Let's go pure EV...

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back to topic:

the EV solution you suggest is exactly what is needed.

One question:

the ICE starting due to heating is not influenced by your "patch"?
Still need to do AC/off button when starting and then gradually
increasing the desired cabin temperature?

PolishPilot said:
Back to topic:

the EV solution you suggest is exactly what is needed.

One question:

the ICE starting due to hating is not influenced by your "patch"?
Still need to do AC/off button when starting and then gradually
increasing the desired cabin temperature?

Ok, this box has no influence on heating ICE jump on. Reflashing of PHEV ECU probably can do the job, but I haven't found that in code yet.
But I work to add small solution to be controlled by this box, that will add control to AC-forced engine start. Box has an option to connect it to CAN (it has CAN port added) so maybe I will solve that in future update. But it is to early to say if I can do this that way or not. Box is expandable and for sure I will use its CAN to add functionalities this, non intrusive way (of course actual version of box will need update via USB, users will receive updates via web page).

BTW I have noticed slightly better range with this box. This must be proven with more tests, but it seems that making throttle control smoother and "deeper" gives some (possible) savings on current/power consumed. But this may be also false observation, so I will drive today more and check it again, as difference seem to be only few km more.

Development and preliminary tests are ended, I sent that to production (100 pcs at the beginning). Looks like this:

Outlander_phev_box.jpg

20160317_150058.jpg

Video instruction how to install it (it is very simple). It is not difficult to install it, but hard to make a film (friend keeps camera) - not enough place for two persons under steering wheel. :)

https://youtu.be/SPa_k0Oqimg

Now I return back to reversing PHEV ECU & in parallel I try to solve AC heating start issue with some add-on to that box.
Samples of this box will be sent tommorow with courier service to final testers.

anko said:
vtechtuning said:
Samples of this box will be sent tommorow with courier service to final testers.
:p :p

Anko - your box will be sent tommorow. Notice sexy blue sealing rubber :cool: Meanwhile agree on a greater supply of electricity from your supplier. I'm afraid that you'll be more green. :mrgreen:

BTW, to all: 2 full charges used (I haven't forgotten to tell ya, I have built my private Chademo compatible charger, real ugly lookin' bunch of cables and PCBs, but 22 kW as this is max at my company 3-phase wall socket - so I charge quite quick - tommorow I will send ya photos, really "prototype" charger, but cheap and works well) - and it seems to be more real, that the range is somehow better. It is not like enabling that "hidden" capacity with flashing of PHEV ECU (this gives 10 km more), but it is about 3-4 km more per charge (I tried to drive exactly same way, same road, same speed twice this evening, I have that road tested few times. It is better, but not more than 10%, rather 8 or so).
Reason of increased range must be reprogrammed throttle, that causes no rapid changes in current, as it is fully scaled, not to factory 40% max with pure EV (this time it was real 52 km with standard 2015 software in PHEV ECU; it seems to be real 48 km same way repeatable without box, really soft drive, no need to have box all in all in this try, as speeds and accelerations are laaaazy). By the way I still do not understand, why PHEV shows more range (every time after charge) than it is possible.

Somebody asked me to develop something to increase range. Hey, it is ready! Accidentally developed, but ready :D

You refer to 2015 year cars - will your box work OK with 2014 cars. Not sure if there were any changes from 2014 to 2015 that would affect operation? I like this idea very much, especially as there is no "permanent" change to the original hardware or software. The modification can be removed, and all will be back to factory default.

Regulo said:
You refer to 2015 year cars - will your box work OK with 2014 cars. Not sure if there were any changes from 2014 to 2015 that would affect operation? I like this idea very much, especially as there is no "permanent" change to the original hardware or software. The modification can be removed, and all will be back to factory default.

No, all PHEVs are identical if we consider using this box. Up to 2015.10 all have same PHEV ECU soft (at least all I have read) and from 2015.11 they have some small alterations, oriented to improve launch (but not especially big nor powerful, as advertised). My box will work equally to ANY Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. It does not matter what year or market is it.

Yes this sounds great - extra miles for free. I wasn't sure that the "loss" of a foot operated kick-down would be worth stopping the ICE starting accidently but money in the pocket :p

Hi vetchtuning,

Think this is a great box and would install it on my16 outlander.

How do I buy it and will you post to the UK.

Jimc said:
Hi vetchtuning,
Think this is a great box and would install it on my16 outlander.
How do I buy it and will you post to the UK.

Plz wait a while, as I'm sending first batch of boxes to final testers (Anko for instance).
In a week I hope it will be available at vtechtuning.eu but I don't want to deliver today something that is developed 5 days ago... Let it work for a while.

Could a chip with a negative increase in power have a negative price?? :lol: :lol:

http://www.racechip.com/chiptuning/mitsubishi/outlander/outlander-3/2.2-di-d-clear-tec-110kw/index.php

Regarding the ability of the box to allow EV power usage to a rather lower SOC than we can currently obtain, will there still be enough left in the drive battery to charge the auxiliary battery should the car not be left plugged in to a charger?

Forgive my rather non technical approach but I just wondered if there would be a significantly higher risk of bricking the car?

JimB

Claymore said:
Regarding the ability of the box to allow EV power usage to a rather lower SOC than we can currently obtain, will there still be enough left in the drive battery to charge the auxiliary battery should the car not be left plugged in to a charger?

Forgive my rather non technical approach but I just wondered if there would be a significantly higher risk of bricking the car?

JimB

No, PHEV Box is not my PHEV ECU flashing mod.
PHEV Box has no influence on lowest SOC permitted. It stays same, factory 30% or so. Slightly higher range (about 8% by my observations) is gained only because of "softer" applying current to motors, without rapid changes (except kick-down). Gain is not big - it is really 4-5 km+ and no more.
I shown some videos where re-flashing of PHEV ECU was done, this maybe caused your misunderstanding of PHEV Box behaviour. Of course, I shown 65+ range available and 60 - 62 km real range, but PHEV ECU was forced to permit me to go down to 13% SOC, just by software tweak. PHEV Box is external ECU, it does not cause problems with warranty (even if theoretical), but of course has lower capabilities, than re-flashing PHEV ECU.
Main differences are: by reflashing I can set any SOI to be moment of ICE launch. This extends range. PHEV Box extendes range much less, but uses same standard capacity of battery, like standard car does.
Second difference - I can set any current as a limit of power drained from battery. In my video with 0-100 acceleration and max EV speed PHEV ECU was tweaked to accept 70 kW power instead of 60 kW factory (from battery alone). So EV acceleration with reflashed PHEV ECU was slightly better, than when you connect my PHEV box.
I hope all is clear now.

BTW: I write android flasher, for PHEV ECU control, but this will take some time.
Personally I use PHEV Box now and I really feel my PHEV is now this, what I wanted it to be. Nobody will be unhappy. I discovered my car again!

According to http://vtechtuning.eu/phev-box.html it will be EURO 315,-.

(Dutch) forum members that are interested in buying a box at a discounted price and would be able to show up with their car in the province of Utrecht in the Netherlands, next weekend, please drop me a PM ;)

Back