Regenerative Braking

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For 2020 PHEV, yes.

One way to test would be to be driving 30kmp or 18 mph and to have someone drive behind you, signaling that person to check brake lights as you paddle up from B0-B5 to find out when the brake lights illuminate.

If you are by yourself, then try driving down a residential street at about 30 to 50 kph. Look in the rear view mirror as you tap the brake pedal, observe the red reflection on the street signs behind you. Now as you drive, look in rear view mirror again, this time paddle to B1, B2, B3, B4 and B5. The brake lights should reflect off the street signs to confirm if Brake lights illuminate or not.

Good luck

For 2020 PHEV, yes.

One way to test would be to be driving 30kmp or 18 mph and to have someone drive behind you, signaling that person to check brake lights as you paddle up from B0-B5 to find out when the brake lights illuminate.

If you are by yourself, then try driving down a residential street at about 30 to 50 kph. Look in the rear view mirror as you tap the brake pedal, observe the red reflection on the street signs behind you. Now as you drive, look in rear view mirror again, this time paddle to B1, B2, B3, B4 and B5. The brake lights should reflect off the street signs to confirm if Brake lights illuminate or not.

Good luck
Thanks. Good advice - I'll try this.

It may be more complicated.
Remember that with a full battery (at least in my 2019) even B5 won't really slow down the car.
There may be some algorithim looking at your level of deceleration to decide if stop lights are appropriate or not.

Remember that with a full battery (at least in my 2019) even B5 won't really slow down the car.
There may be some algorithim looking at your level of deceleration to decide if stop lights are appropriate or not.
It won't be deceleration as such, just regen power which is a proxy for deceleration.

I have a MY16 and emailed Mitsubishi Motors UK back in 2020. This was their reply:
  1. Please can you clarify at what speed do the brake (stop) lights activate on B4 and B5?
It is the case that although exact figures haven’t been released by Mitsubishi Motors, testing shows that the B4 will activate at approximately 81mph, and the B5 at approximately 25mph.

1. Do the brake lights remain “on” only when regenerating?
The brake light will activate once you take your foot off the accelerator, however, if the battery is full and the vehicle is in the B4/B5 mode, the braking force will be significantly less and the brake lights may not come on.
  1. Assuming B4 regen is activated at 50mph and the brake lights come on, would the brake lights go off if you subsequently increase the regen strength to B5 at a subsequent speed lower than 25mph?
Once the speed drops below c. 25 mph, no brake lights would come on in the B5 mode.
  1. Do all three brake lights activate or just the “high mounted stop lamp”?
Yes – all brake lights activate.

Yes, they definitely do…. also if the Adaptive cruise control brakes you they come on then as well.. (2023 Outlander PHEV)
This is very helpful. I should have asked about this at the same time as my original question - on motorways I've wondered if vehicles behind me are warned when the ACC slows me down.

My 2019 also will not charge on regen when the battery is full.

Back