Starting and stopping of engines when standing still

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAMDRIVEsys

My family owns an Outlander PHEV and we really like it, but it stops the engine every time when the car stops for a while and it is really annoying when border crossing (lots of starting and stopping in a border queue, in fact I am in one right now (don't worry, I am not the driver) and I would really like a way to keep in running in situations like this as each start has a slight delay.

Sorry, wrong forum. From your question it is likely that you do not own an Outlander PHEV, but a non-hybrid version with a stop-start system.
Our object is to drive the car without using the engine. On a PHEV you will not experience a delay as it will glide along smoothly on electric in the conditions you describe. Should one wish to keep the engine running to charge up on a PHEV, pressing the "Charge" button will do the trick.

Then why would you want to fiddle with the ICE? Start-stop traffic is perfect on EV only. And as I said, if you want to run the ICE permanently (wasting a bit of petrol in the process, but charging up), push the Charge button

The annoyance is in your head not in the vehicle. :lol:

The engine will only start when the battery is empty, or if you are accelerating hard enough that it demands more power than the battery can give.

so if you want it to start less often charge the battery more, or drive less aggressively.

Regardless, the time delay for the engine to start and stop will have zero effect on the ability to drive. The car i had before the phev was a diesel with a stop-start system, the engine would start in the time it took to move foot from brake pedal to accelerator, and it was never a delaying factor in pulling off. The PHEV doesn't even need to wait for the engine to start, it has battery reserves to get you going, the engine start is just to top it back up.

Back