relative costs of driving a PHEV

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have had the car for three months and done 2500miles. I was working out today the running costs in that time compared to the cost of my previous car, a '06 SAAB 93 Turbo.

To date charge costs have been around c£90 (10p per kWh with Sainsbury's energy)
I have used around 120L of fuel at c£125
Making total running cost to date £215.

My previous car was managing around 225 miles per 60l tanks of fuel, so 2500 miles would have required 11.11111 etc, etc tanks of fuel.
So 666litre at an average of £1.03 over the period covered
I would have paid in the region of £686

A whopping £471 saving in one quarter!

This is not withstanding the saving in vehicle duty.

For me the relative cost of the PHEV is a no brainer!

Carnut said:
I pay12.59pence per Kwh. with NPower.
It is a 2.4 Kw draw to charge PHEV for 5 hours. (I have discounted the standing charge because I have to pay that anyway.)
SO........... 12.59X2.4X5(hours) =£1.5108.
If we say that we realistically get 22 Miles per charge 1.5108 divided by 22 =6.9 ppl
Petrol..... 99.9 ppl X 4.54596=£4.54 per gallon divided by 22 =20.6ppl.
So I reckon you would have to drop to about 3 miles per charge to be as expensive as petrol??? (is that right? sounds iffy to me)
NUFF SAID! (as long as I have my maths correct. ....I failed maths 'O'level 3 times, so don't count on it!
Not quite right I think:
Im also with Npower so 12.59p per Kwh is the same for me, I think the battery only takes approx 10 Kwh of charge to fill, so cost to fully charge is about £1.26. Lets agree this takes you about 22 miles, so thats 126 pence/ 22miles = 6p per mile. Petrol is about £1 per litre or £4.54 per gallon, but will take you approx 40 miles, so thats 454 pence/ 40 miles = 11.35p per mile.
So, electric is about half the price of petrol if my calcs and assumptions are correct.

Vince31 said:
Carnut said:
I pay12.59pence per Kwh. with NPower.
It is a 2.4 Kw draw to charge PHEV for 5 hours. (I have discounted the standing charge because I have to pay that anyway.)
SO........... 12.59X2.4X5(hours) =£1.5108.
If we say that we realistically get 22 Miles per charge 1.5108 divided by 22 =6.9 ppl
Petrol..... 99.9 ppl X 4.54596=£4.54 per gallon divided by 22 =20.6ppl.
So I reckon you would have to drop to about 3 miles per charge to be as expensive as petrol??? (is that right? sounds iffy to me)
NUFF SAID! (as long as I have my maths correct. ....I failed maths 'O'level 3 times, so don't count on it!
Not quite right I think:
Im also with Npower so 12.59p per Kwh is the same for me, I think the battery only takes approx 10 Kwh of charge to fill, so cost to fully charge is about £1.26. Lets agree this takes you about 22 miles, so thats 126 pence/ 22miles = 6p per mile. Petrol is about £1 per litre or £4.54 per gallon, but will take you approx 40 miles, so thats 454 pence/ 40 miles = 11.35p per mile.
So, electric is about half the price of petrol if my calcs and assumptions are correct.

Although I agree with most of this calculation, I think to expect 40 mpg on the sort of driving most EV replaces i.e. low speed urban is very optimistic - whether you are talking about the PHEV or a similar sized SUV. Even much smaller cars would struggle to deliver this sort of economy. I would have thought 20 mpg is a more realistic comparison i.e. closer to 20p per mile.

I wish you guys would use L/100Km like the rest of the world or even L/100Miles . You buy your petrol in liters don't you? :evil: :lol:

The way things are going, we won't be in Europe after 2017 so we think it is not worth the learning curve of getting our heads around all this foreign stuff, which is why the Government never changed the important stuff like MPG, MPH and Pints for beer. We could handle milk in litres as we only put a "splash" in our tea, so it doesn't matter what size the bottle is. :lol:

However, my "sig" does show both as I try to be inclusive.

Jeff

jaapv said:
I wish you guys would use L/100Km like the rest of the world or even L/100Miles . You buy your petrol in liters don't you? :evil: :lol:

No, 'litres' actually. USA spelling not accepted over here! We've got bigger gallons too... :lol:

Seasons Greeting to All.

greendwarf said:

Although I agree with most of this calculation, I think to expect 40 mpg on the sort of driving most EV replaces i.e. low speed urban is very optimistic - whether you are talking about the PHEV or a similar sized SUV. Even much smaller cars would struggle to deliver this sort of economy. I would have thought 20 mpg is a more realistic comparison i.e. closer to 20p per mile.

not true... our PHEV runs primarily on petrol and has a lifetime average of about 45mpg. I find that the hybrid drive results in very little difference in fuel consumption between different driving conditions - the engine stops when you are stationary for any significant time and when it's running, it runs pretty efficiently even at low speed stop-start driving. I know that jaapv dislikes it being described as CVT, but the effect is very similar.

Like any petrol engine car, the fuel consumption is much higher in the period immediately following a cold start, but once it warms up, close to 40mpg should be easily possible under urban conditions.

Lower speed urban driving normally returns around 5L/100km for me. over 55mpg in the old money. My 45000km lifetime average is around 7.6L/100km, including around 20000km of driving without plugged recharge, over 1 months worth, in July 2015.

Tipper said:
jaapv said:

No, 'litres' actually. USA spelling not accepted over here! We've got bigger gallons too... :lol:

Seasons Greeting to All.
:lol: Merry Christmas!

My spell-checker is Amurrican... :twisted:

jthspace said:
The way things are going, we won't be in Europe after 2017 so we think it is not worth the learning curve of getting our heads around all this foreign stuff, which is why the Government never changed the important stuff like MPG, MPH and Pints for beer. We could handle milk in litres as we only put a "splash" in our tea, so it doesn't matter what size the bottle is. :lol:

Jeff

We might not be in the EU after 2017, but I think we'll still be in Europe :mrgreen:

jaapv said:

Not anymore - with all my driving EV :mrgreen:

westdevon said:
We might not be in the EU after 2017, but I think we'll still be in Europe :mrgreen:

Touché, as we say in the U.K. - but 2017 may just be the start . . . . . :lol:

Jeff

p.s. I voted to remain in the EEC back in 1975; one of the 67% who said "stay" and part of the 65% of the voters who decided to turn out.

westdevon said:
jthspace said:

Jeff

Oh no you won't; You'll be asked to join the SADC. You'll need all the help you can get. :twisted:

Reading this thread with interest, being a Brit and living in an EU country (Spain), and with no functioning government to talk of...but anyway, I´ll not dwell on that!

I´m interested to see the quite diverse prices people are paying for their leccy. When I got my PHEV 3 months ago, I spent a while looking at the rates and I chose a tariff which had Peak & Off Peak rates: I pay €0.06 per KWH off peak, and €0.15 per KWH peak. This looks quite reasonable compared to what I´ve read, especially the Dutch rates. There are no other charges on top of this apart from the standing charges and VAT.

So most of the time I charge overnight and at approx 5hours of 2kW , I work it out as about 10KWH of energy at €0.06, which I calculate as costing me €0.60 for a full charge. Which I think is reasonable.
Cheers

Back