Miles per gallon?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwcltd

I'd love to see a display which gives miles/gallon, not just for the miles done when the petrol engine is running but total miles driven divided by petrol used. Surely this is on a screen somewhere but I can't find it. Any ideas?

I believe that is the only figure that is displayed. Don't be misled by the "__._" display when you first start driving - that is just a symptom of poor programming - it cannot display a number greater than 99.9mpg, so it just shows "__._".

Obviously, if you manage to run pure EV, no petrol is burned and the mpg is infinite. As soon as the engine kicks in, the calculation is total distance travelled divided by petrol burned. It is clearer if you switch to litres per hundred km - it then correctly shows 0 if you have run pure EV.

While there is some disagreement as to the real fuel consumption in pure petrol mode, it is certainly no better than 50mpg - if your screen is showing figures of 60, 70, 80mpg, then it is showing a combined figure.

That's correct, it is the combined figure that is shown. In the MY16 model the display can show a 3 figure MPG so on my typical daily commute of 55 miles, once the battery is depleted (or I select SAVE), the MPG figure starts to fall from around 800mpg to anywhere between 55 and 75mpg at the end of the journey (depending on my eagerness to get to work ;) )

If it was only showing the petrol part of the journey then the final figure would be somewhere between 25 and 35mpg!

Thanks for the comments. I get the same info but isn't this just for the trip in progress. Surely if it was doing the average since the car was built it would be a more consistent figure?

cwcltd said:
Thanks for the comments. I get the same info but isn't this just for the trip in progress. Surely if it was doing the average since the car was built it would be a more consistent figure?
There are two measurements: one that can be reset manually (as long as you don't, it is lifetime) and one that is reset automatically whenever the car is turned off for at least four hours.

anko said:
There are two measurements: one that can be reset manually (as long as you don't, it is lifetime) and one that is reset automatically whenever the car is turned off for at least four hours.

I assume this is on MMCS? As a lowly GX3h+ driver I only have the dashboard display and only get the trip mpg, not a cumulative/lifetime one.

DazzyB said:
anko said:

I assume this is on MMCS? As a lowly GX3h+ driver I only have the dashboard display and only get the trip mpg, not a cumulative/lifetime one.

It does exist on the GX3h, but it is a real pain to switch between the two measurements. I don't remember exactly how you do it, but it involves dropping down into the setup screens for the display and it is a long way from intuitive.

To switch between the manual and auto reset screens on the dash, you need to be in park, with the handbrake ON. Not very useful as a driving tool.

I don't know about mpg, but I now have a working $/100km calculation on my Torque PRO logged data analyser. This uses petrol and electricity consumption to work out an average for a particular drives cost, or any part within.

Back