Miles displayed after full charge

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anko said:
The E-motors can not propel and brake at the same time. There is no braking force in B5 as long as your foot is on the pedal. With proper control of the pedal (lifting not all the way), you can still let the car coast, even in B5. When hitting the brakes in B0, regen capacity is less than in higher B-settings.

I appreciate this, maybe I didn't make my point clearly enough. I was referring to the fact that in B5 mode, when you lift off the accelerator you will notice a relatively high braking force and therefore decelerate rapidly meaning that you will have to go back on the accelerator again sooner than if you were in B0. This results in a 'jerky' driving style which can't be very pleasant. On the MY16 car it would also mean the brake lights come on every time you take your foot off the accelerator.

DazzyB said:
anko said:
The E-motors can not propel and brake at the same time. There is no braking force in B5 as long as your foot is on the pedal. With proper control of the pedal (lifting not all the way), you can still let the car coast, even in B5. When hitting the brakes in B0, regen capacity is less than in higher B-settings.

I appreciate this, maybe I didn't make my point clearly enough. I was referring to the fact that in B5 mode, when you lift off the accelerator you will notice a relatively high braking force and therefore decelerate rapidly meaning that you will have to go back on the accelerator again sooner than if you were in B0. This results in a 'jerky' driving style which can't be very pleasant. On the MY16 car it would also mean the brake lights come on every time you take your foot off the accelerator.
Sure. But nobody says you have to take your foot all the way of the pedal every time. You can also lift just a little bit. Takes some practice, but works fine. If you want to coast, you lift a little bit. If you want to slow down (for a roundabout) you lift a little bit more :)

I have to confess, I don't know if the brake lights on an MY16 turn on when you lift just a little bit. I cannot imagine they do, but who can check?

From the start I treated the estimated EV range a bit like the advertised mpg for a car or a 'previously at' price in the sale - with a very generous pinch of salt! I took delivery of the car in early Sept and at full charge it said 30 miles most days and as I was not using heater, heated seats and doing all urban/suburban trips with lots of stop/start was getting around 25 miles a day without charging and still with some battery left at the end of the day (not sure how much). Now doing the same daily trips, but using the pre-heat function, obviously having to use lights, wipers and keeping the interior from steaming up. The other day I had done 20 miles and the EV range went to ----, I managed another two miles with the engine just coming on as I rounded the corner into our street. So 22 miles in heavy rain all day, which I though was pretty good. Having said that, I did have a lot of downhills, so managed a fair bit of regen braking which I think helped!

Had my PHEV just over a week now and not very happy with it's EV performance. :( With VERY careful driving, everything turned off, economy button on, regenerative source on level three.
I have just completed 17 'real miles' and have 4 'electric miles left. Therefore 1 'electric mile' is apparently equivalent to roughly HALF a 'real mile'.
After full charge it shows 33 mile range on battery.
Poole Mitsubishi have promised to have a look next week. Apparently the sales chap thinks it may need a 'tweek'.
Any comments from anybody appreciated.

Carnut said:
Had my PHEV just over a week now and not very happy with it's EV performance. :( With VERY careful driving, everything turned off, economy button on, regenerative source on level three.
I have just completed 17 'real miles' and have 4 'electric miles left. Therefore 1 'electric mile' is apparently equivalent to roughly HALF a 'real mile'.
After full charge it shows 33 mile range on battery.
Poole Mitsubishi have promised to have a look next week. Apparently the sales chap thinks it may need a 'tweek'.
Any comments from anybody appreciated.

Using the Aircon cuts the mileage in two :eek: but then I've never seen 33 miles range after charge, so perhaps it is that the dealer is going to "tweek", as 20 odd miles is very much the norm for this time of year.

Just run it flat.
The last (electric) mile lasted about 3(real) so total before petrol kicked in 21.5
I suppose I had better stop moaning.! :roll:

Carnut said:
Just run it flat.
The last (electric) mile lasted about 3(real) so total before petrol kicked in 21.5
I suppose I had better stop moaning.! :roll:

'fraid you must - when (if?) the temperature actually does get down to near zero, 21 miles will look pretty good! I reckon on 16 in the middle of a real winter.

