Mythbusting and the facts known about the Outlander Phev.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jaapv said:
Still, there is an amazing amount of misinformation and plain mistakes in Wikipedia. Despite its pretensions, it is not the sum of all human knowledge. I had a run-in with the editors over my father's obituary. Not very professional and rather biased and ignorant, in my experience.
Did the article have source material?

But yes. I think it is wise to search in more places than Wikipedia for reference material or advice. I know I do.

My copy of the The Engineering Handbook gets a big workout in my line of work.

ian4x4 said:
Shouldn't we just produce a unique definition for the Outlander PHEV's drive train.

Ok I will start this off under duress. :shock:

A plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV). Nope standard definition. Bugger. :(

Ok I had my go.

Anyone else?

Sorry ian4x4 just joking. I take it you appreciate the effort that went into designing the Phev as others and myself do?

ChrisMiller said:
So whether we choose to describe the PHEV as having a CVT or not is irrelevant, it's what it actually does that matters. And as I (now, thanks to this thread) understand it: when operating in parallel mode, the engine's rpm is a fixed multiple of the rotational speed of the wheels; whereas in serial mode, it isn't. Does anyone disagree, and (if so) why? If we're all agreed, we can move on to deciding how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

I think it is relevant because of the name of this topic.

I think we probably know what is actually does "to some degree" but unless we know the designers and engineers intimately we will probably not know it all.

But its the facts of what we do know that I would like to put on that table at the start of the topic. Or bust the myths we read on this forum or elsewhere.

Trex said:
ian4x4 said:
Shouldn't we just produce a unique definition for the Outlander PHEV's drive train.

Ok I will start this off under duress. :shock:

A plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV). Nope standard definition. Bugger. :(

Ok I had my go.

Anyone else?

Mitsubishi call it a Single Fixed Gear http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/vehicles/outlander-phev/specifications
Caradvice call it a 1 speed http://www.caradvice.com.au/390997/2016-mitsubishi-outlander-phev-review/
Carsguide call it a single speed fixed ratio http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-reviews/2014-mitsubishi-outlander-phev-review-video-27822

So it seems single or variants of it seems to be universal. I have not seen any professional guides call it a CVT. If you can call a single fixed gear transmission CVT, I'm going to start advertising my fixie bike as a continuously variable transmission system - variable of course by the amount of leg power the rider puts in.

I can't believe this conversation has gone on so long and over so many threads.

Ok after spending my lunch eating sandwiches and searching the web (again) and avoiding Wikipedia :lol: because some people do not trust it I have come up with the following.

Series mode like on our Phev has a drivetrain or transmission called a:

1. Series hybrid drivetrain or transmission. I kid you not. This comes up regularly.
2. Petrol or diesel-electric drivetrain or transmission(depending on type of motor). Again comes up regularly.
3. Petrol or diesel-electric Hybrid drivetrain or transmission (depending on type of motor). Again comes up regularly. The hybrid gets put in this definition because of the drive battery being part of mix. Ok to me that seems fair enough.
4. Gasoline-electric Hybrid drivetrain or transmission. Ok I think you know where these definitions come from.

No matter how hard I try I cannot find it classed as a CVT.

Does it ACT like a CVT ? I will not comment on that at this moment. :lol:

Trex said:
[
So greendwarf every time that phone rang or someone knocked on the door I would be worried if I were you. :?

They could be coming to get you. :shock:

Unlikely - as I'm one of those doing the knocking here in the UK :twisted:

Trex said:
jaapv said:
Still, there is an amazing amount of misinformation and plain mistakes in Wikipedia. Despite its pretensions, it is not the sum of all human knowledge. I had a run-in with the editors over my father's obituary. Not very professional and rather biased and ignorant, in my experience.

But yes. I think it is wise to search in more places than Wikipedia for reference material or advice. I know I do.

Yes it did. They refused a copy of a diploma of his because it had Tolkien's signature on it (for copyright reasons(sic!)). I had to go to the University of Oxford to tell them that it was blathering nonsense, and then they refused to allow a reference to his parentage out of sheer bias.

greendwarf said:
Trex said:
[
So greendwarf every time that phone rang or someone knocked on the door I would be worried if I were you. :?

