What's it like as a petrol car

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dannyhusband

Hi
I'm due to order a company car next week with a fuel card what is the outlander phev like as mainly a petrol car? The reason I ask is since I'll have a fuel card I can't justify charging it at home so it'll only be charged as I drive and I'll only be getting it as its the most cost effective car on bik I travel around 50000 miles a year for business and about 15000 miles private so just want to see what people's opion is on it
Thanks

At that sort of mileage you will definitely be better off with the diesel version, regardless of whether you have a fuel card or not. The PHEV is quite nippy when the battery is fully charged but running on an empty battery is not fun at all - quite 'laggy' as the ICE kicks in whenever you want some extra oomph above the 60kW available from the motors. It is really designed for relatively short commuting journeys with charging available at both ends.

It is not a bad petrol car at all, in fact it is rather nice, but that is not the concept of the car nor the intention of the BIK reduction. You’d be far better off with a nice Diesel whatever. Your company will not be pleased by the fuel consumption either.

Over here people abusing the BIK advantage this way were the main cause of the government reversing a considerable part of the tax advantage after one year, which was rather irritating to those that use the car with the environment in the back of their mind.

Battery empty or full has no real impact on the performance of the car, however. That is an Internet myth with no basis in fact.
The reason: An “empty “ battery is not empty - it has considerable reserves, so the car will carry on driving normally. The ICE will kick in each time you demand more than 60 KW, regardless of SOC (unless you have driven it down to emergency mode, a are occurrence) as that is the maximum the battery can deliver, despite the electric motors being able to demand about double,

As for charging by driving, that is useful for special conditions. It is not energy-efficient though, because of conversion losses.
The car is meant to be charged at every opportunity, and certainly overnight. Ideally when stationary at work as well.

If I was going to spend that long in a car every year I would want it to have the nicest interior and smoothest engine I could afford. The PHEV would be a long way down my list, even if it did mean saving a few quid.

At 50k miles per year and no charging, I would (sadly) say 'move along'. The Phev's tiny petrol tank (40 litre) would have you stopping for fuel far more often than say a comparable non plug-in.

Bluetooth phone operation is pitiful too, something I think you would need to be far better than it is, for lots of business miles.

I'm in a similar position to you, though I don't do quite as many miles (about 36k).

The PHEV is ok to drive on petrol most of the time, though despite what some people on here say, it is better to have some charge in case you come across steep climbs. However, if you do this using the 'save' button, you will almost certainly forget to press it when it resets itself every time you switch off.

As for the comment:

Over here people abusing the BIK advantage this way were the main cause of the government reversing a considerable part of the tax advantage after one year, which was rather irritating to those that use the car with the environment in the back of their mind.

What an absolute pile of pious drivel, if for no other reason, the government wouldn't even know how many miles were being done.
The most tedious aspect is the almost daily trips to the garage - I just remind myself of the family holiday the tax savings pay for each year.

It may be a pile of pious drivel, and may be even their own fault for hiking electricity prices on public charging points, but still that is exactly what happened. After one year the BIK advantages were reduced exactly for this reason.

nick2b said:
What an absolute pile of pious drivel, if for no other reason, the government wouldn't even know how many miles were being done.

I'm glad to see that you are sure that dealers aren't required to provide stats from services as part of the subsidy arrangements. :lol:

greendwarf said:
nick2b said:

I'm glad to see that you are sure that dealers aren't required to provide stats from services as part of the subsidy arrangements. :lol:
I totally agree with Jaap on this one.

I don't know how it is in the UK or other countries, but in the Netherlands fuel consumption figures per make / model are well known as they are published by leasing companies. So, the government does know. Not for the score for the individual driver (unfortunately) but the accurate for the total population. And this is why everybody suffers from people that do not make an effort to get the best out of it.

Thanks for the feedback I'll decide for definite what to get next week and get a test drive in 1 but just thought best to get feedback from regular drivers rather that just a test drive

If you travel that kind of miles on a plane, you are a gold card member in any airlines :)

You don't say what your criteria are for picking the Outlander .
There are many other plug in Hybrids that attract the same BIK that may suit you better ( audi e-tron?)
There are also a whole range of others hybrids that sit in the 10-15% band in the UK ( lexus etc)

If i was spending over a month of my life every year in the car I would be looking for something that gave the best compromise for comfort , ride and spec,
and not just the lowest BIK ;)

outofyorkshire said:
You don't say what your criteria are for picking the Outlander .
There are many other plug in Hybrids that attract the same BIK that may suit you better ( audi e-tron?)
There are also a whole range of others hybrids that sit in the 10-15% band in the UK ( lexus etc)

If i was spending over a month of my life every year in the car I would be looking for something that gave the best compromise for comfort , ride and spec,
and not just the lowest BIK ;)

I have 3 kids so need something a decent size to put 3 car seats in the back plus a big boot for work but the options im given are small hatch backs or the outlander so it's the most practical in size and the Audi e tron not on the list I can get the Lexus ct but it's too small plus I don't want to pay out loads for any car i don't like or will have to put the seats up and down every time I want to take the kids out

Dannyhusband said:
I have 3 kids so need something a decent size to put 3 car seats in the back ...
Make sure you try, if you haven't already. My guess is: it won't fit. I can remember Dutch folks looking into solutions like this to get around that 'issue': http://www.multimac.co.uk/what_it_is

img_9197_retouched_web_resized.jpg

I agree with Anko re the seats .
As an ex Disco driver which had 3 'proper' seats in the rear .
The Outlander is really only 2 and a half ( or maybe (3/4).
I think it will be a squeeze to get 3 seats in , so make sure you check. ;)

Dannyhusband said:
Hi
I'm due to order a company car next week with a fuel card what is the outlander phev like as mainly a petrol car? The reason I ask is since I'll have a fuel card I can't justify charging it at home so it'll only be charged as I drive and I'll only be getting it as its the most cost effective car on bik I travel around 50000 miles a year for business and about 15000 miles private so just want to see what people's opion is on it
Thanks

I am also in the same sort of boat although your mileages are higher. I know many on here fly the green flag but as far as the UK is concerned the PHEV isn't that useful as a green tool there simply isn't the infrastructure or the range in the PHEV especially with the long cold times here eating the battery for heating, its true purpose to beat BIK.

