Spare tire?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgruber

Does anyone know whether the Outlander PHEV has a spare tire, either full-size or doughnut? If so, where is it stored?

We have a Volt and my wife insisted that I buy a doughnut spare for it and put it into the hatch - which eats up half the available space. But she wouldn't go anywhere with just the compressor and sealant that came with the vehicle.

Thanks,

Dan

There is no spare tire on the Outlander PHEV.

There is a repair kit provided, and someone from the Netherlands who already has an Outlander PHEV says there is an air compressor provided as well.

As Marta stated there is no spare tire. Spare tires are going the way of the dodo bird. In PHEVs and EVs they need the space for battery. In all car types they are starting to remove them to reduce weight, increase gas mileage, and lower costs.

I am a big fan of the traditional full-size spare tire. My current vehicle has a full-size spare and when I rotate I actually rotate all five. If you ever have to use the spare, you can drive normally instead of limping along.

That being said, in my many years of driving I have to admit I've only needed a spare once, and that was due to going way too fast on rocks while off-roading. Tires seem to be much more reliable today than when I was a little kid.

Lack of a spare means that my wife won't drive the car and certainly won't be comfortable taking it on long trips. It's psychological: the rarity of an unsealable flat doesn't make up for the big problem caused if one should occur.

For our Volt, we used the forum to find a donut spare and jack that would fit and bought them on eBay. They take up half the storage area even around town, but it makes my wife happy.

Guess I'll have to do the same if we want to get an Outlander PHEV: find a space-saver that'll work and give up some storage space. DSigh.

You can get a hitch mount spare tire carrier for the back. This preserves internal space but you will have to swing it out of the way to open the hatch of course. Beware the cheaper ones don't swing out of the way at all; this seems useless to me unless you have a hitch receiver at the front of the vehicle.

External spare tires look fairly normal on a rugged SUV but might look a little strange on the new Outlander which is softer with more of a soccer-mom type SUV styling.

Hi
I've ordered a PHEV and I need to buy a space saver spare to carry around with me. Is any one aware of what size I need and a good source?
Kind regards
Mark

The conventionally powered outlanders are available with a spare mounted under the rear. I am not sure if it is full size or a space saver, but one of these could be purchased through mitsubishi and just carried loose in the load area.

marta said:
There is no spare tire on the Outlander PHEV.

There is a repair kit provided, and someone from the Netherlands who already has an Outlander PHEV says there is an air compressor provided as well.
That is correct. However tha Dutch equivalent of the AA advised me never to use it. Chances are the tire will be unusable afterwards. Call the AA and they will plug the tire.

I have not had to change a tyre on the road for .... god knows how long. My current car has a full size spare but if it was my wife, I'd get her to call the recovery truck for them to do the change. Would probably do the same myself.

Hi,

I asked my dealer and this is their response:

"I've contacted Head Office about a space saver wheel, because of the weight and size of a PHEV they're saying space saver wheels are a no-go. For a spare wheel option, it would have to be 18" Alloy with tyre, and the alloy alone is around £800."

Does anyone know if the normal Outlander comes with a space saver or full size? If the normal does come with a space saver then I find it hard to believe a PHEV can't have one.

Kind regards,
Mark

avensys said:
Hi,

I asked my dealer and this is their response:

"I've contacted Head Office about a space saver wheel, because of the weight and size of a PHEV they're saying space saver wheels are a no-go. For a spare wheel option, it would have to be 18" Alloy with tyre, and the alloy alone is around £800."

Does anyone know if the normal Outlander comes with a space saver or full size? If the normal does come with a space saver then I find it hard to believe a PHEV can't have one.

Kind regards,
Mark
800? That sounds a bit outrageous. I bought four original alloys with snow tyres when I got the car. It cost me less than 1500 Euro.

My Dealer in Australia sold me new rims for $50 each with wheel nuts and badges. These are 16" alloy rims from the std Outlander to fit M-S tyres on as we plan to go outback soon.
Need to buy a spare wheel holder that connects to the square tow hitch to mount the spare outside. Quite a selection from USA if postage was not so expensive.

Tyretrek.com.au make a spare tire hitch that attaches to the tow bar. Have not yet seen or priced one as I just received my Phev. They are in Queensland, but seem to be distributed throughout Australia.

Back