Mythbusting and the facts known about the Outlander Phev.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stvtech said:
Trex said:
Will look up those towers. Thanks for the info. :)
Just took a low res pic from the office... (zoomed in somewhat!)

towers.jpg

The tower nearest is Perrott's folly, the other being the tower of the Edgbaston Waterworks.

Tolkien grew up within sight of these (he lived for a time near my house later in life...), hence the supposed inspiration. :cool:

Thank you very much for showing this. :D

Wow. :shock: I can see that as a boy growing up around those towers he would be in inspired to bring them into a fantasy tale later on. They look just like something I imagined after reading his books.

drdel said:
Back to the 'CVT' myth.

A CVT has the capability to have almost infinitely variable ratios between the input and out shafts. A conventional 'gearbox' has fixed ratios defined and selected by the intermesh of machined gears.

Mitsubishi's PHEV has neither of these: it is a straightforward fixed ratio transmission with a defined max. torque slippable, multi-plate clutch capable of connecting the ICE as required by the power requested and the input shaft speed.

Now you have done it. :eek: :lol:

Reminds me of that Faulty Towers episode.

Don't mention the War. ;)

Or in our case:

Don't mention the CVT. :lol:

maby said:
drdel said:
Back to the 'CVT' myth.

A CVT has the capability to have almost infinitely variable ratios between the input and out shafts. A conventional 'gearbox' has fixed ratios defined and selected by the intermesh of machined gears.

Mitsubishi's PHEV has neither of these: it is a straightforward fixed ratio transmission with a defined max. torque slippable, multi-plate clutch capable of connecting the ICE as required by the power requested and the input shaft speed.

Without wanting to reignite a thread that got very messy, your statement above only applies to the PHEV running in parallel hybrid mode at relatively high speeds. In serial hybrid mode, there is no mechanical transmission in play.

Messy. Nah. We now know there is no CVT in the PHEV. :mrgreen:

Oops. :shock: I mentioned the War. :oops:

Basil Faulty would be proud of me. :cool:

ps there are gears between the electric motors and the wheels. I guess under the standard definitions of a mechanical transmission......... ;)

Sorry. The engineer in me could not help himself. :)

1. It does not have a Atkinson Cycle petrol engine. But it might someday.
2. It does not have a continuously variable transmission (CVT) at the moment.
3. Charge mode does not use 20% more fuel when including the Ev distance it has or will increase.
4. It is more efficient to convert petrol energy to electrical energy and back to mechanical energy at the petrol motors most efficient zone or sweetspot than just using petrol energy in its inefficient zone. The Phev does this.
5. Battery levels have a measurable affect on fuel consumption.
6. Battery levels effect the level of regen.
7. Parallel mode is more efficient than Series mode.
8. It does have a clutch.
9. It does have a gearbox or transmission. Single speed.
10. It does not have a teeny weeny fuel tank. You are getting it mixed up with the BMW i3 with Range extender.
11. It has a chain driven camshaft. No toothed belts.
12. It has a maintenance mode. Even when battery is full the petrol motor can be started. Hold charge button more than 10 sec.
13. It has 2 oil pumps. I petrol motor driven 1 electric.
14. It has 2 water coolant pumps. 1 petrol motor driven 1 electric.
15. 2 Air conditioners circuits. Cabin and HV battery.
16. It takes an hour to charge to approx. 85% SOC but only 1/2 hour to charge to 50% SOC using charge mode when stationery or under light loads when travelling.
17. The battery charger is in the Phev not on the wall or where you plug into. Called the On Board Charger (OBC) but see 20.
18. In Series mode the max power is 120Kw (160.9hp)
19. In Parallel mode the max power is approx. 149Kw (199.8hp) at 170kph.
20. The rapid charger port bypasses the OBC.
21. It has a electric motor on both the front and back axle making it a electric 4wd. 60Kw each motor. The first mass produced electric SUV.
22. It has a "virtual" centre differential lock.

Any problem you have with these points let me know.
Or if other people wish to add to them please do.

Disclaimer. Some of these points are what I have measured or observed on my PHEV.
0.1 - it does not have a "battery heater for operation in cold weather" ('23/24 models) as stated in the 2023 specs - it was deleted after 2022 but is on the spec sheet for 2023

Back