Who to fit home charge point

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave13

Hi All

Live in the north east of England looking for any recommendations of who to fit charge point and for reasonable cost. I understand the govt grant is now only £700. I am being quoted a contribution of 170 to 200.

Does anyone have any better quotes recommendations

Cheers

Dave

Hi, Chargemaster fitted mine. I missed the full grant too, so had to pay £195 towards it. Highly recommended, great service, approx. 2.5 hrs in total, hope that helps

Hi I hope you enjoy you car tomorrow I was getting mine tomorrow as well but the dealer have cocked up and now it's 3 weeks. Regarding the charge point I have missed the grant as you have but don't see the point of paying £200 to get one fitted I have put a power point in and will use the lead supplied, I may be missing something though do you get more or better results from a fixed system. What model did you get by the way .

Estuaryview said:
Hi I hope you enjoy you car tomorrow I was getting mine tomorrow as well but the dealer have cocked up and now it's 3 weeks. Regarding the charge point I have missed the grant as you have but don't see the point of paying £200 to get one fitted I have put a power point in and will use the lead supplied, I may be missing something though do you get more or better results from a fixed system. What model did you get by the way .

The fixed system charges at a faster rate 3.5 hours instead of 5.5 for the normal 3 pin. If you do it overnight like me on cheap rate electricity then the extra 2 hours is irrelevant - so I didn't go for the fixed type even before the subsidy was reduced, as I already had an external socket available.

Estuaryview said:

Thats the way I do it. I have no chance of getting a meaningful charge anywhere but at home so there is no point me carting the free charger around in the boot, it stays at home so no need to pay for one.

The portable charger supposedly takes about 2 hours longer than a fixed one to achieve a full charge. If its on charge overnight that is of no consequence.

It draws about 9.6 amps maximum but obviously for 5'ish hours so its worth investing a bit of effort into it if its going to be in daily use for several years. A dedicated single circuit socket with at least 2.5mm cable (but 4mm is just as easy and better as it will stay cooler if enclosed) back to its own 16a breaker in the consumer unit will still cost a fraction of that of a fixed charger.

I was lucky as I already had a redundant circuit that used to go to an outside socket (for a pond I think) so I adapted that.

Many people will (quite rightly!) argue that a fixed charger is 'future proofing' ready for future EV vehicles but I got my PHEV for tax reasons now and the way the BIK banding is heading, a plug in vehicle may not be so attractive a company car in a few years time so the charger would be redundant for me.

Snap. So far the extra couple of hours hasn't had any impact upon my use (and the external weatherproof socket I installed had proved useful in other circumstances too, eg jetwasher).

I'm getting the GX4HS in black, really looking fwd to it, I'm looking fwd to something different as over the years I've had all sorts of cars, hot hatches, family jobs, other 4x4's, so it's something different. I currently run an xtrail which is a brilliant car, but the outlander is replacing our current lease vehicle an Audi A1 which is one of the worst cars I have owned, crap ride, cramped, terrible mpg. Only 42 mpg over 3 years, so whatever I get on the Outlander is going to be a bonus.

I'm also re-thinking getting a charge point, 200 quid is a lot of electric, I can charge at work and I already have a good waterproof supply under a canopy in the garage, I think I'll see how it goes

Cheers, looking forward to the big day

Thanks for the response as I will charge at night it will make no difference for me so I won't bother. I would have thought lots of people will feel the same. I guess some of the small installers will feel the pinch soon now the grant has gone and will start to fight for business and bring prices down as you pointed out £200 is a lot of electric.

The primary advantage of the dedicated charging point is the ability to get a quick top-up during the day - there have been occasions when I've used up most of my charge in the morning and know that I'll be driving again in the afternoon - an hour or two on a 16A charging point midday is enough to get back up to almost 100%.

However, I must agree that the benefits are not enough to justify the current cost for many people - mine was installed close to a year ago when you got the full price covered, no questions asked - I had not even ordered the car at the time that the installation was completed.

I got my charge point installed by Chargemaster for free in March before the grant was reduced, I don't get my GX4hs till July 22nd! :mrgreen:

DO NOT use Malone's Group of Gateshead!
I asked for a tethered domestic charger. They fitted a commercial charger for which I had to buy a cable costing a further £150 on top of their £200 fitting fee. Told nothing they could do after it was fitted and called me a liar!

Nixtrix said:
I asked for a tethered domestic charger. They fitted a commercial charger for which I had to buy a cable costing a further £150 on top of their £200 fitting fee. Told nothing they could do after it was fitted and called me a liar!

Being untethered does not make it commercial - plenty of people have opted for untethered domestic installations - myself included. It sounds like a breakdown of communication - possibly with poor aftersales service - it would not have hurt them to swap it if you reported it quickly!

maby said:
Nixtrix said:

Being untethered does not make it commercial - plenty of people have opted for untethered domestic installations - myself included. It sounds like a breakdown of communication - possibly with poor aftersales service - it would not have hurt them to swap it if you reported it quickly!

I phoned Malone's within minutes of the fitters leaving. Agreed, poor service all round!

Back