Pedal v Paddles

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maby said:
The car will always make use of regen in preference to brake pads when you touch the brake pedal - but it can only apply the B5 level of braking on regen alone. I don't think the paddles do anything that you cannot do with the pedal, but by separating the regen function from the friction function, they allow you to avoid applying friction braking without realising it.
Spot on!

I think, that is the major point for me as well when deciding to use B5 all the time.

If I had a control lamp telling me when the friction brakes hit in, I would be able to avoid it "by foot".
But I don't have it, so, in city traffic the B5 does the trick in most cases. On the highway the CC.

I am also a lazy guy (at least my wife claims so) and I avoid moving my foot to the brake pedal
without reason as much as possible. ;)

maby said:
.... The overall effect is more like driving a dodgem car - one pedal - press to go, release to stop.

What's wrong with a dodgem car?

They have been over decades the most popular (in numbers) electric cars. ;)
And simple, one pedal operation is just an advantage, at least for me.

I love my dodgeon car!

Hi, I'm based in East Sussex in the UK and although I've owned a PHEV since June this year I just joined the forum this evening. I'm interested in what owners have to say about the paddles because I'm still trying to work out how they vary in effectiveness at certain parts of my drive. I do agree with the last entry which asks for a supervisory display regarding when friction braking is being applied as opposed to regeneration.
Also, when I set off with a fully charged battery and apply anything from B3 to B5 within a few yards of my home there appears to be no braking effect whatsoever.
Added to this, I find the green B numerics so small to read even when driving with distance glasses on that it would be better if the decals were larger. Anyone else having the same problem? Cheers.

Langepistole said:
Added to this, I find the green B numerics so small to read even when driving with distance glasses on that it would be better if the decals were larger. Anyone else having the same problem? Cheers.

Hi, it sounds like its time you switched your glasses to varifocals. That will sort dashboard reading issues.

The font size is woeful on other screens as well. Range estimates on the INFO/TRIP screen. I would rather see just a number for the B0-B5. Make it big as well. Over time you get a feel and don't need to look at the numbers, but if the number was bigger, it would probably speed the learning process.

Langepistole wrote:
Also, when I set off with a fully charged battery and apply anything from B3 to B5 within a few yards of my home there appears to be no braking effect whatsoever.

Hi
I have also experienced this and thought it was me.

somersetstroller said:
Langepistole wrote:

Hi
I have also experienced this and thought it was me.

I experience the same, but this is quite normal and logical.
When the battery is full, where should the regen energy go to?
There is no more "room" left in the battery to absorb it.

As soon as some of the battery energy is used, the regen braking
gradually starts to be more and more effective.

BTW: I use varifocals all the time, the only solution for the tiny display.

Hi All! Many tks for your swift responses.
Re size of B0 to B6 and glasses; yup, I've tried varifocal lenses but sadly was intolerant so now have bi-focals which are better but one has to admit the decals are generally rather skinny and tiny in the centre display. My lady, whom I indulgently allow to drive my PHEV on occasion, haha, does not require glasses for distance work but still has some difficulty seeing if we're in B0 or B5!

Re regen on a full battery, yes, of course, if the traction bty is full then obviously there is nowhere for the charge to go. Therefore, I'll now experiment with driving off with a less than full bty and see how promptly the regen kicks in from a cold start.

Re Range, I appreciate this probably ought to go into a different topic area but I've just learnt from my dealership that the range indicator is 'accumulative' and is governed by one's last 10 miles of driving before the recharge. I can't remember ever obtaining 32 miles even from brand new in June this year but recently the range has been stuck at 27 miles until, surprise, surprise, I did some very slow stuff over a couple of days and now, after full charge it's back up to 30!

I have to say that I'm surprised by the criticisms of the display readability - my eyesight is pretty poor these days, but I've never had any trouble reading it.

Where range is concerned, the numbers on the display are never more than estimates - clear a trip counter before you set out, then display the energy flow and wait till the battery kicks in full-time - then you will know what your EV range was.

I've only had my PHEV a couple of weeks but I love using the paddles to slow down. It means you have to plan and look further ahead, but we should all be doing that anyway.

Back