Recharging costs

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwatpe

I have a "ChargePoint" card and decided to check my PHEV would accept a recharge from one of the ManeKe fixed point stations. These are 15A. Was rudely shocked at the energy cost. Came up with $4.20 per hour, or part thereof. Petrol is soooo cheap compared to this. Almost seems like there is an effort to discourage drivers from recharging.

The trouble is that it is very difficult to come up with a cost model that makes a privately operated charging network commercially viable. Rapid chargers cost many thousands of pounds to install and a lot to maintain. And a car takes half an hour or more to recharge - charging stations are not like petrol pumps which can serve a dozen or more cars per hour. What occupancy can you hope for on a charging point? I suspect that during the day 50% is optimistic and over night you are unlikely to recharge more than one car. Many public charging points are probably serving as few as half a dozen cars per day - the price has to be high simply to cover the installation costs - forget about making a profit! It's even worse on a 15A charger like the one you describe - three hours to charge - I think you would be lucky to get more than two users per day.

When Source London was being put out to contract, my company could have put in a bid. I did a quick rough model and came to the conclusion that there was no way we should touch it.

Back