Sorry to be a bore. Steep learning curve this ere noo fangled leccy motor thungummyjig.
I charged it last evening for 7 hours (13 amp plug) and it said "fully charged, remove cable."
Then showed only 29 miles. This morning I had gone 100 yards and it dropped to 28 :?: :?: :?: :?:
Q1 What's going on? It was mid 50's F at the time so not cold.
Q2 What is the most economical overall way of driving it? I often drive 40 miles Poole to Sherborne and cannot charge it in Sherborne.
Is it therefore, best to run ALL the way on 'Charge' :?:
I ran it for about 3 miles this morning on 'charge' and it showed 60mpg. This was round town. re-gen was on '4'.
All advice gratefully received.

Carnut said:
Sorry to be a bore. Steep learning curve this ere noo fangled leccy motor thungummyjig.
I charged it last evening for 7 hours (13 amp plug) and it said "fully charged, remove cable."
Then showed only 29 miles. This morning I had gone 100 yards and it dropped to 28 :?: :?: :?: :?:
Q1 What's going on? It was mid 50's F at the time so not cold.
Q2 What is the most economical overall way of driving it? I often drive 40 miles Poole to Sherborne and cannot charge it in Sherborne.
Is it therefore, best to run ALL the way on 'Charge' :?:
I ran it for about 3 miles this morning on 'charge' and it showed 60mpg. This was round town. re-gen was on '4'.
All advice gratefully received.

29 miles is optimistic - 22 or 23 is more realistic. It will drop lower if the temperature gets close to zero. You can improve it by driving gently and keeping the heating and aircon off, but it is really difficult to get 30 out of it.

Don't drive on Charge unless you are carrying a heavy load - primarily towing - or driving in hills. If you are doing an 80 mile round trip without charging, you are going to be running on petrol a lot of the time. There are different views on how best to use you 20-odd miles of EV range, but no particular strategy seems to improve overall fuel efficiency much over any other, so you are probably just as well off leaving it in Normal all the time. Selecting Save on high speed stretches will increase the EV range somewhat.

anko said:
Carnut said:
Under current conditions? I guess most of us envy you :oops:

:D I don't remember the last time I got 24!

Knowing the Netherlands passably well, I would think your ambient temperature is a lot lower than the UK ;)
Have just spoken to my Dealer and he cleared a few things up for me.

BTW The APP simply does not work so the Dealer said pop in and he would sort it. I must admit Poole Mitsubishi are VERY helpful. full marks to them.

Carnut said:
Knowing the Netherlands passably well, I would think your ambient temperature is a lot lower than the UK ;)
Have just spoken to my Dealer and he cleared a few things up for me.

BTW The APP simply does not work so the Dealer said pop in and he would sort it. I must admit Poole Mitsubishi are VERY helpful. full marks to them.

The performance figures quoted in the adverts really are optimistic for normal use - I reckon that 24 miles on EV is pretty good in the middle of the summer. I have managed 29 miles by driving it very gently, but it is not consistent with normal day-to-day driving conditions.

ANKO et al.
Being new to this hybrid thingy I asked him which was the most economical way to drive it.
I (wrongly ) assumed run it on 'charge'. The the P would only come on when the E dropped below a certain level. But apparently not. it trys to propel the car AND charge it thereby using vast quantities of P.
But he said definitely NOT. Run it on E until it goes nearly flat and let the petrol will kick in and just run it like that (this is for my 80 mile round trip to Sherborne where I cannot recharge)
Also he said that I should set the heater to warm the car up using the App . This will apparently prolong the battery life , though I can't se why it should. I rarely turn the heater on at all & if I do it is only to clear the fugged windscreen and I steer clear of using the air con. I know it is not cold at the moment down here in Deepest darkest Dorset but I think the extra 'padding' for the sound deadening also makes it warmer than a normal car.
I pointed out that I could not get the App to work and he suggested I pop in and he will re-install it for me.

Thanks. Curious to learn what kind of EV range you end up with.