Ok. From now on I will call you Mr greendwarf or Sir. :)

You want me to jump Mr greendwarf. How high Sir. :)

jaapv said:
Trex said:
jaapv said:

Yes it did. They refused a copy of a diploma of his because it had Tolkien's signature on it (for copyright reasons(sic!)). I had to go to the University of Oxford to tell them that it was blathering nonsense, and then they refused to allow a reference to his parentage out of sheer bias.
Tolkien. As in J.R.R. Tolkien? As in The Lord of the Rings J.R.R. Tolkien?

Trex said:
greendwarf said:
Trex said:
[

At last, some proper respect for a whinging Pom :p

greendwarf said:
Trex said:
greendwarf said:

At last, some proper respect for a whinging Pom :p

:lol:

Sorry Mr greendwarf did not mean to be rude by not replying. :oops: Forgot to look at this post. :)

Would never consider you a "whinging Pom" Sir. ;)

jaapv said:
Trex said:
Tolkien. As in J.R.R. Tolkien? As in The Lord of the Rings J.R.R. Tolkien?
Yes. He was my father's tutor at Oxford.

And jaapv,

I am also sorry for my rudeness in missing this. :oops:

Wow. :eek: I bet you are extremely proud of your dad. I know I would be .

Getting into Oxford is no small feat.

Then knowing Tolkien while there. :shock:

And obviously his other accomplishments.

Trex said:
I got into Oxford quite easily last just last year.
Did it by parking my Phev at one of the Park-n-Ride carparks and got on a free bus... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Trex said:
Then knowing Tolkien while there.
By sheer coincidence, Tolkien had resided for some time just a few hundred yards from my house.
And as I write this (at work), I can look over my left shoulder and see the two towers that are said to have inspired those that feature in the books.

This must be a CVT - (Continuously Variable Thread) :p

Stvtech said:
Trex said:
I got into Oxford quite easily last just last year.
Did it by parking my Phev at one of the Park-n-Ride carparks and got on a free bus... :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol:
Yes I walked straight into that one with my eyes wide open. :lol:

Stvtech said:
Trex said:
Then knowing Tolkien while there.
By sheer coincidence, Tolkien had resided for some time just a few hundred yards from my house.
And as I write this (at work), I can look over my left shoulder and see the two towers that are said to have inspired those that feature in the books.

As you can probably tell I am fan of Tolkien ever since I first read his books long before the movies came out. So I am in awe of jaapv's dad knowing and learning from him.

Will look up those towers. Thanks for the info. :)

All i remember of Tolkien is as a five-year old; a kindly gentleman in a raincoat and hat who gave me a pot of honey...

Trex said:
Will look up those towers. Thanks for the info. :)
Just took a low res pic from the office... (zoomed in somewhat!)

towers.jpg

The tower nearest is Perrott's folly, the other being the tower of the Edgbaston Waterworks.

Tolkien grew up within sight of these (he lived for a time near my house later in life...), hence the supposed inspiration. :cool:

Back to the 'CVT' myth.

A CVT has the capability to have almost infinitely variable ratios between the input and out shafts. A conventional 'gearbox' has fixed ratios defined and selected by the intermesh of machined gears.

Mitsubishi's PHEV has neither of these: it is a straightforward fixed ratio transmission with a defined max. torque slippable, multi-plate clutch capable of connecting the ICE as required by the power requested and the input shaft speed.

drdel said:
Back to the 'CVT' myth.

A CVT has the capability to have almost infinitely variable ratios between the input and out shafts. A conventional 'gearbox' has fixed ratios defined and selected by the intermesh of machined gears.

Mitsubishi's PHEV has neither of these: it is a straightforward fixed ratio transmission with a defined max. torque slippable, multi-plate clutch capable of connecting the ICE as required by the power requested and the input shaft speed.

Without wanting to reignite a thread that got very messy, your statement above only applies to the PHEV running in parallel hybrid mode at relatively high speeds. In serial hybrid mode, there is no mechanical transmission in play.

Back