Rear Electric Motor can be heard

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shamusj

When I have the seats down it is more noticeable, but does anyone else hear a high pitched "whistle" from the rear when accelerating in EV mode? I have a MY16.

Shamusj said:
When I have the seats down it is more noticeable, but does anyone else hear a high pitched "whistle" from the rear when accelerating in EV mode? I have a MY16.

Certainly not with the radio on ;)

greendwarf said:
Shamusj said:

Certainly not with the radio on ;)

Me neither...

jaapv said:
It always sounds a bit like a tram...
We don't have the luxury of trams in the southern part of U.K. but being an ardent Nederlandish-o-phile I know what you mean.
And yes my 15 plate does sound like a (very quiet) tram when pulling away gently. I would have thought it is just the normal whine you get from electric motors. Mine is not specifically from the rear.

Carnut said:
jaapv said:
It always sounds a bit like a tram...
We don't have the luxury of trams in the southern part of U.K. but being an ardent Nederlandish-o-phile I know what you mean.
And yes my 15 plate does sound like a (very quiet) tram when pulling away gently. I would have thought it is just the normal whine you get from electric motors. Mine is not specifically from the rear.

From electric motors perhaps partially, from the gearing most probably imho.

Yes the rear motors of my facelift whine between 50 and 65mph.

The noise comes and goes, the car is still 'new' so hopefully it'll go away! It is slightly annoying, but given how quiet the car is, it is not too surprising.

anko said:
SolarBoy said:
Yes the rear motors of my facelift whine between 50 and 65mph.
MotorS :shock: Must be one for drive and one for sound.

Oh, so is there one electric motor per axel anko?

This is my first 4x4, is there an electronically controlled differential to vary the power sent to each wheel?

It's not noticeable when the kids are in the back :lol:

One motor on the rear axle.
One motor and one engine (in parallel mode) on the front axle.

Power distribution front / rear is simple. Matter of controlling the motors. There is no central differential as there is no mechanical link between front and rear.
Power distribution left / right is (to my best knowledge) only possible by braking individual wheels.

SolarBoy said:
is there an electronically controlled differential to vary the power sent to each wheel?
It's my first 4x4, too. As anko points out, the power distribution is all controlled electronically, the S-AWC does a reasonable job of coping with differing grip at each wheel, but it "cannae change the laws o' physics" (to quote Cmdr Scott). The "4WD Lock" button emulates a locked central diff and can significantly improve grip, particularly off metalled roads.

anko said:
One motor on the rear axle.
One motor and one engine (in parallel mode) on the front axle.

Power distribution front / rear is simple. Matter of controlling the motors. There is no central differential as there is no mechanical link between front and rear.
Power distribution left / right is (to my best knowledge) only possible by braking individual wheels.

Agreed - each axle will have a differential to split the power flow between the two wheels and, since the drive to the rear axle is always electric, there is no need for a centre differential. Mitsubishi make no mention of the differentials being lockable or limited slip and the published tests strongly indicate that they are just standard differentials the same as you would find on any road car.

Shamusj said:

There is, obviously, the typical electric engine sound when driving away, and also when accelerating in my M2016.

A couple of weeks ago, I was in a great hurry. Since that drive, I noticed a high sound as described when doing 70 MPH on the electric engines. And yes, it is annoying. But so is AVAS (which is permanently switched off by disconnecting the cable that goes to the speaker).

Back