Running in?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maby

Does anyone? The dealer made no mention of it and I can see nothing in the book. I've been keeping my speed down - although I seldom drive over 60mph anyway - has anyone here been recommended to follow any particular regime?

maby said:
Does anyone? The dealer made no mention of it and I can see nothing in the book. I've been keeping my speed down - although I seldom drive over 60mph anyway - has anyone here been recommended to follow any particular regime?

I don't see how it would be possible. Running in on a conventional car is about keeping the revs low and gentle acceleration, not really speed. You have no control over the revs of the petrol engine on the PHEV. Electric motors don't need running in.

If I were you I wouldn't even worry about it.

Running in a car was a requirement in the olden days because of the build quality of the engines and the running in process effectively removed all of the residual "garbage" that was left as part of the manufacturing process. Hence also why it was recommended at the end of this period you should change your oil as that residual "garbage" ended up in the oil.

Todays manufacturing process is so precise and clean that running in should no longer be required.

I was certainly given a running-in regime for our Prius ten years ago. If I remember correctly it was no more than 50 for the first couple of hundred miles and 60 for the next couple of hundred. It was the only time I got over 60mpg out of the car!

whilst waiting for my delivery I had conversation with a technician from MMUK (chance encounter at a friends party & he raised the subject of PHEV in case you think I was being a bore! :lol: ) who said the engines have run/tested so much before being shipped there is no run in required. I pushed the point about battery conditioning etc but he was adamant, the engines all run in and electronics take care of it all, it self-regulates the early charges (and i remember seeing predicted EV ranges change from 32 to 25 then up to 40+ miles in the first few charges, now its pretty constant). As a result i didnt bother running in. At least that was a conscious decision - unlike my VW passat delivered in 2011 having been thrashed down the M6 for over 200 miles by the delivery driver who openly admitted to having set off way too late so he had to really cane it to get to me by the end of the day!! I was not impressed at the searing hot brakes, pinking exhaust as it cooled down and the heat haze off the bonnet. Worst way to run a car in ever!

Thanks all, that is a relief! I had got half way round the M25 before it dawned on me that I should perhaps be pottering along at a crawl!

Back