Outlander PHEV - Securing charging cable

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phevman

Hi All,

I've just ordered an Outlander PHEV (GX4h) but I'm concerned about how to secure the charging cable is when connected in public places? Given that the cost of the cable is £300, I don't just want to leave it connected up where someone could easily unplug and steal it!

Some of the public charging points I have seen just provide a standard 3-pin external socket, there is no way of " locking" the cable?

Any suggestions?

Hi
someone suggested leaving a wheel on it. Some cables have a little hole for a padlock, but not sure re the normal 3 pin one as I don't use it at the moment.
H

I purchased a charge cable from charge-amps.com. Besides good quality and no bulky box in the cable it has a 4-digit security code....that's one way to reduce the attraction for potential theft.
I guess it should also be possible to just use a simple bike chain lock and lock the cable to the right rear wheel tightly....will try if this might work.

A public charging station will lock the cable in as soon as you swipe your card and unlock it only when you check out at the end of the charge. But then the UK appears to differ from the continent in using standard household plugs for public charging points. On the Continent the charger cable is used only for charging in a private situation. All others have the proper Mennekes connector allowing the car to plug in directly, as have most PHEV owners for their own private point ( those do not lock as they do not read cards).

schlumbel said:
I purchased a charge cable from charge-amps.com. Besides good quality and no bulky box in the cable it has a 4-digit security code....that's one way to reduce the attraction for potential theft.
I guess it should also be possible to just use a simple bike chain lock and lock the cable to the right rear wheel tightly....will try if this might work.

Can you post a pic? Which what I'm thinking this is like, any half-witted thief wild easily take it...

Back