Carnut said:
Also he said that I should set the heater to warm the car up using the App . This will apparently prolong the battery life , though I can't se why it should.
I think it only makes sense to do so when you were planning to use the heater anyway, during your drive. In that case, it would be better to preheat your car using GRID electricity, so you can start your journey with a "as full a possible" drive battery.

Even when your trip is well within EV range it may still serve a purpose. When it gets colder, the car will start thinking (for you) that it is a good idea to start the engine for heating purposes, even when there is plenty of electricity available to use just the electric heater. There is no way of stopping the car from doing so ... other than preheating.

Gosh, very glad I'm not the only one disapppointed with the new car...

The salesman called after a couple of days and seemed quite hurt when I said I'd started saving for an MX5...and that it's new name is The Lemon.

I haven't bothered adapting my driving style - some days I get av 85mpg when I get to work, other days it's closer to 40 mpg. It's a 25 mile trip, half motorway, half urbann - and I can't charge at work until someone finds a directive I can quote that will encourage the company to install charging points - they see it as subsidising my travel - though I have poiinted out it doesn't have to be free electric...

The OH and I argue constanly about the most economical way to drive it without being a danger to other road users. He will only use Eco mode, turns off the blowers and wears a coat, has closed the sunroof screen, won't accelerate to close gaps in traffic....and we both get similar figures, with my driving being far more progressive and comfortable - and I use the paddles to go up and down thru B3 to B5 to prevent having to brake or coast - and I can't say I have seen the reflection of brake lights on the car behind me.

It's an iPad on wheels, too clever for it's own good.

Ollycat said:
Gosh, very glad I'm not the only one disapppointed with the new car...

The salesman called after a couple of days and seemed quite hurt when I said I'd started saving for an MX5...and that it's new name is The Lemon.

I haven't bothered adapting my driving style - some days I get av 85mpg when I get to work, other days it's closer to 40 mpg. It's a 25 mile trip, half motorway, half urbann - and I can't charge at work until someone finds a directive I can quote that will encourage the company to install charging points - they see it as subsidising my travel - though I have poiinted out it doesn't have to be free electric...

The OH and I argue constanly about the most economical way to drive it without being a danger to other road users. He will only use Eco mode, turns off the blowers and wears a coat, has closed the sunroof screen, won't accelerate to close gaps in traffic....and we both get similar figures, with my driving being far more progressive and comfortable - and I use the paddles to go up and down thru B3 to B5 to prevent having to brake or coast - and I can't say I have seen the reflection of brake lights on the car behind me.

It's an iPad on wheels, too clever for it's own good.

85mpg is pretty good for a car of that size, you know! Actually 40mpg is not at all bad. On a 50 mile round trip of which half is motorway, you should be able to get 60mpg without too much difficulty - do remember that the auto-setting MPG calculator will reset while you're at work, so your return journey will appear a lot worse than the outgoing figure.

I certainly would agree that the car is oversold, but it is pretty economical for a large, heavy, un-aerodynamic 4WD. If you are saving for an MX5, then that would imply that you really are not that wedded to the idea of a large 4WD - in which case the PHEV probably does not make sense for you.

anko said:
Even when your trip is well within EV range it may still serve a purpose. When it gets colder, the car will start thinking (for you) that it is a good idea to start the engine for heating purposes, even when there is plenty of electricity available to use just the electric heater. There is no way of stopping the car from doing so ... other than preheating.

I thought, Anko, we'd finally killed off this urban myth :eek: If the heating is set to minimum (15c in UK) then even with the Aircon on you only get cold air and the ICE does NOT start :mrgreen:

BTW - I was interested to note last night that, when I unusually for me had the heating on (22c) here in sub-tropical Sarf Lundun (18c) to keep the screen clear, the car went into Charge/Save mode - i.e. even though the ICE was cycling on and off, the dash display (Gx3) showed a static amount of battery level and the predicted EV range crept up from 4 to 6 miles.

This would seem to indicate that despite previous posts on the subject that the car does feed "surplus" energy into the battery if not needed for heating. :p

Back