How many KWH are you putting in?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunder

Had an interesting experience over the weekend. My battery reported entirely empty (and motor kicked in series mode) about 500m before I reached a charging point, and I had the opportunity to fill up completely full.

The charger reported that only 8.8kwh went in though.

Now, I understand that the BMS doesn't allow the battery to fully discharge (and presumably, not fully charge either), but that's about 27% from the claimed capacity, assume no losses.

Has anyone else measured what they've been able to put into their battery?

I'm not disappointed, as I am getting low ~40km out of a full charge, which is what I expected considering the marketing measurement methodologies, but I am a little surprised at how little it took to charge the battery to full. If anything it's a good thing, as it's cheaper to recharge!

Same here, had mine for 2 weeks and charged most days, max was 9kwh, I think.
Is pretty flat now, so will see what goes in tonight.
Incidentally, found this in a presentation by one of the people from the battery manufacturer:

AdvantagesofusingLi-IonBatteriesare:
Improvecyclelife(4000cyclesat100%DOD)
Highenergydensity,reducingspaceandweight
Highratedischargeforfastcharging
Maintenancefree,easymodulereplacement.

If this is fact, it would equate to about 10 years of use and that is at 100%DOD, seem hard to believe.

Was that meant to paste as a hyperlink or a graphic? The 4 points don't mean a lot to me.

4000 100% DoD cycles would kill most Lithium chemistries except Lithium Iron Phosphate and Lithium Titanate. But the per cell voltages are too high for either of those chemistries.

4000 cycles in a thermally managed, charge and discharge limited 70% DoD cycle (by never going above 4.0v/cell and never going below 3.5v/cell), I would stretch my belief.

Mine put in a measured 10.5kWh from 27%SOC start.

PHEV operates the battery between about 3.6V/cell and 4.0V/cell.

My house battery LYP chemistry operates between 3.2V/cell and 3.6V/cell.

I built a multimeter into my ICCB and that usually shows around 9.4kWh for a full recharge.

At home I have the outi pluged into a smart plug and there the APP shows around 9.2kWh

Close enough for me.

9, 9.4kwh seems about within range of mine. Especially since my motor was running for the last 500m of the trip. Maybe I got half a kilowatt hour in those 2 minutes. 10.5kwh seems a bit out of range, but maybe it's the measurement methodology, pre or post charger...

Either way, it's sated my curiosity. Also good to know what range our batteries work in. My guess wasn't too far off. 4000 cycles might be possible under those conditions in cooler environments. Would still be a challenge in Australia, where we get temps over 40*C regularly.

Sunder said:
Was that meant to paste as a hyperlink or a graphic? The 4 points don't mean a lot to me.

It was just a copy and paste from a presentation page.......

Charged last night from --.- EV range and it took 9.2 kWh, indicated EV range after the charge was 50km.

Hi all,

I very much suspect that the battery in our PHEV's is in fact made up of LEV50N (50Ah) cells and de-rated to 40Ah for long life:

http://donar.messe.de/exhibitor/han...yuasa-li-ion-battery-datasheet-eng-295494.pdf

After searching I can't find any info on a 40Ah version of the cell, I'm happy to be corrected, but hope I'm right, as it points to a very long life for the battery :)

Ah well, thanks for finding that confirmation, looks like they might be the old school pre "N" series also! Well that would explain why they're keeping well away from the top and bottom!

You're probably right, just thought as there was no "N" designation at the end, they might be the previous chemistry, but I've no idea really!

Back