Optimum tyre pressure

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubbsy99

I usually run my car at around 32 PSI but wanted to see what others are running the PHEV on and if it makes a difference to the MPG or ev range.

Regards
John

Hi
In my previous cars I've usually put the pressure up towards the high end of what is possible but I've stuck with the pressures the car was originally delivered with which is 35psi at about 14C.
Kind regards
Mark

Currently, my car has ben inflated (from new) to 37psi acc to the third-party TPMS that I've fitted. The pressure rises to 40psi after a good freeway (motorway) run. As it is still hovering between 4 and 15C in these parts, I'll leave the pressures alone. But will probably have to review these pressures once the temps start hitting 30 to 40C.

The information plate on the PHEV states 38 Psi if travelling 160 kms or over (they are dreaming, the limit is 110 kms in Australia except very limited portion of the country, Northern Australia) and 35 Psi for below 160 Kms. I pumped it up to 38 to improve mileage but it was too choppy in Sydney's horrible roads, ended up putting them back to 35.

ufo said:
The information plate on the PHEV states 38 Psi if travelling 160 kms or over (they are dreaming, the limit is 110 kms in Australia except very limited portion of the country, Northern Australia) and 35 Psi for below 160 Kms. I pumped it up to 38 to improve mileage but it was too choppy in Sydney's horrible roads, ended up putting them back to 35.

Hmmm - you think your roads are horrible? I'd say they are better than ours in the UK - hence our need for "Chelsea tractors" (4WD SUVs) here in London. ;)

For those of you who own a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV and do a lot of open road driving on windy roads. Keep your tyre pressure at 38 PSI not 35 PSI which is what manual suggests if travelling at under 160 km/h. Just had to replace front tyres due to side wear down to rope. Tyres balloon out when under pressure apparently and sides catch due to weight.

At the end I decided to pump fronts to 39 and rears to 37 monthly. When check before re-pump I find them to down to 35 fronts 33 rears.

I find the car much more stable running at slightly higher pressures, I tend to keep mine at 38 PSI. at 14 degrees.

An interesting and useful thread. I have kept my pressures at 35 as per manual but recently found wear on the outer edges of the fronts and had to replace them at only 20k miles. (Had to replace the rears too because of a split and a irreparable puncture.) I do lots of winding roads and note Morse90's comment. I'll increase to 38 all round and hope for less wear and increased stability too.

Gabe said:
Currently, my car has ben inflated (from new) to 37psi acc to the third-party TPMS that I've fitted. The pressure rises to 40psi after a good freeway (motorway) run. As it is still hovering between 4 and 15C in these parts, I'll leave the pressures alone. But will probably have to review these pressures once the temps start hitting 30 to 40C.
I wouldn't lower them when ambient temperatures get higher. If you do so you will increase resistance and thus tyre temperature, resulting in even higher pressures under heavy load and considerably more wear.

I thought if you messed about with tyre pressures away from the manufacturer's recommendations you risked the 'wrath of the insurer'! Or put another way the risk that they would wriggle out of a claim... :eek:

Tipper said:
I thought if you messed about with tyre pressures away from the manufacturer's recommendations you risked the 'wrath of the insurer'! Or put another way the risk that they would wriggle out of a claim... :eek:

Given that recommended tyre pressures are "when cold" and are then set differently depending on load/speed - and, of course then go up & down according to temperature when driving - I would have thought it unlikely an insurance company would be able to tell that you had deviated from them - unless grossly over/under inflated. However, the car is likely to have recorded low tyre pressure warnings which the TPMS doesn't seem to trigger until below 30 psi.

Back