Anyone else who WOULD have a Mitsubishi Phev again?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the way it drives, and i think the whole drivetrain is great.
but could i please have a version with the dashboard and cabin electronics done by someone with a clue like citroen, where the dashboard actually feels like something from this century not last, and everything is integrated and works nicely.

they have 2 years until my lease is up and i get to pick again, get busy ;)

Took some people out in mine at the weekend, usual experience. They were expecting a glorified golf buggy but instead I got 'Wow!' instead and that was just keeping quiet and smooth it 'in the Green zone' got onto the fast road and let the ICE out the cage too. Always loved that 0 to XXX mph in one smooth blast.

I have 3 years to go so I suspect the question is academic as the financial advantages will be gone by then. We will see, but...but... if there is no viable alternative financially to keep me in an affordable SUV.. then YES! I am in!

Bilbo59 said:
Imagine if the car had been designed in such a way it didn't need defending!!!!! :)

As far as I am concerned it is designed very well and that is why I am defending it. I am very happy with it. :D

But some people will never be happy and have to bitch about something. That is their perogative. :cool:

Nothing is perfect but my Phev has given me great service and its idiosyncrasies have been easy for me to adapt to. But apparently not for you.

Maybe you should sell so both of us are happy. ;)

discorduk said:
but could i please have a version with the dashboard and cabin electronics done by someone with a clue like citroen, where the dashboard actually feels like something from this century not last, and everything is integrated and works nicely.

The dashboard and cabin electronics work great in my Phev once I put the time in to learn how to use it and set it up how I like it.

But here is an idea. May be you should buy.

You ready?

A Citroen. ;)

BobEngineer said:
Took some people out in mine at the weekend, usual experience. They were expecting a glorified golf buggy but instead I got 'Wow!' instead and that was just keeping quiet and smooth it 'in the Green zone' got onto the fast road and let the ICE out the cage too. Always loved that 0 to XXX mph in one smooth blast.

I have 3 years to go so I suspect the question is academic as the financial advantages will be gone by then. We will see, but...but... if there is no viable alternative financially to keep me in an affordable SUV.. then YES! I am in!

Yes quite a few people have been surprised when they have travelled in or driven mine.

But badge snobbery have stopped most from buying one. :lol:

But I will still wave to them as I pass by and they are filling up at the fuel pump. :D

Trex said:
But I will still wave to them as I pass by and they are filling up at the fuel pump. :D

Far more likely they will wave to me while I am at the fuel pump with the PHEV's teeny weeny fuel tank...

It does teach you new skills though, I can do a fuel stop quicker than the Ferrari F1 team pit crew.

BobEngineer said:
Trex said:

Far more likely they will wave to me while I am at the fuel pump with the PHEV's teeny weeny fuel tank...

It does teach you new skills though, I can do a fuel stop quicker than the Ferrari F1 team pit crew.
Ok I was talking about local driving which we do on ev. No fuel involved. :D

Long distance I have worked out I can go 600kms or 370miles in your language if I push through the warnings (which I do not).

That's over 6hrs of driving over here which is more than enough for me.

Bilbo59 said:
Imagine if the car had been designed in such a way it didn't need defending!!!!! :)
I believe It is not the cars fault. I believe it is the fault of the tax benefits. No all, but many PHEVs were bought by people that would have never visited a Mitsubishi dealer if it hadn't been for the tax brakes. And now they have traded their Range Rovers, Mercs, BMWs and Audis for Outlanders and cashed in on the savings, they blame their Outlanders for not being a Range Rover, Merc, BMW or Audi.

anko said:
Bilbo59 said:
I believe It is not the cars fault. I believe it is the fault of the tax benefits. No all, but many PHEVs were bought by people that would have never visited a Mitsubishi dealer if it hadn't been for the tax brakes. And now they have traded their Range Rovers, Mercs, BMWs and Audis for Outlanders and cashed in on the savings, they blame their Outlanders for not being a Range Rover, Merc, BMW or Audi.

+1

EV cars are designed (apart from Tesla?) to be primarily short range urban vehicles. The PHEV does this perfectly. Mitsu have cleverly combined this with the ability to also function as a longer range SUV but inevitably with limitations. This will suit many of those benefiting from the tax break for whom a company car is merely a contractual perk.

Unfortunately, the tax benefit has also attracted some whose requirements are the other way round, for whom the company car is a work tool. Whilst they are still benefiting financially, the design limitations will be a source of constant frustration - they have basically got the wrong car. :oops:

greendwarf said:

+1

EV cars are designed (apart from Tesla?) to be primarily short range urban vehicles. The PHEV does this perfectly. Mitsu have cleverly combined this with the ability to also function as a longer range SUV but inevitably with limitations. This will suit many of those benefiting from the tax break for whom a company car is merely a contractual perk.

Unfortunately, the tax benefit has also attracted some whose requirements are the other way round, for whom the company car is a work tool. Whilst they are still benefiting financially, the design limitations will be a source of constant frustration - they have basically got the wrong car. :oops:

I don't think that is necessarily true - I'm definitely in the second group, but the PHEV is still a perfectly acceptable car from the performance point of view. I knew from the first time I saw it that the claimed figured would be completely untrue for me - I modelled performance in a spreadsheet based on Mitsubishi's published figures and I'm getting within a few percent of the figures that came out of my model. I would probably get slightly better out of a diesel Outlander, but not enough to compensate for the loss of tax breaks. I like the handling of the car - my concerns are about the build quality.

