Question regarding keyless operation

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maby

I keep forgetting to ask this one when I'm logged in - just read another post which has reminded me...

I drive through parts of London from time to time which positively frighten me - and I'm in the habit of locking the car to avoid the risk of unwanted passengers jumping in! How does the keyless entry work with this? If I'm in the car (with the key fob, obviously) and I lock the doors, will someone outside who understands Mitsubishi keyless operation be able to unlock them?

No the car senses whether the key is inside or outside the vehicle; It cannot be opened from the outside when you have locked the doors and are inside (with your key)

The remedy against passengers jumping in is of course switching off the "taxi" sign on top of your roof....

and occasionally if you stand right up against the outside of the car (e.g. in a tight garage) whilst pressing the lock button with the key in your pocket, the car will think the key is still inside and won't lock!

H

what would the car do if you were in the car with the wife and she had the spare key in her pocket?

Stu said:
what would the car do if you were in the car with the wife and she had the spare key in her pocket?

The car gets EXTREMELY confused and doesn't know what to do... We have friends with a normal Aspire who do this regularly and it's hilarious to watch, because of course the key is always buried in a bag and never in easy reach when you want it! Basically whatever key it attaches to first has to complete the transaction and if it doesn't it beeps and whirrs until it gets what it wants...

thegurio said:
Stu said:

The car gets EXTREMELY confused and doesn't know what to do... We have friends with a normal Aspire who do this regularly and it's hilarious to watch, because of course the key is always buried in a bag and never in easy reach when you want it! Basically whatever key it attaches to first has to complete the transaction and if it doesn't it beeps and whirrs until it gets what it wants...

This leads to another question - I've always assumed that if you start the car keyless and then walk away from it with the key fob in your pocket, then it would stop some time after you got out of range, wouldn't it? If so, there is all sorts of scope for problems if your wife has a key. I take my wife to the station most mornings - imagine that I forget my key but she has one in her bag - she gets out of the car and heads into the station, I start to drive off till the car notices that the key has disappeared, then stops. If it doesn't do that, then I get to work and find that I have an unusable car?

maby said:
thegurio said:
Stu said:

This leads to another question - I've always assumed that if you start the car keyless and then walk away from it with the key fob in your pocket, then it would stop some time after you got out of range, wouldn't it? If so, there is all sorts of scope for problems if your wife has a key. I take my wife to the station most mornings - imagine that I forget my key but she has one in her bag - she gets out of the car and heads into the station, I start to drive off till the car notices that the key has disappeared, then stops. If it doesn't do that, then I get to work and find that I have an unusable car?
Hi,
Don't worry. If your wife has the only key then when she gets out of the car it bleeps and displays a message saying no key in car or similar. You can (I believe) continue driving the car but once you turn it off you won't be able to turn it back on without the key.

Also, you can't lock the key in the car using the buttons as it won't let you. You CAN lock a key in the car deliberately (say the wifes key in a handbag that is being left in the car) by using the remote keyfob.

Kind regards,
Mark

Hi

I have been having trouble opening the car door when the key fob is in my pocket, and have also had the situation where the car does not recognise the key fob when it is in the holder space. Could the cause be a low battery. Although the car is less than a month old.

Doesn't work on proximity when I am rapid charging. You have to physically press the button on the remote to unlock the car.

If you start the car keyless and leave the car it vill beep and show a message that the key isn't in the car. I believe that it's not possible to put the car in drive whithout the kefob in the car.

Back