Oulander PHEV starting in petrol mode only

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you put any petrol in recently? Is there a message on your dash?
The PHEV has a built in limit as to how long you can go without adding petrol before you need to add something like 15 litres, this is to preserve the fuel and prevent it from separating or something weird. There will be a clear message on the dash if that is the case.

Another culprit is the Air Flow Control - setting it to defroster flow-only keeps my (and others') ICEs kicking in at start and every 5 minutes.

Have you put any petrol in recently? Is there a message on your dash?
The PHEV has a built in limit as to how long you can go without adding petrol before you need to add something like 15 litres, this is to preserve the fuel and prevent it from separating or something weird. There will be a clear message on the dash if that is the case.
Thanks for the reply - my wife did mention there was a message relating to fuel but I didn't see it. Since then I thought I solved the problem re starting car after first start - see attached.
But the issue has come back with no fuel message.

Attachments

• part owner's manual p7-13.pdf
    855.4 KB · Views: 0
Another culprit is the Air Flow Control - setting it to defroster flow-only keeps my (and others') ICEs kicking in at start and every 5 minutes.
thanks for the reply.
I'm in Australia, never had to use the defroster mode. the dealership service department did say the ICE will come on if the battery is cold but i got the car last winter (august) and the issue has only strated to occur in the last month or so in autumn.

Thanks for the reply - my wife did mention there was a message relating to fuel but I didn't see it. Since then I thought I solved the problem re starting car after first start - see attached.
But the issue has come back with no fuel message.
my wife has confirmed the message related to low fuel only.
i'm starting to think because it is autumn here a timer is coming on because it thinks the battery is cold?????
which is BS when we live in a temperate climate, the car is garaged and thus far the temp hasn't gone lower than 8 deg celsius overnight.
how do EVs warm up the battery if there isn't an ICE?

If the message is mentioning fuel, it means that you need to put an extra 20 litres of fuel in the tank. If there is no room to do that, you need to use up sufficient fuel to make space before doing that.

my wife has confirmed the message related to low fuel only.
i'm starting to think because it is autumn here a timer is coming on because it thinks the battery is cold?????
which is BS when we live in a temperate climate, the car is garaged and thus far the temp hasn't gone lower than 8 deg celsius overnight.
how do EVs warm up the battery if there isn't an ICE?
You should get in to the vehicle and see what the message is?
She said, he said broken telephone is amusing but not for problem solving ;)

The only other common thing that starts the engine, is the difference between the temperature of the interior of the car, and the 'desired temperature' set on the dashboard, if the car's air-conditioner is not turned off before turning off the car.

What happens is the air-conditioner/heater starts up, sees the temperature difference and immediately sends a 'start engine' message. Once started, there is a minimum period that the engine has to run, before it will turn off again. (I think that amount of time varies by model, and software version.)

I suspect that, in some models, the heated seats also need the engine running to provide the heat. I can't confirm that, because I have the optional electric heater that takes care of those things, without starting the engine.

Note that you may be able to track down the cause by 'paging' to the error message, using the button on the dashboard, to the right of the steering wheel, that has an icon like a couple of pieces of paper.

Heated seats never need engine running. They're 12V low wattage off the Aux battery topped up from the drive battery via DCDC converter.

Heating will bring engine on if Climate Control has a setting of > 15 degC and ambient <10degC

How much fuel was added? If it's not more than 20 litres then it doesn't reset the 90 day timer.
i'm not sure if it was over 20 litres but since then i have filled up again (40 litres) & it is starting in EV mode.
i'm not convinced yet that it is the 20 litre min fill thing, because i have not seen any fuel warnings except for a low fuel.
anyway i'll start keeping track of fuel, temperatures differentials etc & see what the data tells me

thanks

The only other common thing that starts the engine, is the difference between the temperature of the interior of the car, and the 'desired temperature' set on the dashboard, if the car's air-conditioner is not turned off before turning off the car.

What happens is the air-conditioner/heater starts up, sees the temperature difference and immediately sends a 'start engine' message. Once started, there is a minimum period that the engine has to run, before it will turn off again. (I think that amount of time varies by model, and software version.)

I suspect that, in some models, the heated seats also need the engine running to provide the heat. I can't confirm that, because I have the optional electric heater that takes care of those things, without starting the engine.

Note that you may be able to track down the cause by 'paging' to the error message, using the button on the dashboard, to the right of the steering wheel, that has an icon like a couple of pieces of paper.
i've tried starting with the AC off but the ICE come on anyway.
the EV does eventually comes on after about 5 mins.
i will log the temperature differentials, fuel etc & see if i can find the source
i will page the error messages if i have that option

thanks

It is a constant, relatively high current draw.

Extension cords, particularly when partially coiled, can get hot under those circumstances, hot enough to melt insulation and cause fires.

Similarly, power boards are a potential source of high resistance/poor connection, which can overheat over a period of high current draw, and cause a fire.

Note that cheap power boards can overheat and cause fires even when only running a computer (less than one kilowatt of load), I saw that at work, leading to a blanket ban on all power boards.

what would be the reasoning behind this?
View attachment 1310
The reasoning is to cover their asses.

Like you are plugging that directly in to the nuclear power plant !!!
There is already an extension from one's fuse panel to the outlet.

the extension should not be coiled like already said, appropriate gauge and with tight - good receptacles to minimize sparking.

what would be the reasoning behind this?
View attachment 1310
Most Powerboards and extension cords use 16AWG and some even smaller 18AWG Cabling. These may be rated for 15 Amps but due to the length of the cabling the wires can overheat and this reduces the current carrying capacity of the wires to as low as 8 Amps which in turn can cause a lower Voltage to the Level 1 Charging Unit which can it to burn it out.

If for any reason you may need to use an extension cord make certain that the wires in the cord are at least 14AWG for lengths less than 25 ft. Should the need arise for a length greater than 25 ft then an extension Cord using 12AWG wires would be recommended.

Back