Accelerator Issue

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PotherBulgur

Hello. Facing strange issue with phev 2013. Was just driving normally then the gas pedal stopped responding. And when I press it down to the floor, it picks slowly then accelerates quickly then stops again. I have no error code on screen at all. Could someone assist to understand what am dealing with please?

Hello. Facing strange issue with phev 2013. Was just driving normally then the gas pedal stopped responding. And when I press it down to the floor, it picks slowly then accelerates quickly then stops again. I have no error code on screen at all. Could someone assist to understand what am dealing with please?
Hi.
Its disappointing when you don't get replies. This forum is not highly populated. So I'll help if I can.
Like all modern fuel injected cars these days, the accelerator is electronic and not a mechanical connection. So the pedal has at least 2 x potentiometers to generate varying voltages which the ECU interprets and in turn send the appropriate voltage to the throttle body to open/close the flap.
So the first and most obvious area is these two items and the plugs and wiring between them. The accelerator is a hinged device which is constantly varied with your foot, so its usually the first culprit.
But what is strange is that you don't have an engine light. (are you syure its working - ie: does it light up when the ignition is first turned on and the dashboard goes through its self check?).
Regardless of no engine light, get the OBD read and see if there are any errors.
It does sound like its gone into limp mode, although I've never struck a limp mode behaving quite like your describing. But of course we have PHEV's and I've only owned mine a year and not had the need to dig around looking and solving faults.
You could check the plug is firmly on the throttle body and not damp. Take it out and inspect the pins for corrosion or wet and plug it in out a few times and then make sure its fully seated.
I would say the same for the accelerator pedal but they are usually so much harder to get to the plug. But get down in the well with a torch and look around for cracks or any looseness of the pedal mechanism.
If your having any other strange little things that are engine related such as low battery, low charging, instruments that aren't steady - anything a little but not majorly odd, hunt around and check the earth cables between chassis and engine. Again, I don't know how many there are but there's often only one thick one (too many have earth loop problems) so check it visually for corrosion or looseness and take appropriate action.
Hope something assists.

Hi.
Its disappointing when you don't get replies. This forum is not highly populated. So I'll help if I can.
Like all modern fuel injected cars these days, the accelerator is electronic and not a mechanical connection. So the pedal has at least 2 x potentiometers to generate varying voltages which the ECU interprets and in turn send the appropriate voltage to the throttle body to open/close the flap.
So the first and most obvious area is these two items and the plugs and wiring between them. The accelerator is a hinged device which is constantly varied with your foot, so its usually the first culprit.
But what is strange is that you don't have an engine light. (are you syure its working - ie: does it light up when the ignition is first turned on and the dashboard goes through its self check?).
Regardless of no engine light, get the OBD read and see if there are any errors.
It does sound like its gone into limp mode, although I've never struck a limp mode behaving quite like your describing. But of course we have PHEV's and I've only owned mine a year and not had the need to dig around looking and solving faults.
You could check the plug is firmly on the throttle body and not damp. Take it out and inspect the pins for corrosion or wet and plug it in out a few times and then make sure its fully seated.
I would say the same for the accelerator pedal but they are usually so much harder to get to the plug. But get down in the well with a torch and look around for cracks or any looseness of the pedal mechanism.
If your having any other strange little things that are engine related such as low battery, low charging, instruments that aren't steady - anything a little but not majorly odd, hunt around and check the earth cables between chassis and engine. Again, I don't know how many there are but there's often only one thick one (too many have earth loop problems) so check it visually for corrosion or looseness and take appropriate action.
Hope something assists.
I have a 2018, mine did that, I ran injector cleaner and that fixed it.

Hopefully there'll be some error codes that you can read using an OBDii scanner. The easiest way is with a bluetooth dongle connected to the ODBii plug and a free app on your phone. There could be quite a few reasons the car's going to limp mode, (if it is limp mode) .
Is sounds quite surprising not to have at least a 'check engine' light.
Is this happening all the time or intermittent ?
Will the car drive on Battery ?
Will it start the engine ?
Is the fault happening when engine is running or not ?
Hopefully with a clearer picture of what's happening somebody here may have an idea.

Have after-market floor mats, jammed under the accelerator pedal, have already been ruled out?

Apparently sufficient cause of problems for Mitsubishi to add the hooks in the floor.

Back