South East or South Central

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone in East London?Essex area?

Took possession of mine 6th March loved it at first now wondering should I sell my Jeep or not..
I have issues with the amount of petrol I allegedly use just to keep the car warm.

Yesterday I had 65 miles of petrol I turned on the heater and in less than 4 miles and 10 minutes of driving. That dropped to 15,

My commute is 15 to work and back so o way in Electric only mode ahould the petrol deplete by such a large margin.

Amethyst Black GX3H

pa6363 said:
Anyone in East London?Essex area?

Took possession of mine 6th March loved it at first now wondering should I sell my Jeep or not..
I have issues with the amount of petrol I allegedly use just to keep the car warm.

Yesterday I had 65 miles of petrol I turned on the heater and in less than 4 miles and 10 minutes of driving. That dropped to 15,

My commute is 15 to work and back so o way in Electric only mode ahould the petrol deplete by such a large margin.

Amethyst Black GX3H

But what did the petrol gauge show? The above are estimates based on previous driving - so if you have been mainly on EV then "petrol miles" will be higher than when you start burning petrol. I don't pay much attention to these but like any car, keep an eye on the blue vertical bars.

I presume you mean the blue status bar when you say petrol gauge.
This was on 1/2 way but dropped to 1/4 after I turned it on and then dropped promptly again after that.

I tend to only drive in EV mode as my journeys are short and I'm lucky if I get above 50mph At. the moment I'm only using the engine to keep warm and yes I make sure the air-con is switched off..
Surely it shouldn't take 1/4 of a tank to keep a car warm for a journey that is only 15 miles

pa6363 said:
I presume you mean the blue status bar when you say petrol gauge.
This was on 1/2 way but dropped to 1/4 after I turned it on and then dropped promptly again after that.

I tend to only drive in EV mode as my journeys are short and I'm lucky if I get above 50mph At. the moment I'm only using the engine to keep warm and yes I make sure the air-con is switched off..
Surely it shouldn't take 1/4 of a tank to keep a car warm for a journey that is only 15 miles

Petrol gauges have always been notoriously inaccurate especially as the tank moves towards empty. There is no reason to think the PHEV's tank sender unit is any different to any other car only the method of display on the dashboard. The ICE can only use petrol at a fixed rate dependant on usage, i.e. the higher the revs the more fuel used. So unless you are also getting excessive engine noise or running continuously or keeping heating set at maximum then your actual petrol consumption in 15 miles on EV with heating is going to be modest. But the only way of confirming this is by refuels to check the accuracy of the gauge to see what has actually been used.

the guages are just a very big gimick in my opinion and are very unreliable. the mileage range would be better showing the amout of litres or gallons in the tank. The milage range can drop as much as 60 miles even though you might have only driven a few yards.

the verticle blue columns go up and down at will, especially the battery one it can stick at full or almost full then plummet down to about a quarter or less in several fast steps.

as for the arrows, mine about 90% of the time shows blue from engine to battery and blue from battery to wheels, only shows battery to wheels when cruising on a dual carrageway or motorway.

now downhill the arrow from wheel to battery most of the time works but sometimes no matter how steep the down hill or battery level it never comes on and still shows blue from engine to battery and battery to wheel.

the mpg never got into hundreds 50-90 range is what I seem to get, not sure how mitsubishi got 148 unless it was down hill all the way down mt Fuji in Honshu, Japan

duetto said:
the mpg never got into hundreds 50-90 range is what I seem to get, not sure how mitsubishi got 148 unless it was down hill all the way down mt Fuji in Honshu, Japan

Surely the quoted 148mpg is just a weighted average from the standard EU test. Some users will get almost infinite mpg if they rarely use petrol.

yes but I cannot not get into the rarley use petrol mode, mine spends most of the time driving on a mix of petrol and battery. might take it back rarly goes into power by battery only.

If you are still having problems, then it is likely to be a driving style issue. the PHEV works best with a smooth use of the accelerator pedal. If you can, use the cruise control and check the power arrows again. A non congested motorway should provide some reassurance that the meters are functioning.

My GX3h+ is on order as my new company car. I live in Luton, the office is in Hitchin and I spend a lot of time on the motorways then in our big cities including at least one day a week in London. Really looking forward to the car.

As this is the South East and Central Groupare there any pressing issues I should know about?

Considering Idrive upwards of 30K a year I'm especially interested in the very short service intervals. Would love to hear if others have experience of Mantels in Biggleswade for this work?

I look forward to your replies.

Thanks

If you are not getting your petrol paid for then presumably you will want to max your EV driving. If so, then you will want a Source London card to use both the charging points in London (most take the 3pin that comes with the car so no need to buy extra cable) and the Ecotricity rapid chargers at the motorway service areas and IKEA (e.g. Brent Cross) plus sign up for the Congestion Charger waiver (£10 p.a. - see Congestion Charge website). If you have a smart 'phone then the Pod Point app gives you free access to their charging points - see Zap Map for locations http://www.nextgreencar.com/electric-cars/charging-points/

Also when in London, if you can park in Westminster, then street parking is free for up to 4 hours at a time - no need to do anything, as the wardens know EV cars from the reg. no.

Thanks for that info Greendwarf.
I am waiting delivery MY16 (March 2016) so found the tips for London very useful - even though travelling from the South Coast.
I must say that I really enjoy using this forum, so full of useful information even stuff that I hadn't even thought of. So thanks to all the regulars.

Green dwarf,

Thanks so much. I knew about the congestion charge and Ecotricity, but will sort all the other things out as well when I know what my reg no will be as well as all the other city parking schemes I belong to and the Dartford and M6 tolls.

Regards,

Back