Let's go pure EV...

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can it be installed without removing any major parts of the dashboard?
And how does it behave when soc comes down to 30%?
Will it start the ICE or can it be programed to go down to 25% (for example)?
If I can install it, I'd like to give it a try...!

Kim said:

1. Installation is easy (unplug one plug over accelerator pedal, plug box wiring to both sides). Nothing special to be dismantled.
2. If SOC comes down to 30%, PHEV would behave as usual. Start ICE.

vtechtuning said:
Kim said:

1. Installation is easy (unplug one plug over accelerator pedal, plug box wiring to both sides). Nothing special to be dismantled.

Hi!

Great work! I'm interested, but I have not yet received my car.. :)
Could you perhaps make an installation video as well?

You have the 2015 modell right? The 2016 is suppose to have faster response from electrical engines, not sure how they did this.
Maybe mitsubishi tweaked the parameters you're working with? I guessing here.. :)

Again, great work! :
Thanks!

I have already read both PHEV ecu's - 2015 and 2016. There are minor changes in the new one with current progression, oriented to have higher torque at launch/kickdown - but no more top end power. Older versions can be reflashed to be new one (with not exactly 2016 soft because it needs ICE ecu to be compatible, but with 2016 maps).

Ok, I will do tommorow a video of installation and drop here.

vtechtuning said:
I have already read both PHEV ecu's - 2015 and 2016. There are minor changes in the new one with current progression, oriented to have higher torque at launch/kickdown - but no more top end power. Older versions can be reflashed to be new one (with not exactly 2016 soft, but with 2016 maps).

Ok, I will do tommorow a video of installation and drop here.

Great! Thanks!

vtechtuning said:
Kim said:

This means that you can still use Torque Pro ODB2 apps without any problems I guess?

Your work is really encouraging! I hope you will find a solution to the boring cold weather behavior perhaps by sending ACC OFF very early in the sequence. I have noted that you now have like 2 seconds to turn off ACC once you press the start button. I believe this is a change from previous firmware version where ICE would start off immediately if ACC was set to ON.

What is your thinking about including
1) longer EV range (as you have tried out already)
2) Higher launch torque on 2015 models (mapping the 2016 behavior)

Finally a real use for the ECO button. I put up with the ice starting with just that bit more acc pedal in NORMAL mode. It is annoying to burn 50-80ml of petrol for no real reason. This would be perfect for the local driving I do to help reduce unnecessary petrol consumption. The plug connections without any ECU mods suits me. Would you consider shipping to Australia?

Most interested as well. Finally a sensible function for the ECO button; the car should have been designed like that in the first place. When are you shipping?

Have you considered that, when you allow for as much power as the battery can deliver, a little power consumption by the A/C or electric heater may push you over the edge? Maybe best not to go all the way?

gwatpe said:
Finally a real use for the ECO button. I put up with the ice starting with just that bit more acc pedal in NORMAL mode. It is annoying to burn 50-80ml of petrol for no real reason. This would be perfect for the local driving I do to help reduce unnecessary petrol consumption. The plug connections without any ECU mods suits me. Would you consider shipping to Australia?

Of course. V-Tech Tuning Australia will be final distributor, so delivery will be quick. http://vtechtuning.com.au/
They still don't know about that :) but I inform them today.

anko said:
Have you considered that, when you allow for as much power as the battery can deliver, a little power consumption by the A/C or electric heater may push you over the edge? Maybe best not to go all the way?

Hmmm, I haven't checked that, Anko. Clever remark.
As it's freezing cold here (I was driving at night yesterday and all was perfect with electric heating) so I must check AC only. Today it will be 10-12 C here, so I check if AC causes problem with limit or not. I pray it to behave same way as heating (so additional power surge is "extra" to treshold limit and it is not added to total driver's demand).

BTW another boring film with me driving in the night outside of town uploading so you can see behaviour of the car while driving faster. Acceleration till ICE starts - from 3:10.

Box is installed, PHEV ECU is a factory 2015 ECU now. Notice no more yellow warning lights :) - because I have installed my summer tires, with TPMS sensors, yeah! Car looks much better with 18 inch rims, the only problem is, that girls do not notice I'm driving, because PHEV is silent. I think about re-programming sound of audio warning system to be a sound of money counting machine. This should help :lol: :lol:

https://youtu.be/LhKXN_yxm0k

vtechtuning said:
[... Car looks much better with 18 inch rims, the only problem is, that girls do not notice I'm driving, because PHEV is silent. I think about re-programming sound of audio warning system to be a sound of money counting machine. This should help :lol: :lol:

How about a 12 cylinder Ferrari sound?
Count me in.

PolishPilot questioned in PM if it is secure of using such box („what if it behaves like american Toyota and set full throttle”). Suggested solution is to use brake. :) :) It is proven, that calling the police or fire brigades and crying, that car accelerates without driver's will is not a good idea. Also publishing that at Facebook or tweeting about while accelerating. Use brake instead. Applies to all cars :) , not PHEV only.

We use automotive elements and IP67 chasis, so even splashing box with water cannot cause any strange behaviour. Also any misrecognition of signals by PHEV ecu causes power demand reduction to zero. Producing automotive products from 1998 we have never have such issues like "self accelerating". Some older IP44 boxes used in diesel tuning were flooded and stopped working, but that caused engine power reduction.

Second his concern was: what about insurance if there is an accident? To be honest I have never heard of Mitsubishi experts running to any collision or cullet :roll: . Box looks like any other controller in the car. Also it can be removed in one minute. In many cars additional controllers for audio, security or whatever are installed.

As it is not possible to have pure EV PHEV just by praise, cry, magic etc, it must be something installed. PHEV ECU reflash, CAN bus controller, or such box. You cannot have your cake and eat it too, so I think the only solution in that case when you are afraid of any modification (even box) is to stay with factory PHEV. But this even does not give you warranty that all will be running well (see Toyota) or according to the law (see Volkswagen) or without any issues (see Alfa Romeo). :shock:

If I understand it correctly you are modifying/filtering the data stream from the accelerator to the ECU.
If so, I doubt whether Mitsubishi would have a legal case for refusing guaranty, as there is no structural change to the car, nor to the digital part. Besides, they accept Cobra immobilizers and alarms in their circuits. Nor do I think that they would find the publicity generated by such a case acceptable

Vtechtuning: Very good result. As the focus is to be greener, you might include 5 km of more battery range (only ECO mode)...so that there is also an economic motivator.
It could also be a nice balance point for a tuning company, like "Vtech makes a car greener.."

george said:
Vtechtuning: Very good result. As the focus is to be greener, you might include 5 km of more battery range (only ECO mode)...so that there is also an economic motivator.
It could also be a nice balance point for a tuning company, like "Vtech makes a car greener.."

Ok, I think about solving other PHEV issues, also extending range. If so, box will receive updates (it has additional CAN port so it can be used also to control CAN tricks). Updates will be delivered via net, USB connection.

BVovk said:
I'm definitely interested in the box solution. Shipping EU wide I assume?

Worldwide.
Even if Mark Watney orders for Mars Rover (it's range looks similar to PHEV EV range ;) I will send one to Mars. Or at least try to throw one up enough.

Back