3KW or 7KW charge point

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubbsy99

Hi all,

New to the forum after purchasing a new Outlander PHEV and really looking forward when it is delivered towards the end of September. I am looking to have a charge point installed in the garage and see there are two options for the charge at 3KW or 7KW. I am thinking of getting the 7KW one as i can only assume it will charge quicker but i am not sure if it would be bad for the batteries or something. Can anyone help with some advice?

Thanks

The Outlander PHEV only charges at 10A, so the 3KW version is more than enough. The 7KW version will not charge any quicker.

There is a view that says you should go for the 7KW version as it may "future proof" the install. But in 3 years when you get your next EV, will the cables and changer be the same? Your gamble.

I went for the small version on advice from British Gas who say that Mitsubishi are advising them not to install the larger charger for PHEV owners due to potential damage to the car - see http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=399&p=3278#p3278

Kev.

Depends on your usage,a 3KW supply takes about 5 hours for a recharge,and I assume a 7 KW takes somewhat less,and has a very marginally detrimental affect on battery life.
If you need rapid recharge then 7KW,if you are happy with overnight then 3KW.
I have no actual experience yet,awaiting my mid September delivery,but I have had a 16 amp British gas charger fitted at my main house and at another property,both installations excellent. I can't wait to plug the car in.
GX4 White

jayfdee said:
Depends on your usage,a 3KW supply takes about 5 hours for a recharge,and I assume a 7 KW takes somewhat less,and has a very marginally detrimental affect on battery life.
If you need rapid recharge then 7KW,if you are happy with overnight then 3KW.

Sorry, no, I'm afraid not. As was mentioned in the previous post, the PHEV cannot make use of the additional power from a 7kw charge, so the only benefit is possible future proofing.

The PHEV can rapid charge using the second charge point and the Phase 3 rapid chargers from the likes of Ecotricity that you can find in service stations and IKEA, but they are not the kind of things most of us will have fitted at home.

And just to be clear, the 16a standard charger (the max the phev can use at home) takes about 3 hours to charge from empty (5-6 hours using an ordinary 13a socket).
H

Back