Miles displayed after full charge

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whilst I agree that if more accurate figures are available then they should be accessible without all the "jumping thro' hoops" that gwatpe etc. have been engaged in.

However, in the "real world" when actually driving the dash display and predicted range are no worse than any other car. We have all been happy driving in the past with just a notoriously inaccurate fuel gauge using our experience to know when we need to fill up and how far we can go on what is in the tank before "range anxiety" kicks in.

It is surely no different now - a few months of driving the PHEV gives us the mental tools to judge whether the charge will last based on what we know is the likely road/traffic conditions ahead but unlike with a pure EV car we have the comfort of knowing that if we get it wrong then we have a back-up ICE (unless, of course, we've run the fuel tank down as well :oops: ) and we do have the opportunity to eke out the EV by modifying our driving style - no wheelies away from the local lights if I want to get home on EV when down to almost no charge. :lol:

All 100% true - but psychologically we have come to think that "27 miles" on a digital display is far more accurate than a wobbly Smiths gauge - which not. ;)

Had a 3H on test for three days in September. Managed to get 29 miles on each of five charges by using the retard braking at every opportunity. Did 144 miles and topped tank up with 1 litre of fuel!! Definitely a challenging drivers car. Hope to get one in 2016 if some sort of plug in grant continues. :D

vickers7893 said:
Managed to get 29 miles on each of five charges by using the retard braking at every opportunity. :D

Not sure "retard braking" is a very PC way of describing PHEV drivers :lol:

vickers7893 said:
Had a 3H on test for three days in September. Managed to get 29 miles on each of five charges by using the retard braking at every opportunity. Did 144 miles and topped tank up with 1 litre of fuel!! Definitely a challenging drivers car. Hope to get one in 2016 if some sort of plug in grant continues. :D

Well, the car uses regenerative braking whenever you touch the brake pedal, so, whatever fiddling you do with the paddles probably makes zippo difference to the energy recovered. The paddles are very handy to simulate downshifting, especially going downhill, but I doubt whether it is more efficient one way or the other.

HHL said:
vickers7893 said:
... so, whatever fiddling you do with the paddles probably makes zippo difference to the energy recovered. The paddles are very handy to simulate downshifting, especially going downhill, but I doubt whether it is more efficient one way or the other.
This is not true. The amount of regen is influenced by the B-level. At a lower B-level you will be using the friction brakes more than at a higher B-level.

. The amount of regen is influenced by the B-level. At a lower B-level you will be using the friction brakes more than at a higher B-level.[/quote]

Wonder how you can prove that, my car indicates up to 30kw going into the battery when I brake going downhill and it makes no difference whether it is in B0 or B5. My impression from driving it for nearly a month now is that the brake pads only engage when you're just about stopped or when you're in a real hurry to do so. Under normal conditions the regen seems to do all the work.

HHL said:
Anko said:
The amount of regen is influenced by the B-level. At a lower B-level you will be using the friction brakes more than at a higher B-level.
Wonder how you can prove that, my car indicates up to 30kw going into the battery when I brake going downhill and it makes no difference whether it is in B0 or B5.
Good question. I have created a dashboard in Torque Pro that shows a lot of things that we normally cannot see. Amongst these things are for example SOC in 0.5% accuracy, actual (dis)charge current of the battery (and not just what the car wants you to believe) and pressure build-up in the brake lines.

When hitting the brakes in B5 the charge current reaches way higher values than when doing the same in B0. I have registered regen 'currents' of 40 - 50 kW. So have several others on the forum.

HHL said:
My impression from driving it for nearly a month now is that the brake pads only engage when you're just about stopped or when you're in a real hurry to do so. Under normal conditions the regen seems to do all the work.
And I, on my turn, wonder how you can prove that, unless you have created a dashboard similar to mine. As I have never sensed deployment of the brake pads (and have never hear of anyone who claimed he did) ;)

And, of course, the higher the B setting the quicker the braking "reaction time" as the car starts the slow as soon as you lift your foot rather than when you press the brake.

