No Dashboard Clock when power is off

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good news everyone.

My wife has purchased a £1.20 LCD clock to stick inside this £41,500 car so we can tell the time without having to switch the car on :|

I don't think my previous cars had a clock display with the ignition completely off either.

What is a bit irksome however, is if you are in your car and want to check the time, you have to wait for the full boot sequence to complete on the MMCS thing in order to display the clock.

I do agree though, that fine car the PHEV may be, there are certain irritating things about it...

My top two are probably :

- Lack of sensible cubby holes and poor centre console positioning

- The 360 camera view when parking is a god-send, love the feature. But to bring it up you need to press the button at just the right time, otherwise you just get the side-view. When this happens, you need to press the button twice to get the correct top-down view up, which is often awkward as you are spinning the steering wheel at the time! I can't really see the point of the side-view with the top-view available...at most, it should be prioritised after the top-view in terms of button presses IMO

The last car that I owned that had the time displayed without having the ignition on was my Ford capri back in 1980 something and it had a lovely analogue clock at the end of the centre console :D .
The thing that does annoy me about switching the power on to use the stereo while sitting in the car, is that once you finish you have to push the start button again which powers everything up and then push it again to switch off, it should be possible to turn off the power from the first setting that just powers the mmcs without having to go through the whole cycle. Or is this already possible? and I'm just proving how dumb I am.

Well unless I'm just as dumb as you are, unfortunately I believe you're correct about the MMCS cycle. It also annoys me that you can't open or close the windows in the power switch 'red light' position (ie. when you just want the stereo/MMCS on) - well ok, I know you can for a limited amount of time after the 'blue' power switch has been turned off - I think. Although actually I can't remember the exact circumstances when this is possible.

It would certainly make a good deal of sense if you could go to the red-light position only, and then off again. I do have a 2014 'clear-lens' PHEV though, maybe the newer version now has this cabability?

I actually prefer the apperence of the earlier 'clear-lens' PHEV to the new version - I like the silver wheels, not black, and the clear lenses, and less of the chrome trim clutter. I think the earlier one looks a bit more space age (the sort of thing we were all promised on Tommorow's World in the 1970s) especially in white. I do really like the 360 cameras on the new one though.

This has got me thinking about adding a clock to the PHEV in the same area that my capri had one, In the cubby-hole just under the key slot, my kids haven't started filling this with all their crud - yet, so this could be the ideal spot for an analogue clock, one of those old smith type round gauges, ooh now I am thinking about an RPM gauge for the ICE.
Just the thought of my old capri and i'm thinking that i'm 20 all over again and adding gauges to a modern car :oops: , so it looks like I am as dumb as I thought.

Sumpy said:
Just the thought of my old capri and i'm thinking that i'm 20 all over again and adding gauges to a modern car :oops: , so it looks like I am as dumb as I thought.

Help, you've got me thinking about my mark 1 Capri. End of line special with the 3 litre body & trim - power bulge bonnet, rear bucket seats, white vinyl roof etc. but with a 1300cc engine which made running it cheap (not least the insurance). It was real collection of "left over bits" - the main wiring loom was for Scandinavian exports! A real car for "pulling" :twisted:

greendwarf said:
Sumpy said:

Help, you've got me thinking about my mark 1 Capri. End of line special with the 3 litre body & trim - power bulge bonnet, rear bucket seats, white vinyl roof etc. but with a 1300cc engine which made running it cheap (not least the insurance). It was real collection of "left over bits" - the main wiring loom was for Scandinavian exports! A real car for "pulling" :twisted:
I had a 1979 mkIII with the 1.6 pinto engine, and I use to race someone with an EV and sometimes win, but only if he was fully laden and just starting his milk round :lol:
It was a car that looked fast, but couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. But it did have a nice analogue clock.

Yoran said:
360 is immediately on when reversing though

Yes, but I tend to pull into parking spaces forward and therefore need to manually trigger the 360 camera much of the time, hence the annoyance.

While we are on the subject of clocks, can I talk about the 'clock display' option on the MMCS?....

I actually find this representation of the analog clock does look quite classy, and if I'm not listening to radio or having to see where I am going, then it's a nice uncluttered feature to have on the display.

But (there's always a but...)

It has the most stupid design flaw, which makes the thing nearly useless. Basically, the minute hand moves around the clock as you expect, but the hour-hand doesn't move until the next hour has been reached. Yes, I know it's supposed to be a space-age, trendy representation of an analog clock but this design decision means that glancing at the clockface itself, sometimes gives the wrong impression of time. For example, 6:56pm looks, at a glance like 5:56, as the hour hand is still at the '6' position, rather than nearly at the '7'. Quarter to 3 looks like quarter to 2 and so on.

You'd think the actual operation of a clock in terms of minute and hour hands had pretty much been nailed design-wise by now, given we have been refining the design since the dawn of civilisation....

greendwarf said:
Sumpy said:

My first car at 18 years of age was a 2.0S Capri ... loved that car ... mostly drove it sideways which came naturally due to many a game of Chequered Flag and Outrun.

Had a 2.8i a bit later as a second car, didn't drive that one sideways as it would have killed me :lol:

I can safely say the Outlander is faster than both of them, apart from the 2.8i in a straight line.

Back