People telling you will be better off with the diesel? how will paying £200 - £300+ a month in tax make you better off?

Yes its a great petrol car, Today I have just done a 175 mile round trip for work and feel as fresh as a daisy - I did get a move on on the way back so MPG dropped to 34 but I usually do a bit better, its comfortable, quiet and smooth with great visibility. It has plenty of go at speed in fact the engine seems to get a second wind at well into the speeding points range and and triple digits can arrive and be held effortlessly if your not careful. Its the midrange it can be a bit elastic as the engines assistance kicks in and out. Its tempting to hit the charge button in advance and get the engine online before an overtake.

You may well end up filling up every 2 days but at least with a small tank and petrol is quicker it doesn't take long to do it.

I also have a fuel card but have been charging at home but will probably stop soon as the company is dragging it heels over any reimbursement for it so why should I subsidise my work?

I will charge it and just remember to press 'save' each journey to preserve the charge, its actual quite nice to drive in this mode with plenty of reserve yet it will still run in EV mode for periods if the reserve builds too high, until its back to the set level again.

The issue for you is going to be you private mileage. Yours is quite high, mine is minimal. I presume you have to repay that proportion of your fuel spend?
Running a 35mpg petrol car is compared to a 45mpg diesel SUV going to eat into your BIK saving.

IF the PHEV is your only choice for an SUV it could still be a good choice if you really want an SUV.

You need to work out your tax for the PHEV or what else you seriously are considering then compare the difference in fuel costs.

BobEngineer said:
Dannyhusband said:
Hi
Thanks

I am also in the same sort of boat although your mileages are higher. I know many on here fly the green flag but as far as the UK is concerned the PHEV isn't that useful as a green tool there simply isn't the infrastructure or the range in the PHEV especially with the long cold times here eating the battery for heating, its true purpose to beat BIK.

People telling you will be better off with the diesel? how will paying £200 - £300+ a month in tax make you better off?

Yes its a great petrol car, Today I have just done a 175 mile round trip for work and feel as fresh as a daisy - I did get a move on on the way back so MPG dropped to 34 but I usually do a bit better, its comfortable, quiet and smooth with great visibility. It has plenty of go at speed in fact the engine seems to get a second wind at well into the speeding points range and and triple digits can arrive and be held effortlessly if your not careful. Its the midrange it can be a bit elastic as the engines assistance kicks in and out. Its tempting to hit the charge button in advance and get the engine online before an overtake.

You need to work out your tax for the PHEV or what else you seriously are considering then compare the difference in fuel costs.

Fully agree - BIK is the primary reason for buying the car.

BobEngineer said:
Dannyhusband said:
Hi
Thanks

You may well end up filling up every 2 days but at least with a small tank and petrol is quicker it doesn't take long to do it.

I also have a fuel card but have been charging at home but will probably stop soon as the company is dragging it heels over any reimbursement for it so why should I subsidise my work?

I will charge it and just remember to press 'save' each journey to preserve the charge, its actual quite nice to drive in this mode with plenty of reserve yet it will still run in EV mode for periods if the reserve builds too high, until its back to the set level again.

The issue for you is going to be you private mileage. Yours is quite high, mine is minimal. I presume you have to repay that proportion of your fuel spend?
Running a 35mpg petrol car is compared to a 45mpg diesel SUV going to eat into your BIK saving.

IF the PHEV is your only choice for an SUV it could still be a good choice if you really want an SUV.

Thanks for your review and I have private use included and that's where the problem is with tax I'll have to pay tax on the fuel card and company car tax so I'll end up paying over £300 a month against just over £147 a month for the outlander this is the reason I can't justify using my own electricity to charge it when I'll have unlimited petrol for both business and private use but when there is a charge point I will use it

Dannyhusband said:
BobEngineer said:
Dannyhusband said:
Hi
Thanks

Thanks for your review and I have private use included and that's where the problem is with tax I'll have to pay tax on the fuel card and company car tax so I'll end up paying over £300 a month against just over £147 a month for the outlander this is the reason I can't justify using my own electricity to charge it when I'll have unlimited petrol for both business and private use but when there is a charge point I will use it

ah I see your taking private use on the card. I used to years ago but most people opted out of it years ago as the greed of the government ramped the rates up ludicrously it became uneconomic.

At 15,000 private it sounds like you have worked out its still worth your while to pay the fuel tax rather than just repay the private fuel and avoid the tax liability.

I have not looked at private fuel benefit for years but presume its still a fixed rate? so you would be liable for it whatever vehicle you choose. In this case the PHEV could be an open and shut case as your only remaining target is a good drive and minimum BIK. I strongly feel the PHEV is perfect for you.

Many other manufacturers are getting on the boat soon, BMW and Mercedes and many others are doing hybrids, most with plenty of power from the engine and not much battery range. The purpose simply to get a low BIK.

Back