Reversing Light Options (MY16)

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevieB

Ok, as we all know, the reverse lights on these are useless.

What's the best way to upgrade, and what have other users done? Also link to any LED bulbs used etc.

Many thanks.

StevieB said:

What's the best way to upgrade, and what have other users done? Also link to any LED bulbs used etc.

Many thanks.

I've never seen the reversing light... I'm usually driving when it comes on ;)
What exactly is wrong with it?

Like most Japanese cars, there's only 1 and it's not very bright...

And why do manufacturers persist on putting the indicator on the inside of the light cluster?

I believe it is a type 582 (W21W) and LED CREE replacements are available - BUT check first as they may have changed the bulb type from earlier model (although I would doubt it).

Jeff

DazzyB said:
StevieB said:

Many thanks.

I've always found that it worked very well in combination with the reversing camera

maby said:
DazzyB said:
StevieB said:

Many thanks.

I've always found that it worked very well in combination with the reversing camera

Yes I agree, but for normal manual reversing, you can't see a thing. It could do with 2 (which also looks better from a styling perspective) or an upgraded LED bulb. Might look into that.

Cheers.

DazzyB said:
StevieB said:

Many thanks.

Ha. You said yourself, you've never seen the reversing light..... Answered your own question!

Try reversing in the dark, you'll see (or won't!)

jthspace said:
I believe it is a type 582 (W21W) and LED CREE replacements are available - BUT check first as they may have changed the bulb type from earlier model (although I would doubt it).

Jeff

Thanks Jeff - will look into it.

Ollycat said:
Like most Japanese cars, there's only 1 and it's not very bright...

And why do manufacturers persist on putting the indicator on the inside of the light cluster?

Except in Japan, they have two like my Avensis had :eek:

StevieB said:
DazzyB said:
StevieB said:

Many thanks.

Ha. You said yourself, you've never seen the reversing light..... Answered your own question!

Try reversing in the dark, you'll see (or won't!)

I reverse in the dark every day and have never had a problem. I always thought the reversing light was to inform others that you are reversing, not to provide illumination for you to see where you're going and therefore the wattage is similar to an indicator rather than a headlamp. Isn't this the case on all cars?

Are the lights perhaps different on the grade of models. I reverse in patch black (rural location no lights) when parking every night and never any issues either (4hsx)

DazzyB said:
StevieB said:

Many thanks.

Try reversing in the dark, you'll see (or won't!)[/quote]

I reverse in the dark every day and have never had a problem. I always thought the reversing light was to inform others that you are reversing, not to provide illumination for you to see where you're going and therefore the wattage is similar to an indicator rather than a headlamp. Isn't this the case on all cars?[/quote]

Both really. To see and to be seen.

Obviously they cannot be too bright, as they would dazzle other traffic when reversing, hence why some cars have two lights instead of making the one even brighter.

Compared to past cars, they are dull. I think it is because of the lower down corner position. As output will be via a standard 21w bulb (same a brake and indicator). It's just that I find the light spread Poor.

The first Ford Focus' were the same location, and same issue.

Standard bulb and location for MY16 regardless of model. Rear camera helps, but you still need that visibility.

I checked. It looks as if Mitsubishi have changed the Reversing light for MY16

Owner's manual - Page 11-24 Maintenance Reversing Lamp (RHD) & (LHD) vehicles 16 W (W16W)

For UK owners there is plenty of choice for a LED upgrade on the market. http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=LED+W16W&_sop=12

Having tried the reversing light at night (very dark, no street lights), the LED is NOT as good as the standard bulb and I will be changing it back. Also, although it cannot be seen by the naked eye, the light does have a flickering effect when viewed by the rear camera.

Jeff

Purchased some W16W for reverse light, China supplier stated 50W, interesing, 50W LED would set a W16W on fire rather Quick, but anyway, it might be 10W i thought.
The result when testing is OK, but not impressive.

Had to test the Power of the LED, the Chinees never stops surprise me!

All over the worls this is 2W, except China where it is 50W, impressive!

Back