2015 PHEV Handbrake & Motor Lock Failure

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a look in the handbook - section 7-14 does not surprisingly state, "P" park: The wheels are locked. When you park your vehicle, be sure to apply the parking brake and press the electrical parking switch. There's a lot of stuff in section 7-03/04 about precisely how to apply the parking brake and also about parking on uphill and downhill slopes. Wheels turned against curbs and even 'apply chocks to wheels'. So are Mitsubishi expecting the handbrake to fail then, or is this a bit of litigation speak?

The thing is - if somebody was injured or killed as a result of this specific design failure on a PHEV the implications of not having a recall would I suspect become a lot more serious. Although if you Google 'handbrake failure' it seems to be quite a common occurance on all sorts of vehicles.

I would certainly get legal advice - sometimes the threat alone is enough to scare big organisations in to paying-up. Out of court settlements usually a lot cheaper and more discreet than court proceedings. I'm quite sure you don't need all this shit though. The amount of time and grief involved so far and yet to come will no doubt be very tiresome.

Brakes can be hot when you apply the handbrake after a run. This means that you can apply the handbrake so that it holds when you first stop, but then the brakes cool and shrink slightly, so the handbrake may no longer hold. It's not as common as it used to be, but we narrowly missed a dent when a car rolled back into the car next to us in a car park on a slope...

ThudnBlundr said:
Brakes can be hot when you apply the handbrake after a run. This means that you can apply the handbrake so that it holds when you first stop, but then the brakes cool and shrink slightly, so the handbrake may no longer hold. It's not as common as it used to be, but we narrowly missed a dent when a car rolled back into the car next to us in a car park on a slope...
In a PHEV, the chance for hot brakes should be quite small, shouldn't they?

a) If the driver uses regeneration, why should the brake be hot?
or
b) If driving in "racing mode", why is he/she using a PHEV for such practice?

Always trying to keep my brake pads as cool as possible,
:), Harald

NightPHEVer said:
There's a lot of stuff in section 7-03/04 about precisely how to apply the parking brake

Actually, thinking about this - is the case on other cars too? It says in the book 'Firmly depress and hold the brake pedal, then pull the lever up without pushing the button at the end of the handgrip'. Not usual practice I wouldn't think, don't know how many people would or actually ever do this. I've been pulling the handbrake on in various cars for the last 40 years but I'm not sure I've made a point of 'firmly depressing the brake pedal' first. In fact I wouldn't say I have much in the PHEV, only if I was on a slope at the time. If the handbrake is applied without pressing the brake pedal first does it unduly stretch the cables perhaps? Or is this advice again actually a litigation concern not a mechanical one.

I have now got into the habit of periodically checking that the handbrake works though. I'm going to have a closer look at the offending operating mechanism too. I've always cleaned underneath and squirted WD40 on the handbrake gubbins at the back of the caliper but never looked closely at precisely how it operates. There are some diagrams elsewhere on this site (which I can't currently find) showing the Japanese recall of the bit that malfunctions. Although it seems that the malfunction can result either in the calipers seizing on, or not working at all.

I recently had the unfortunate experience of a partially seized brake caliper on my Smart car, especially unfortunate as I was in the process of a 500 mile journey to Inverness at the time. 22 hours and 7 different transporters later I got there. The cause almost certainly an internally collapsed flexible brake hose preventing the caliper piston from fully retracting from the disc. Well the pipe has now been changed and it hasn't done it again. What a joy. I also burnt the end of my finger prodding the disc to see how hot it was - I suppose the smoke rising from the caliper was a clue.

UPDATE: I've had a look at the mechanism and now found the Japanese recall diagram again (in General Forum 'Seized rear brake caliper' post, a link to Mitsubishi Japan) ), looks as though you'd have to take the mechanism apart and probably grease it to ensure it continues to function correctly. I've always cleaned mine and squirted WD40 on it but I don't know if that actually lubricates the operating mechanism. Mine does all still work correctly though. Makes you wonder precisely what the nature of the recall is, ie. is the replacement handbrake mechanism modified in some way, or is the caliper itself different in some way? If a UK dealer fits a new complete caliper (presumably including the handbrake mechanism bit) is it in any way different to the caliper that has been removed? If not what do we think is likely to happen sooner or later to the replacement caliper... :roll: And if the replacement caliper is different then there must be something wrong with the original one.

Being old fashioned, I still apply the handbrake every time I stop while driving and put the car into neutral - so I probably use it more than most modern drivers. It also means that I automatically have my foot on the brake pedal when pulling on the handbrake - as in manual.

Apart from the first year (which I put down to a stretched cable) I have had no problems on my 2014 car. I find the handbrake holds very well, especially when I try to drive off before release :lol:

Well after months of waiting I finally got the call from Mitsubishi UK yesterday to confirm that they will cover the repairs to the car.

