MY 2019 Phev no wheel paddles?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: "B5 to slow down at higher speeds will not only have the highest losses but put stress on the battery."

We're in the realms of would MBS install a feature that stresses the battery, I guess the jury is still out on that!

Is that more stress than plugged charging at 16Amps, or even higher with Chademo?

ThudnBlundr said:
MadTechNutter said:
Driving only in B5 and trying to hold the pedal somewhere in between is not a good thing.
There are thermal losses using regen and the higher the regen current the more losses.
Using B0 as much as possible will always be the most efficient way to drive but only using B5 to slow down at higher speeds will not only have the highest losses but put stress on the battery.
I'm sorry, but have you any evidence for your bold statements? Or are you confusing opinions with facts?

1. Why is driving in B5 "not a good thing"? Show me the facts. I find that I can coast in B5 fairly easily for the short times that I need to, and it uses exactly the same amount of energy as coasting in B0. It also means that I can start slowing more rapidly if the need arises without having to press the brake or play with the paddles, so it is safer. But I'm willing to be swayed by your proof.

2. There are all sorts of losses using regen, so I'm not sure what relevance purely thermal losses have. How much extra energy is lost using regen in B5 or B2? I'd be surprised if it was measurable in normal driving. Or if you don't use regen, you have to use the disks and waste energy as heat. But again I'm willing to be swayed by your proof.

3. Please show your evidence for stating that B0 is the most efficient way to to drive. In my experience it is not, but as ever I'm willing to be swayed by your proof.

I'm with you on this... practically, I can't understand how there would be any difference between coast in B0 and doing the same with light throttle in B5. I used to drive the car in B0 and flip through the B's constantly. Then on the advice of another once they explained how the B's and throttle actually work together, have been driving in B5 all the drive and adjusting how much regen braking I experience with the throttle. I have noticed zero difference in efficiency on my daily commute... I think I may actually be catching a little more regen than I did when using B0 all the time. But what is noticeable is how much "easier" or "uncomplicated" driving is now compared with constantly flipping the paddles. Not that it was hard... I just got tired of it... much better now.

I now believe Mitsubishi never intended for us to be constantly flipping through the B's. And rather it's supposed to be just a option... it allows us to choose the feel that we prefer while driving. Because no matter which level you choose, once you begin applying the brake, the software will take you through all the levels anyway. If you prefer to feel like you're gliding and only have the regen kick in once you begin to brake, choose "0". If you prefer to drive with the throttle and want regen to kick in hard immediately as soon as you release the throttle, choose "5". Or anywhere in between.

I used to think that while driving in "5", as soon as I used the throttle I was using energy and I was competing against the re-gen. Obviously that is not the case... and you can watch how the energy flows by watching what happens on the info screens. The Eco/Regen dial is your friend.

IslandLife said:
I used to think that while driving in "5", as soon as I used the throttle I was using energy and I was competing against the re-gen. Obviously that is not the case... and you can watch how the energy flows by watching what happens on the info screens. The Eco/Regen dial is your friend.
Indeed. Many people don't realise that the "coast-point" moves as you change 'B' settings, so upping the level makes the car feel more sluggish as if someone's added regen. As you say, it's only by watching the various bits of info can you see what's really happening.

I feel much more in control using B5 most of the time. I'm in no way saying everyone should do the same - each to their own. It's just the occasional misinformation that I'm against

Back