Timer Charge ... don't work

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elm70

This car is all then user intuitive or friendly

I'm not sure if I did not manage to find any right working combination ... or it is just not working

I did try to set a timer for charge in special hours (I have high and low cost electricity ... at night I pay half price)

My charger was blinking .. so it was looking good ... like it was waiting to start charging

But then ... when time for charge started ... nothing happen

I did program again, replug charger ... nothing ... always in blinking mode

Only by disabling the timer ... the I made my charger to start to feed the batter

Very very very odd

Any suggestion ?

PS: I'm using the MMC , since I did not got the WIFI password from the previous owner of the car

One additional info

I have a little voltage sensore that check the 12V batter plug on the 12V round cigarette socket ... this can tell me when then 12V battery it is under charger

So ... even if my car charger is blinking, apparently the 12v battery is getting charged, since I see it goes up to 14.2v

Anyhow .. only when I disable the timer, the car charger show the full green stable light while charging

I'm very confused ... it is quite a pain to have to plug my car after 10pm .. else I waste money :oops:

Problem "solved"

I have to say that my charger is not the original one from Mitsubishi, since this unit was dead in my car (previous owner did left exposed to elements, and this unit is a dummy not water proof) .. and I got a 10A charger that is looking quite solid, at least it is water proof and has easy to replace cables in case of need ... anyhow

Maybe the car charging timer works only if the car can speak the right J1772 dialect to the charger ... a dialect not known by my charger

Anyhow ... solution is simple .. verified that my charger works fine even if I plug it to the car first and then I did power up the charger .... I just place one of my socket timer that I have at home .. and program the timer on the socket directly

I may make order a timer socket designed for outdoor ... what I have has been work great since years .. but it is an indoor design ... so even if it is under a roof and next to a wall ... it can get extra humidity in the night.

Tomorrow morning I will discover if my car got properly charged ... but there is no reason for get a surprise

EDIT: What a dummy thinking I had ... while looking on ebay for an outdoor weather proof time switch ... I did remember I do run a cable extension from my garage to the garden .. so .. just move the timer indoor from where the cable start ... and ... no more weather issue :ugeek:

This morning my charger was already power off due to the timer on the 220v supply ... and my car was fully charge and no issue at all.

I guess these charger must have a logic to handle the issue that 220v power can be lost and gain again unexpended ... since it can happen that power from the electric net can be lost and gain back

So even if the charging procedure is different ... I think I'm fine with my external timer

Quite dummy to think that a 10 USD timer does a better job then on board function of a car that new cost 40K USD

Wondering if anybody use this car timer or the app timer with success, in the case it may point out that this car timer works only with Mitsubishi charger

PS: I did program also defrost function .. but so far I put 1h before my car usage, since I defrost while is still get cheap energy .. so ... so far I'm not able to verify if does work or not ...

I use the app timer every night so it charges using cheaper off peak power rates, my settings allow charging between midnight and 0700.

In colder weather I use the wifi app (after 0700) to cancel the timer to cancel the charge timer and then to activate the car's heating 15 minutes or so before leaving home. I don't actually use the timer to start the heating because I'm retired and exit times are flexible.

Others on here do use that timer successfully however.

It is not at all necessary for the charger to be a Mitsubishi one.

It would be worth it to get your dealer to get you the wifi password.

JimB

Back