Was getting close to the wire as it is due it's first MOT in about 10 days time and there is no way it was going to pass in that state.

So fingers crossed it's repaired and returned ASAP.

A4est said:
Well after months of waiting I finally got the call from Mitsubishi UK yesterday to confirm that they will cover the repairs to the car.

Very good to hear this - although it would be hard to see how Mitsubishi could wriggle out of this particular situation. It's unfortunate that it took Mitsubishi so long to admit liability though. Still think there must be a recall on the horizon.

Can you try and find out precisely what's included in the replacement of the rear calipers (or is it just the handbrake mechanism within the caliper that is replaced - knowing what main dealers usually do my money would be on the entire caliper). So are the replacement calipers modified or different in any way compared to what came off? Stands to reason that if they're not modified then sooner or later the same thing will happen again. The thing is, if they are modified or different (which in my view they must be) then the rest of us have defective calipers, don't we?

I wonder if the rear calipers fitted to a 2018 PHEV are any different in their design or function to that fitted to a 2014/15 model.

NightPHEVer said:
.... knowing what main dealers usually do my money would be on the entire caliper).....
That's what they did on mine. One new entire caliper. Other one will undoubtedly fail sooner or later I expect. No idea if it is a modified design though.

NightPHEVer said:
A4est said:

Very good to hear this - although it would be hard to see how Mitsubishi could wriggle out of this particular situation. It's unfortunate that it took Mitsubishi so long to admit liability though. Still think there must be a recall on the horizon.

Can you try and find out precisely what's included in the replacement of the rear calipers (or is it just the handbrake mechanism within the caliper that is replaced - knowing what main dealers usually do my money would be on the entire caliper). So are the replacement calipers modified or different in any way compared to what came off? Stands to reason that if they're not modified then sooner or later the same thing will happen again. The thing is, if they are modified or different (which in my view they must be) then the rest of us have defective calipers, don't we?

I wonder if the rear calipers fitted to a 2018 PHEV are any different in their design or function to that fitted to a 2014/15 model.

Well the cars been away for over a week now.
They called me to update me last night, so the bodywork is pretty much completed however one of the new calipers that were put on a couple of weeks ago is not working properly so they are waiting for another replacement caliper to arrive.

They are going to do my service & MOT at the same time so I am guessing it could be another week before I see my car back again.
I am not overly worried as I have just opened up a new business and have loads of stuff to get to the recycling center and they have given me a L200 as a courtesy vehicle ;)

Glad you're seeing progress. I reported handbrake failure in March and still waiting for parts. Already had one appointment cancelled.
I'm now at the stage where I'm going to have to SORN the car as it's due it's first MOT and clearly won't pass leading to no road tax either. So now I'm completely stranded. Dealef isn't holding out much hope for a swift solution.
What on earth is going on at Mitsubishi that they can't supply a basic, safety-critical part?

It's difficult to imagine that a Mitsubishi dealer couldn't take the existing mechanism to pieces, clean it, grease it and then reassemble it so at least you'd have reasonably safe use of it until a new part is available. Although as you say it's impossible to imagine why the new (please god, re-designed) part is not available in the first place.

cameronag said:
Glad you're seeing progress. I reported handbrake failure in March and still waiting for parts. Already had one appointment cancelled.
I'm now at the stage where I'm going to have to SORN the car as it's due it's first MOT and clearly won't pass leading to no road tax either. So now I'm completely stranded. Dealef isn't holding out much hope for a swift solution.
What on earth is going on at Mitsubishi that they can't supply a basic, safety-critical part?

Latest update in the saga.

So the bodywork is all repaired etc.

Car failed it's mot on the handbrake, the 2 new calipers that were only fitted 3 weeks ago have failed already.

Apparently there is a new design that's been agreed now and they are trying to get these issued out.

Until then I still have a hire care as issued by Mitsubishi Assistance. The dealer thinks the fact that Mitsubishi are now picking up a hire car tab on top may help focus their attention on getting the parts to them ASAP.

You should maybe try that "Cameronag"

A4est said:
Car failed it's mot on the handbrake, the 2 new calipers that were only fitted 3 weeks ago have failed already.

Apparently there is a new design that's been agreed now and they are trying to get these issued out.

Difficult to comprehend (most of this saga is 'difficult' to comprehend) that the 'new' calipers have failed already - more to do with the way they've been installed I would think.
Encouraging to hear that a 'new design' has been 'agreed'. Let's hope it's been thoroughly tested and is actually an improvement on the original.

NightPHEVer said:
A4est said:

Difficult to comprehend (most of this saga is 'difficult' to comprehend) that the 'new' calipers have failed already - more to do with the way they've been installed I would think.
Encouraging to hear that a 'new design' has been 'agreed'. Let's hope it's been thoroughly tested and is actually an improvement on the original.

