S or not

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkde

Hello,

I am just in the research stage of buying a new car and the outlander is at the top, I only work 4 miles from home and very rarely go more than 10 miles from the house - unless on holiday we use weekend cars.

Currently I have a 2.5l V6 old MG ZTT I have had for years, love the car and hate the 18mpg, I see the phev as a big way to cut the petrol bills during the week.

For the odd times I drive much down the motorway I like adaptive CC but I need to ask about the beeping everyone talks about, is it that much? I am trying to convince myself that the beeping will not be an issue but... maybe it will drive me insane - I have a dealer also tell me not to bother with it because of the noise. Does the benefit outweigh the noise - not a cost issue I can afford either just want some real opinions

Also does the lane warning beep when you overtake a parked car on a single carriage?

Booking for a test drive now too

rkde said:
Hello,

I am just in the research stage of buying a new car and the outlander is at the top, I only work 4 miles from home and very rarely go more than 10 miles from the house - unless on holiday we use weekend cars.

Currently I have a 2.5l V6 old MG ZTT I have had for years, love the car and hate the 18mpg, I see the phev as a big way to cut the petrol bills during the week.

For the odd times I drive much down the motorway I like adaptive CC but I need to ask about the beeping everyone talks about, is it that much? I am trying to convince myself that the beeping will not be an issue but... maybe it will drive me insane - I have a dealer also tell me not to bother with it because of the noise. Does the benefit outweigh the noise - not a cost issue I can afford either just want some real opinions

Also does the lane warning beep when you overtake a parked car on a single carriage?

Booking for a test drive now too

You can turn the LDW off completely; I do every time I start up the car. The ACC beeping is unnecessary and can't be turned off, but apparently you can engage CC rather than ACC (still haven't tried it yet!), which I assume will not beep every time the car in front disappears out of range and the PHEV accelerates to set speed. In a nutshell, I would not let the stories of excessive beeping stop your purchase!

For me, the extra options in the "S" model didn't add up.
LDW - If you're wandering out of lane, you're not in control of the vehicle, and need a break.
ACC - OK if you do a lot of Motorway driving, and would otherwise tailgate other road users.
FCM - That is something really useful, and the only one of the three I'd like.

It seems many who have the "S" spend a lot of time with LDW switched off, and ACC in normal CC mode (which you get in the other models anyway). Only you can decide if these extras are worth the money. For my use of the car, they weren't.

I test drove a 4hs and the LDW was beeping all the time on the smaller roads. It might possibly be useful on Motorways. My driving is mostly rural so I felt it wasn't worth it. The same argument applied to ACC.

So I decided to save the £5k. Why pay for something I'm going to turn off almost all the time anyway.

Same here, nice to have! bloody annoying! and not worth the extra bucks. Had LDW on my last car (came as standard for that model) and I always turned it off. You get into one of those 50MPH road works on the M1 where the lanes have been narrowed and it is constantly triggering :roll: Had FCM & ACC on a Range Rover frightened the life out of me a couple of times when it decided to apply the brakes heavily on a wet road because it thought I was not aware the other car was breaking. Poor car behind me nearly went up my chuff!!

if they had come as standard with the car it would not have put me off buying it!

Took the S out for a test drive, I am now convinced on the non S 4H so I should be ordering in the next few weeks - I already have modification plans for it :roll:

Well I drove the 4hs today and I'm decided on the "s"! Used the ACC on the M1 and it was fine - no different to my Volvo.

Put the order in today :D decided in the end for the 4 and not the S as my daily commute is short and the need for ACC is not great even though it would have been nice

Paid £28,999.00 OTR in metallic white which I am quite pleased with through my local dealer

I wouldn't be without ACC again on longer journeys and in stop-start traffic; the beep is quite useful as it tells you it has lost the car in front and will start accelerating. The LDW is a must have for me - I already half-wrecked a car by drifting off on the A3 near Frankfurt once... :oops: I do turn it off on secondary roads, though, but it has made me more precise in my driving. The FCM is so unreliable that it is next to useless. Sometimes it doesn't react, about once a fortnight it starts screaming when there is nothing special going on.

rkde said:
Put the order in today :D decided in the end for the 4 and not the S as my daily commute is short and the need for ACC is not great even though it would have been nice

Paid £28,999.00 OTR in metallic white which I am quite pleased with through my local dealer

That seems very good value for a Gx4 - only £750 more than the base Gx3 :shock:

Back