot driving on the flat with no supplementary electrics - e.g. heated seats, aircon, headlights etc. Also are you pre-heating or using the battery to keep warm?

Finally, is the car kept outside overnight? - as temperature, especially sub-zero, significantly impacts on battery capacity and so range. To illustrate, yesterday I topped up the charge for 2hrs in the late morning (temp 10c) sitting in the sun - on completion, range 29 miles (as good as I get in summer!) based on lots of Regen the previous day. After a bit of local shopping, say 5 miles with little Regen, range down to 19 miles and a further drop to 17 overnight (now 12c) despite being in a 3 sided car-port.

I'm already beginning to treat the range estimate as 'for entertainment only'.

With the recent temperatures here in Derbyshire it shows never more than 23 miles range after overnight top up, usually 21 or 22. Best achieved after I got the car in November was 36 estimate.

When outside temps are low I preheat with the car plugged in but with timers off, 10 minutes or so usually, I don't switch it off but rely on the process being cancelled when the car door is opened.

EVBatMon shows battery better than 97% of theoretical manufactured capacity.

I've only had EVBatMon a couple of days and as I've been driving solo in slightly higher temps just relied on seat and wheel heaters and no preheat so haven't been able to check what %SOC showing after preheat.

The other day I started with 21 miles showing but after about 3 miles it was up to 22 after an overall descent using regen when appropriate (and when awake!) but including up hill stretches.

Returned home after covering 20 miles inc stops at two supermarkets with range showing 8 miles left.

JimB

Have done mainly EV driving the last few weeks, and the guestimator routinely shows around 80km EV range with a full battery, and even with 3/4 of the battery remaining, shows about 60km. Quite hopeless as a useful tool really.

Back