New UK member - some quick questions!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Se247

I am being moved back into the company car scheme. UK BIK tax rates now seem insane for more expensive higher end vehicles so the PHEV is looking like a good option to me, along with living in Zone 2 London and needing a bigger car (currently in BMW 335). With my job grade I can get a 4hs PHEV and I feel it makes sense to get this one unless anyone else can recommend otherwise.

I’ll now only be doing around 20 miles average a week, 90% will be driving in and around zone 1/2/3 London so all low speed stuff. There will be some driving out of London where I will be able to plug in at the other end on some occasions.

My main concerns are living with on street parking only I cannot plug in at home, but there are type 1 and 2 chargers by Source London close by which I can use. There are also some Polar and Pod Point chargers nearby too. But I was hoping to just sign up to one provider.

If anyone could give me some answers I’d be very grateful:

- how long would I be looking to charge from a Type 1 or a Type 2 charger? I then plan to work out what this will cost based on the rate in pence per minute.

- if I plugged in at home to ordinary uk socket - how long would a full charge take?

- is there a way to get a gut feel for what the range in cost is for a full charge if the car is plugged in at home?

- does anyone else have a similar arrangement, ie they rely on onstreet / car park charging pints only? Do you feel this works for you or do you regret making this decision?

- excusing my ignorance - do I need to buy an expensive lead in order to use the Source London / Pod Point / Polar points? Presumably the lead the car comes with is solely for plugging in at home.

- what do you feel is a realistic EV only range bearing mind it’s all low speed in London trips. I know other factors such as heavy foot etc need to be considered. Just hoping there’s a fellow Londoner to give some guidance!

- Does anyone run a lead across the street from their house to the car for charging. I’ve thought about getting protective matting but am a bit twitchy about it from a liability perspective.

- are there any other plugin hybrids planned for 2018 in the U.K. that anyone who already has a PHEV might be thinking about? E.g. Volvo XC60 BMW X3 etc?

- is there any other advice / things for me to also consider before I decide on a PHEV?

Thank you in advance!

Hi,

The economics of this car (the EV bit at least) really do hinge around being able to charge at home (cheap).

For your low usage the cost of the charging scheme membership will probably cost more than the electricity is worth compared to running on petrol, the battery range of the PHEV being so small.

Another factor of the PHEV's tiny range is that its only economic if using cheap domestic electricity, from other sources its not really worth it.

Only you can judge if the area you live in is safe enough to try laying a (protected) cable across a public street, of course you would have to connect with an earth leakage trip, a water proof trailing connection outlet to the portable chargers plug, and secure the portable charger from getting nicked. If someone manages to get a shock from messing with it your liability could be a nightmare.

I think you have 3 options.
1. Try to find a rental driveway with electrical access nearby and come to some arrangement with the owner for parking and power cost.

2. Look for another vehicle, perhaps a non plug-in hybrid or a full EV with a worthwhile range, then hire something bigger with an engine for longer trips if infrequent or use the EV car and rapid charge network by allowing more time.

3. Take the big BIK bonus and not charge the PHEV, it will happily run on petrol all day (maintains a nominal charge itself from the engine), BIK will hit a peak in 2019/2020 at 16% but the new system them kicks in 2020/21 and the BIK rate will drop to 12% thereafter. - By then a typical diesel SUV will be at least 34%!!!

(Actually it won't run on petrol all day, it will charge the battery a bit, shut the engine off, run a while on battery and repeat in a cycle.)

Hello there, I'm from outside the UK but by reading your concerns and questions I've had a few tips come to my mind. Considering your low weekly mileage, you might plan the regular full charging to take place at your workplace - if there's a parking lot or a deep level garage, it might be easy to do. The car has a 30-32 miles of EV range, so you'd have to do it only twice a week or so.

Secondly - for the home charging option - you might want to run the charge cord at some height, rather than laying it on the pavement. For example, if you have a window on the 1st or 2nd floor, and there's a post nearby eg. a lamppost on the side of the road - you can have it laid by going through the window and getting down on the post. Just an idea - but it might just work.
(In this case, best would be using some thick and top quality extender and then plug your charger into that. Obviously, your PHEV charger will be not locked and at risk of being stolen - but this looks a risk you'll probably have to take.)

You asked charging time - the official home charging time is 4-5 hours to full charge. To me it's just around 4 hours and the battery is full from empty.

You also mentioned some alternative PIH cars -- the XC60/90 for example has a lot less EV range (~18 miles) than the PHEV, has only one e-motor for the EV mode (on the rear axle ~ poor traction in bad weather) and probably is much harder to keep in EV-only mode than the PHEV is... Remember the PHEV can do some 80 mph before the ICE kicks in, the Volvo can do only about 60. That said, it's twice as quick when the ICE is in operation (200 hp vs 400 hp combined power).

It's 2018 and competitors catching up, but the PHEV still looks winning by quite a margin - that is my take.

Most of what has already been posted is true but these "out of towners" are missing our London extra factor - the Congestion Charge. The PHEV (and other EVs) don't pay this - apart from an annual £10 registration fee - so you need to factor this saving into your calculations. You can also park for "free" in Westminster (just pay for first 10 minutes for 4 hour stay).

Although not getting the BiK, as a private driver, I have a similar usage pattern. I'm afraid you will only get around 25 miles of urban driving out of a full charge. One advantage of an EV is not sitting in your own pool of pollution when not moving (which we do a lot of :lol: ).

However, I do agree that without home charging it might be difficult to make the case for the PHEV.

Just to add to the comments. I've been running a PHEV since June 2014 (bought new) and live in Chelsea.
I find it an ideal London car. Just the right size - plenty of space inside,usefully narrow for width-restricted streets, quick off the line, big enough not to be bullied by white vans/cabbies and also unobtrusive enough to park centrally without fear of theft. It is used for a 5 mile round trip school run daily by my wife at which it excels.
My other car is an AMG-Mercedes which I do not use in town if I can use the PHEV instead.
From your mileage, it sounds like a weekly charge would do - 5 hours from a domestic plug - or find a nearby charging point.
As well as Congestion Zone, you can also park for 4 hours in Westminster having only paid the minimum pay/display charge (typically 80p). Check your local council rules.
As for other options, in my view there is still nothing to touch it at the price - the BMW, Volvo, RR offerings are all at least double the price (and arguably less well engineered as not designed to be PHEVs from conception). My neighbour has a Cayenne plug-in- 9 mile range in winter.
My one word of caution (given you have a 335) is that it is not a car you will fall in love with! It is a supremely well designed, durable and functional tool and for driving in London it works very well. Nothing has gone wrong in mine - unlike the Merc.
I've done a couple of long drives in it too and it is surprisingly capable and comfortable albeit the small fuel tank is a pain.
Hope this helps.

Back