Winter Tyres?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fwiw, I concur with cgwilkinson; I have an early PHEV (officially 30/6/14) and didn't know I had TPMS fitted until the warning appeared after I ran over a nail :( but :)

Avensys: Interesting that your PHEV delivered 1 July did not have TPMS, mine was delivered to the garage around 27 July and as far as I understand arrived on a ship which docked early July. When you scroll through the setting menu on the car do you have the entry for TPMS RESET after the Indicator Bleep selection setting? Funnily enough after swapping the wheels over I did not get any TPMS warning on the way back from the garage where I got the winter tyres fitted and the wheels swapped over. However as soon as I removed the original wheels from the boot of the PHEV into the garage at home and then drove away the TPMS warning became active :roll:

Hypermiler: The setting menu is accessed using the settings button just to the right of the steering wheel, remember you need to be parked/stationary to access the settings menu.

Cost wise my winter tyres/wheels cost me a total of £637.19: 4 x Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4D 215/70 R16 cost £427.20 inc fitting via mytyres, set of 16" Mitsubishi Outlander winter alloys wheels bought 2nd hand cost me £80 and of course I then had to get a set of TPMS sensor valves at £129.99. I decided to go for smaller 16" wheels for the winter wheels as smaller wheels and higher profile tyres are better for winter use plus the added bonus that the larger profile tyres are also significantly cheaper than the lower profile tyres needed for 18" wheels. If you look at the Dutch Mitsubishi website you will see that the Dutch PHEV business edition comes as standard with 16" wheels, only the higher spec executive version has the 18" wheels, and that the standard winter wheels are 16" with 215/70 R16 winter tyres.

jaapv said:
The temperature does never get under 7 degrees in the UK :?:

Perhaps not "never" - but very rarely in the South East, at least. I think I've seen frost less than 10 times this year and it always seems to have melted by 10am. Different further north, of course.

Hypermiler said:
I've not taken the plunge yet - was going to call the garage to check the cost benefit of having the tyres on the wheels as it is a bit more expensive than getting the £375 alloys and then using say mytyres to get the actual tyres - not planning to swap them myself even if they do come ready fitted...

H

Cost me £80 to have the tyres swapped here in London. So at £160 per year (plus wear & tear) on tyres changing them over, it won't take very long to justify the cost of an extra set of wheels, instead. :?

maby said:
jaapv said:

Perhaps not "never" - but very rarely in the South East, at least. I think I've seen frost less than 10 times this year and it always seems to have melted by 10am. Different further north, of course.

Average January Temp in North East of England is 2.8c
Average temp for 8 months of the year is below 10c

Bilbo59 said:
maby said:
jaapv said:

Average January Temp in North East of England is 2.8c
Average temp for 8 months of the year is below 10c
Maby - I must be living in a very different part of the South East as its rarely been above 7°C in Hampshire this month.

It does vary with location and year by year, and so each phev owner has to decide whether it is money well spent. Having been very narrowly missed by a car coming round a corner towards me (which then hit the car behind me) when driving on snow with two kids in the back of my Polo I am probably more cautious than most about bad weather driving. And yes, the car that just missed me was a 4x4 and it was April in North Yorkshire.

Last year we had about 2 frosts. This year we have already had a few weeks of frost and a little snow and the forecast is not great for the next week and Feb is generally the worst month.

We are planning to keep this car for as long as it lasts so it should be worth it. And who's to say whether we might drive to Europe for skiing in a few years time...

cheers
H

The problem with 4x4 car is that they provide so much traction in slippery conditions that drivers forget that the advantage is lost on corners and braking.

So given that last comment what would you do in this situation:

I have a phev on original factory tyres 10,000 miles wear.My wife has an astra on winter tyres. I have a round trip of leeds/Manchester to make wed/thurs this week and snow is forcast for up there but not at home where the wife will be......

What would you take?

Padped said:

I have a phev on original factory tyres 10,000 miles wear.My wife has an astra on winter tyres. I have a round trip of leeds/Manchester to make wed/thurs this week and snow is forcast for up there but not at home where the wife will be......

What would you take?
Hi,
The PHEV provided you drive within the limits of the tyres grip. You are far less likely to get stranded in the PHEV and you can mitigate the reduced braking/cornering by adjusting your driving style.
Ideally, get some winter tyres for the PHEV is budget allows. Makes sense if you are keeping the car at least 3-5 years depending on mileage.
Kind regards,
Mark

cgwilkinson said:
Avensys: Interesting that your PHEV delivered 1 July did not have TPMS, mine was delivered to the garage around 27 July and as far as I understand arrived on a ship which docked early July. When you scroll through the setting menu on the car do you have the entry for TPMS RESET after the Indicator Bleep selection setting? Funnily enough after swapping the wheels over I did not get any TPMS warning on the way back from the garage where I got the winter tyres fitted and the wheels swapped over. However as soon as I removed the original wheels from the boot of the PHEV into the garage at home and then drove away the TPMS warning became active :roll:
Hi,
Defo no TPMS. The original wheels have been in the garage now for just over a week and no TPMS warning.
Kind regards,
Mark

maddogsetc said:
maby said:
jaapv said:

Maby - I must be living in a very different part of the South East as its rarely been above 7°C in Hampshire this month.

Same in Sarf Lundun :(

Why make a crisis out of not much at all really. It snows very rarely in UK and when it has the car coped admirably on its standard tyres.
If you are so concerned in UK then just dont go out in it, I personally cannot justify the outlay.

Padped said:

What would you take?
The Astra if it's on good winter tyres. Better traction, better braking, better cornering, weighs less. Simples!!

Marksuk said:
Why make a crisis out of not much at all really. It snows very rarely in UK and when it has the car coped admirably on its standard tyres.
If you are so concerned in UK then just dont go out in it, I personally cannot justify the outlay.
That's a very good argument, especially in the south except:
Firstly it's not all about snow. Winter tyres are better than summer tyres on dry roads and wet roads when it's under 7c.
Secondly on the odd occasion it does snow, the drivers without winter tyres still go out, and gridlock the roads for those of us that do have. In certain jobs or if you're self employed you have to get to work.
Thirdly you don't have to justify the outlay if you're keeping the car for 3 years or more. It will work out around the same.

Given the weather forecast for Glasgow tomorrow afternoon do you think it's too late to nip to my dealers for a set of alloys and tyres? Might be worth a £1300 hit!

Paule23 said:
Given the weather forecast for Glasgow tomorrow afternoon do you think it's too late to nip to my dealers for a set of alloys and tyres? Might be worth a £1300 hit!

I think it's a bit late now Paule23! But I was out in the snow 10 days ago and was pleasantly surprised how well she coped... I think we'll be able to get home tomorrow!

Back