New order placed!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThomThom

Ok new lease placed
Gx3 in Peral White dealer says delivery should be March 2nd.
My question is this, if I order a home charge point from charge master will they include a non tethered cable ?
Also which raid companies will fit best for UK driving CyC, ecotricity and polar ? I've looked at zap map and can't tell if joining all three is best ?

They may be able to supply the non-tethered cable, but it is not included with the charge point - you have to pay separately for it. If you have any intention to charge on public points, you will need it anyway.

I had my charge point fitted on Monday by chargemaster free of charge and their customer service was excellent, as well as the install. I believe you can opt for either tethered or non thethered option. I went for a tethered 16amp installation to save faffing around with the lead that comes with the car every time i want to charge, which can stay in the boot. All I need now is the car, which hopefully should be here very soon.

Pords said:
I went for a tethered 16amp installation to save faffing around with the lead that comes with the car every time i want to charge, which can stay in the boot.

That's why I went for the untethered point, because the cable you get with the car can only be used in a standard 3 pin socket so I have ordered the type 1 to type 2 cable which I will use at home to charge and I can also use it at public stations. This way I know I'll get my moneys worth out of the cable.

I went for a tethered unit and am very happy with the setup due to ease of use etc.

When considering tethered/untethered you need to consider how often you will use public charge points and for what length of time.

Most public places I arrive at I do so with a relatively full battery with more than enough capacity to get back home again.

The only other charge points I've been using are rapid chargers at services which are already tethered.

So 1700 miles in and no real need for a cable, and at a cost of £160 approx hadn't really seen the need.

Though when the missus asked me what I wanted for my birthday, gave that as an option, as I don't really need anything so at least it may get some use.

In my case, the real deciding factor was the preferred location for the charging point and the dimensions of the unit. We live in a town house with the garage door inset two or three feet into the front wall of the house. I wanted the charging point outside (never use the garage for the car) and decided to have it installed on the wall of the inset - not really enough space on the outside facing wall. There is enough clearance between the edge of the garage door and the wall to be able to open the door with an untethered point fitted, but the tethered points that I saw all seemed to expect you to stow the unused cable plugged into the middle of the face of the point - that would block opening the garage door.

I know that it is not mandatory to stow the cable like that, but just leaving it dangling would have left it vulnerable to dirt and rain. At the time of ordering, I still had some expectation of using public charging points, so I went for the untethered unit and bought my own cable. In practice, I've never charged anywhere other than at home, but I don't mind too much - the untethered unit is still a better fit for our installation.

I have a tethered unit because:

- ease of use
- work from home
- public rapid chargers are tethered too
- I would very rarely, if ever, use a 32A public charger as a full charge would take 3 hours and only relate to £2-3 of petrol

maby said:
In my case, the real deciding factor was the preferred location for the charging point and the dimensions of the unit. We live in a town house with the garage door inset two or three feet into the front wall of the house. I wanted the charging point outside (never use the garage for the car) and decided to have it installed on the wall of the inset - not really enough space on the outside facing wall. There is enough clearance between the edge of the garage door and the wall to be able to open the door with an untethered point fitted, but the tethered points that I saw all seemed to expect you to stow the unused cable plugged into the middle of the face of the point - that would block opening the garage door.

I know that it is not mandatory to stow the cable like that, but just leaving it dangling would have left it vulnerable to dirt and rain. At the time of ordering, I still had some expectation of using public charging points, so I went for the untethered unit and bought my own cable. In practice, I've never charged anywhere other than at home, but I don't mind too much - the untethered unit is still a better fit for our installation.

I have the following configuration, so works well for me, and yes I leave the cable dangling ;)
b_130159.jpg

ThomThom said:
Ok new lease placed
Gx3 in Peral White dealer says delivery should be March 2nd.
My question is this, if I order a home charge point from charge master will they include a non tethered cable ?
Also which raid companies will fit best for UK driving CyC, ecotricity and polar ? I've looked at zap map and can't tell if joining all three is best ?

You don't say where you live, but I assume it is well outside London - if not, then you probably want a Source London card, otherwise you need to research the likely journeys. However, I would recommend Ecotricty because although you are warned about frequent use of Rapid chargers in the car's manual, you will kick yourself if you stop at a motorway service areaanyway and walk pass the empty EV charging point next to the building, realising you could have topped up for free in the 20 minutes you will spend going to the loo/shop/cafeteria etc. :oops: Their card is also used at IKEA and for the foreseeable future Ecotricity are not charging for the electricity. :D

gazter76 said:
rtw said:
My Ecotricity card came in the post this morning!

expecting mine soon also!!

Shame the rapid chargers are only on the motorways.

It really does greatly limit their value to Outlander owners - 30 minutes to take on an 80% charge which, at motorway speeds, can give you a range of less than 20 miles - which you will do in less than 20 minutes!

maby said:
gazter76 said:
rtw said:
My Ecotricity card came in the post this morning!

expecting mine soon also!!

Shame the rapid chargers are only on the motorways.

It really does greatly limit their value to Outlander owners - 30 minutes to take on an 80% charge which, at motorway speeds, can give you a range of less than 20 miles - which you will do in less than 20 minutes!
Maby,
You are missing the point. Nobody (I think) is suggesting you stop at a service station just to recharge. But if you are stopping anyway for the toilet then you may as well get the best parking space right in front of the entrance (in my limited experience) and any extra miles you get with the recharge are a bonus. Plus its more like 20-25 minutes...
Kind regards,
Mark

Ozukus: "Though when the missus asked me what I wanted for my birthday, gave that as an option, as I don't really need anything so at least it may get some use."

When you asked her what she wanted for her birthday, did she ask for a new lawnmower and a concrete mixer? ;)

Thanks guys for the help,

I'm based in Glasgow and I travel up and down the UK too varius site and on locations for up too 9 Days at a time! May make a move too London later in the year but that's just an idea.

Currently signed up for
Ecotricity
Charge Your Car
Polar Instaint
Source London

I may move the polar too Direct Debit If paid usage warrants IT but over all I think Payg if not at home and add too expenses like fule.

Have I missed any ?

Delivery Date is March 2nd - Polar White Gx3 SouthSide Glasgow

Cheers
T

Back