Although we seem to be wandering off topic, I have just read the service report for 45000km and the brake pads had 6mm front and 7mm rear left. Probably 8mm new. May get a few hundred thousand kilometres.

gwatpe said:
Although we seem to be wandering off topic, I have just read the service report for 45000km and the brake pads had 6mm front and 7mm rear left. Probably 8mm new. May get a few hundred thousand kilometres.

And that is probably within the margin of error :lol:

If you look at the calipers through the wheel spokes, you can see a wear indicator tab, there is a thin bit sticking out that is flush with the caliper when new. So, you can check pad wear "on the fly".

StevePHEV said:
Mine displayed 34 this morning - I was very excited!

Still only managed about 22...

22 is pretty good this time of year - I just went out on a full charge, drove about 6 miles and got back showing just over half full! And it only showed 90% EV.

I think the guess-ometer is calibrated in KM!
I am doing about 1Km per real mile.
T'other day I drove from Spetisbury to Sherborne on EV, ran flat at Sturminster Marshal. ran on 'charge' to Sherborne. stopped for an hour went on to Langport 15 miles, demonstrated to friend for 4 miles (with heavy right foot to show torque.) Flat-bat just as I entered Sherborne. Drove to Blandford on petrol then 'charge' to Poole. 12 miles in battery (indicated) on arrival home. Plugged in to 13amp and showed 38 miles, next morning, switched on showed 32. went 50 yard dropped to 28. Finally did 19 real miles before going flat.
The guess-ometer is not fit for purpose and is a load of conjones!!
Not unhappy though. Still a cheaper car to run than my 1.2 Yeti auto. But I doubt if it would be if the RFL was not taken into account.
Nice to be in a bigger car again though!
Apart from the lying buggas at Mitsubishi Corporation I think it is a great car! :D

maby said:
StevePHEV said:
Mine displayed 34 this morning - I was very excited!

Still only managed about 22...

22 is pretty good this time of year - I just went out on a full charge, drove about 6 miles and got back showing just over half full! And it only showed 90% EV.

My daily commute is 10 miles each way and I am getting into work and home 100% E.

I am having the pre heat on in the morning can get into work without any heating or blowers on, and on the way home its only on for a short time.

I have had the car since Friday and done 250 miles and used 1/3rd of a tank, and started to miss the petrol station.

Carnut said:
I think the guess-ometer is calibrated in KM!
I am doing about 1Km per real mile.
T'other day I drove from Spetisbury to Sherborne on EV, ran flat at Sturminster Marshal. ran on 'charge' to Sherborne. stopped for an hour went on to Langport 15 miles, demonstrated to friend for 4 miles (with heavy right foot to show torque.) Flat-bat just as I entered Sherborne. Drove to Blandford on petrol then 'charge' to Poole. 12 miles in battery (indicated) on arrival home. Plugged in to 13amp and showed 38 miles, next morning, switched on showed 32. went 50 yard dropped to 28. Finally did 19 real miles before going flat.
The guess-ometer is not fit for purpose and is a load of conjones!!
Not unhappy though. Still a cheaper car to run than my 1.2 Yeti auto. But I doubt if it would be if the RFL was not taken into account.
Nice to be in a bigger car again though!
Apart from the lying buggas at Mitsubishi Corporation I think it is a great car! :D

If you are going to generate battery power on the fly in this way, then the "guessometer" correctly indicates more miles than the battery alone can deliver. As jaapv indicates, if you use the car in a way it is not designed for then you can't expect the system to fully understand what is going on. :?

greendwarf said:
If you are going to generate battery power on the fly in this way, then the "guessometer" correctly indicates more miles than the battery alone can deliver.
:shock:

greendwarf said:
..., if you use the car in a way it is not designed for then you can't expect the system to fully understand what is going on. :?
Odd statement. If the car was not designed to "generate battery power on the fly", then why does it have a generator and why does it have a charge button?

I am still puzzled as to why my PHEV after 1 3/4 hours of plugged in charging still reported on the dash over 10 more hours to go. Will be interesting to see the predicted range number tomorrow when the recharge is finished. Even got the photo evidence.

Back