Apparently they tried to free them off but with no joy. To be honest I would be insisting on something else being done regardless of them freeing them off or not.

What happens at next years MOT when they have failed again and I am stuck with a big bill!!

'Tried to free them off'? Does rather sound as if the Mitsubishi dealers mechanics don't really know what they're doing here. I mean I'm sure it's handy when it comes to moving the vehicle and not frying the pads and discs to 'free them off' but as you suggest it's entirely unlikely that the same thing won't reoccur.

If the calipers are brand new Mitsubishi parts though - even if they're to the original design - they should still work for at least as long as the original set did - ie. more than two weeks. There must be a problem with the way they've been installed. Maybe the tension relationship between the cables and the calipers? The handbrake operating mechanisms within the new calipers can't possibly seize up within two weeks.

As far as I understand it the problem occurs over time (and this does also seem like the most likely explanation) - caused by muck and resulting corrosion getting into the 'sliding' mechanism within the handbrake/caliper and causing it to either seize in the on or off position. Which will in turn mean that in handbrake mode either the calipers won't work at all, or will be locked on. This does seem to point very clearly in the direction of a design fault. I'm no engineer but this is pretty basic stuff.

As well as in Japan I noticed recently that there also seems to be a recall in the USA (carcomplaits.com Mitsubishi recall SR-18-002: 'Parking brake actuators may corrode' - Jan 26, 2018. 170,354 vehicles affected) Mitsubishi UK seem to be in denial about this situation, let's hope somebody doesn't die before they get their corporate finger out. I wonder if Mitsubishi UK or even Japan, ever look at this forum - they probably wouldn't admit if if they did!

A4est said:
What happens at next years MOT when they have failed again and I am stuck with a big bill!!

They would have to be replaced by Mitsu free of charge again - unless they want argue in court that brake callipers are a consumable item with a design life of less than 12 months!

I still wonder if the general problem is lack of use. Being old-fashioned, I still apply the handbrake every time I stop at lights etc. - so mine are on and off several times in even short journeys. It is now 3 years since I had a problem with the handbrake (and that felt like a stretched cable - excessive travel on the lever)

Like Greendwarf I use my handbrake a lot, and first symptoms of a problem were similar to those of a stretched cable. I have had both sides replaced now. Clearly there was a design fault hence the modification. Presumably production volume can't cope with demand because of recalls in other countries. I would be pretty angry if my replacement non-modified calipers fail again and the dealer sought to charge me. It seems Toyota implement worldwide recalls but Mitsubishi restrict theirs to individual countries?

According to the US recall info, the revised part has either a 'G' stamped near the nut the handbrake actuator rotates around, or blob of blue paint on the hook the handbrake cable goes into (see attached pic).

I had both mine done at Mitsu Maindenhead a few weeks ago, and they were the G-spec parts. (Out of warranty, as "goodwill" nudge-nudge, wink-wink.)

Since then, in case you're unaware, MMC UK officially extended the warranty on the callipers up to five years or 93,000 miles (it's presumably 150,000 km, although some dealers are saying 92,000 or even 100,000 miles).

Attachments

• marks.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 28
Well it's at least reassuring to have actual confirmation that there is a revised part. Thanks for that richi - very useful pictures. I'm already into year 4 but I've only done 16,000 miles so It's looking very likely that my 'warranty' will expire through time rather than miles. Perhaps I should gloop my actuators with salt 'n' mud paste or something to ensure they they fail before the five years is up.

My pleasure. In my case, I knew one of the callipers was on its way out, because the handbrake started going floppy. I freed it off with mole grips and plenty of PTFE spray lube, but it wasn't a permanent fix.

Then it failed its MOT on both callipers. Which is when I gave up trying to fix it myself and whined at Mitsu.

My point is that you might not even know you have a problem yet. The issue isn't just the handbrake mechanism -- it's also the self-adjuster, so you might have binding brakes. The only way to be sure is to jack up each rear corner and see if the wheel spins freely.

Also, look underneath from behind and see if both calliper handbrake assemblies properly return to their end-stops when you release the handbrake (be careful!) If there's more than 2mm gap to the stop, Mitsu should assess this as a warranty repair, assuming they use the same criteria as the US recall: "Inspect the clearance between the Caliper Lever and Stopper. If the ... clearance between the lever and stopper is more than 2 mm when the parking lever inside the cabin is released ... or if the lever is stiff to return when manually operated, replace caliper body assembly."

It’s worth persisting: I was quoted £750 by my trusted, inexpensive local garage to replace both brake callipers, due to the cost of the parts from Mitsu.

If you're anywhere near them, I can recommend Maidenhead Mitsubishi in Littlewick Green. They seem to know what they're doing. They're not my nearest dealer, but they came recommended by my independent garage.

Back