new project PHEV

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultralights

Well, i have been lucky enough to get hold of a wrecked Outlander PHEV, thats essentially intact apart from rear accident damage, and minor front accident damage, sadly its been deemed a statutory right off, meaning it cant be repaired and ever used on public roads again. it arrives home this coming friday,(21/10/16) and from then on, the hacking and experimenting will begin.

first mod if mine it to remove the leather interior and heated front seats, and install them into my version, that does not have heated seats. and see if they are simply a plug and play affair, should be, considering all the wiring, and even the fuses are already installed in my model, all we need is the switches and seats. fingers cross and lets see if its as simple as we hope.

second mod is to install the Wifi and antenna and computer into my car which doesn't have this either, and see if the charge scheduling will work on my car.

possible third mod will be installing the electric tail gate opener into my version.

Later mods will be more hardcore, things like battery upgrades, and playing around with the software inside all the computers, upgrading electric motors, and general hacking. if none works, i still have myself a cheap Powerwall.
ill keep thing updated with pics as i go along.

The donor/ testbed car.

nwSKc2R.jpg

qUcZ9aS.jpg

jVyiDlK.jpg

Statutory right off, meaning in OZ, it can never be registered for road use ever again. after we finish playing with it, hacking everything testing upgrades and mods to battery packs, motors, charging units etc, it might end up in a custom Ev.

ultralights said:
Statutory right off, meaning in OZ, it can never be registered for road use ever again. after we finish playing with it, hacking everything testing upgrades and mods to battery packs, motors, charging units etc, it might end up in a custom Ev.

Ah, sorry, thought you were in UK where a write-off can be repaired or, if not, then the body shell must be crushed, even if the rest of the car is used for spares.

Ah man, what a treasure trove of spare parts!!!

I could imagine spending years pulling it apart, and carefully storing every functioning spare.

I'm sooooooo jealous.

Andy

Finally got it home, $4500 for the entire car. all thats missing is the front bumper, grills, headlights, and front RH strut. making getting it into the garage a challenge. though a good old Block and tackle got it done, and 2 trolly jacks.
pPB4Gqrb.jpg

Thery nice thread

With lot of photis

Please keep us updated

It will be nice to visually see how you are going to disassemble the PHEV

Ps: here I see similar crashed car, but they ask almost 20k eur for them.. 4.5k usd sounds a very good deal

ultralights said:
Well, i have been lucky enough to get hold of a wrecked Outlander PHEV, thats essentially intact apart from rear accident damage, and minor front accident damage, sadly its been deemed a statutory right off, meaning it cant be repaired and ever used on public roads again. it arrives home this coming friday,(21/10/16) and from then on, the hacking and experimenting will begin.

first mod if mine it to remove the leather interior and heated front seats, and install them into my version, that does not have heated seats. and see if they are simply a plug and play affair, should be, considering all the wiring, and even the fuses are already installed in my model, all we need is the switches and seats. fingers cross and lets see if its as simple as we hope.

second mod is to install the Wifi and antenna and computer into my car which doesn't have this either, and see if the charge scheduling will work on my car.

possible third mod will be installing the electric tail gate opener into my version.

Later mods will be more hardcore, things like battery upgrades, and playing around with the software inside all the computers, upgrading electric motors, and general hacking. if none works, i still have myself a cheap Powerwall.
ill keep thing updated with pics as i go along.

The donor/ testbed car.

nwSKc2R.jpg

qUcZ9aS.jpg

jVyiDlK.jpg

Would you mind sending me a photo of the fuse box of your wrecked car?
DM would be okay.

ultralights said:
Finally got it home, $4500 for the entire car. all thats missing is the front bumper, grills, headlights, and front RH strut.

Well done, that's a bargain and a half! The battery alone is worth more than that, let alone the e-motors, ECU's etc.
I'm sure you've thought of it, but ensure you keep the drive battery [edit]at optimum storage levels[/edit]!
Did you get keys with it, and does it power on?

Actually Lithium battery should be stored between 30 an 50% percent, or in other words at around 3.8v per cell

Keeping Lithium battery fully charged for long time, will cause oxidation and consequently reduced high power capabilities due to higher internal resistance

i dont think the wrecker knew what he was selling, i asked him how the battery was, and all he said, its in the back, and when i got on my hands and knees to have a look under it, he insisted the battery was in the back. and he said he sells lots of batteries from Priuses, i dont think he realised just how big the PHEV battery is, he might have assumed it was a hybrid like the prius/camry. and not an EV. and its only done 15,000 km.

yep, fortunately it comes with keys and it powers up, battery is about 75% charged according to the dash indication, full tank of fuel as well, the car is complete, except for the front right hand strut. and a bit of panel damage.
unfortunately it wont move under its own power, once you put in in drive, or reverse, the warnings emerge, first ,in red, is the CLOSE BONNET warning, this i suspect will not allow the car to be moved, all other warnings are in Yellow, and are things like Battery service due, FCM error (it has no front bumper, or grill or anything so the radar is missing) and drive system service due. i am looking for a replacement front strut assy to at least get it onto 4 wheels, not just 3 and a car dolly.

also, kind of annoyed i didnt get the EVSE chargers with it.. oh well.

then have to stop the close bonnet alarm, then see what happens. i am hoping the Service due warnings will still allow it to move under its own power.

also, i am hesitant to charge it yet as the coolant lines to the battery pack were crushed by the wrecker and his forklift. so until i find out if the cooling system operates while charging or not, i wont charge the drive battery.

ultralights said:
NS633 said:
Would you mind sending me a photo of the fuse box of your wrecked car?
DM would be okay.

which fuse box, i only took a pic of the one under the bonnet so far..

i-KHZ7LqR-L.jpg

Nice try but sorry to say,I cannot see your attachment.
And yes I want a picture of the front fuse box which is under the bonnet.
Many thanks.

I suddenly had a 'brilliant?' idea.
Why not invent a self powered electric trailer with the bits.
Not only would increase the range/power of your PHEV, but it could allow any towing vehicle to go into the 'planned?' EV only zones that will come to a cities around the world.

ultralights said:
fEEMdt9

hope this image works

Thanks.It did work.
And my second question,
Is it a UK version you have? With working DRL'S?
I just need to sort out some work with my DRL'S.

NS633 said:
ultralights said:
fEEMdt9

hope this image works

Thanks.It did work.
And my second question,
Is it a UK version you have? With working DRL'S?
I just need to sort out some work with my DRL'S.

Mine is the Australian New Zealand version, sadly, no DRL's i dont know why there is a difference. apparently the UK and Japanese version are the same, and there is an AUS/NZ version... apart from DRL's i have no idea what the difference is.

elm70 said:
ultralights said:
fEEMdt9

hope this image works

Yes .. works only if took form reply with quote ;)

Here is the link:

You left out the .jpg extension in your link. Add that and link as image to display it in the post. It is a bit large. Best to limit an image to something like 750-1000 pixels on the long side.

Back