That is not, of course, to say that there are no disappointed PHEV owners - both private and company - but they are the ones that paid too much attention to the published performance figures. This is, of course, true of all cars - the published figures are always optimistic. The trouble with the PHEV is that the spread of performance depending on usage is so much greater than it is for other cars. 150 mpg is certainly achievable for some, but less than 40mpg is equally possible.

maby said:
greendwarf said:

+1

I don't think that is necessarily true - I'm definitely in the second group, but the PHEV is still a perfectly acceptable car from the performance point of view. I knew from the first time I saw it that the claimed figured would be completely untrue for me - I modelled performance in a spreadsheet based on Mitsubishi's published figures and I'm getting within a few percent of the figures that came out of my model. I would probably get slightly better out of a diesel Outlander, but not enough to compensate for the loss of tax breaks. I like the handling of the car - my concerns are about the build quality.

That is not, of course, to say that there are no disappointed PHEV owners - both private and company - but they are the ones that paid too much attention to the published performance figures. This is, of course, true of all cars - the published figures are always optimistic. The trouble with the PHEV is that the spread of performance depending on usage is so much greater than it is for other cars. 150 mpg is certainly achievable for some, but less than 40mpg is equally possible.

+1

In that boat too, and also I am definitely coming out a winner with the PHEV. If I just needed any car, I could probably find a reasonable choice cost/tax wise, but I only want an SUV style so the other choices are limited and without exception far more expensive.

Trex said:
discorduk said:

The dashboard and cabin electronics work great in my Phev once I put the time in to learn how to use it and set it up how I like it.
The single small display of whats going on has a single button interface, one thats hidden behind the steering wheel where you cant see it from a driving position.
The rest of the dashboard is physical analogue dials.
The reversing sensors just beep, theres no display of distance, of which sensor is triggered, it doesnt mute the stereo, zero integration.

Its disgraceful how bad the electronics are, and let the otherwise great vehicle down badly. This is all 1980's level technology, no i take that back, the Austin Maestro my mum had in the 80s had a more advanced trip computer than my outlander.

Trex said:
You ready?
A Citroen. ;)
I have in the past, and If by then they make a range-extended EV l probably would again. As i said i love the way it drives, and would hate to go back to something with even an auto-gearbox, but the retro tech is really grating and hard to forgive

discorduk said:
Trex said:
discorduk said:

The single small display of whats going on has a single button interface, one thats hidden behind the steering wheel where you cant see it from a driving position.
The reversing sensors just beep, theres no display of distance, of which sensor is triggered, it doesnt mute the stereo, zero integration.

Its disgraceful how bad the electronics are, and let the otherwise great vehicle down badly. This is all 1980's level technology, no i take that back, the Austin Maestro my mum had in the 80s had a more advanced trip computer than my outlander.

Trex said:
You ready?
A Citroen. ;)
I have in the past, and If by then they make a range-extended EV l probably would again. As i said i love the way it drives, and would hate to go back to something with even an auto-gearbox, but the retro tech is really grating and hard to forgive

Most of this is a criticism of the entry-level model - the GX4h addresses it

I agree with BobEngineer and Maby. We decided we needed something that could cope with the snow better than our Octavia vRS, so were looking at SUVs. Previously, I'd never bothered leasing my cars through my company as the tax charges were too great, but the deal for EVs really made it a 'no brainer' (which are for people with no brains, as my old boss used to say). After only a month it's a bit early to say I'd definitely have another, but it's certainly looking good. In reality, I'll probably look at buying it from the leasing company in three years time, as I tend to keep my own cars much longer than that (before the Skoda we had the same Honda for 12 years).

greendwarf said:
anko said:
Bilbo59 said:

+1

I had not really thought of that, but now you come to mention it, it makes sense! My PHEV replaced a 9 year old SAAB, my 5th SAAB over the years, also had BMWs, Freelander V6 and VW Golfs in the more distant past, some of them company cars. The design of SAAB was superb, the dash was designed around the driver, everything in full view and touching distance - a legacy of aero design and I would have had another in a heartbeat, but sadly SAAB are no more.

Getting the PHEV was a very different motivation and involved different choice criteria, but I think many of those choosing from a company car list assume a certain level of design, build quality and status symbol, irrespective of the final cost to their salary/tax bottom line and so may not think about the required compromises involved. My PHEV is no-where near the sublime design of my SAABs; it sounds tinny and cheap when you slam the door in comparison, the finish does not come close to that of SAAB, but I was getting 225 miles from a 60litre tank and the vehicle tax was in the top bracket, parts for repair were becoming ever more scarce and every MOT involved some work, none which would have been an issue had I still been driving company cars (this sort of is as its my own company now). Different priorities now!

anko said:
Bilbo59 said:

What he said. :cool:

But I would not have said it so sweetly as this is war. :lol:

greendwarf said:
+1

Wow they get tax breaks, subsidies, save money and still complain. :twisted:

Sheez. :lol:

discorduk said:
Trex said:
discorduk said:

Trex said:
You ready?
A Citroen. ;)

Huh? Reversing sensors.? Single small display.?

Are we talking about the same car? :?

Back