B0 to B5

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It can also depend on how "old school" you are. After 50 years of driving manuals I need to fiddle with the joystick to give my left arm something to do! :lol:

In fact, having no use for my left leg seems to have brought on arthritis in it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

michael8554 said:
IMO, most of us seem to be in two distinct schools of thought on this:

One group loves B5, to Regen whenever possible.

The other group loves B0, to save as much charge as possible by coasting, only Regen braking when necessary.

Michael
And the third group simply leaves is on the B2 factory preset which is closest to the way a non-EV car reacts, and only uses B5 on a long hill descent. I find the paddles eminently practical to hang my mouth mask on.

michael8554 said:
IMO, most of us seem to be in two distinct schools of thought on this:

One group loves B5, to Regen whenever possible.

The other group loves B0, to save as much charge as possible by coasting, only Regen braking when necessary.

Michael
In active driving, actually, I fluently switch the Bs, especially B0 to B5 and vice versa. For foot relaxiation I tend to set B0 when possible. Reaching a crossing I step wise switch to B5 with any B holding for what makes sense slowing down the speed respective to the distance left.
I'm not a friend of the ACC though.

Another reason to select B5 is unrelated to regen efficiency - quicker braking when you are in stop and go or busy traffic (especially if you don't have ACC/FCA). With full regen, just the act of releasing the accelerator starts braking a fraction of a second sooner. The overall reaction time is faster than waiting until you release the accelerator, move your foot to the brake pedal and then press it.

I know, I know, one shouldn't follow too closely! However in Toronto and I'm sure other cities, that sometimes is not an option.

Car-sick passengers from B5 regen! :eek:
How are you stopping on stop signs, traffic lights and intersections. One foot driving in B5 is perfect for an busy city.

kpetrov said:
How are you stopping on stop signs, traffic lights and intersections. One foot driving in B5 is perfect for an busy city.
Not from regen - from using regen to boost the brakes :lol:

msmatt said:
With full regen, just the act of releasing the accelerator starts braking a fraction of a second sooner. The overall reaction time is faster than waiting until you release the accelerator, move your foot to the brake pedal and then press it.

This is a really interesting point and quite correct.

However I have though of it from the opposite scenario - eg you are tailgating someone who is slowing down so you ease the accelerator and the B5 regen slows you enough, however then the car in front stops suddenly due to a ball or child running in front of them. In a traditional ICE, your foot would already be on the brake pedal, so your reaction time would be quicker.
I drive in B5 generally, however the above scenario did cross my mind a few times as my foot is rarely on the brake pedal unless I come to a complete stop.

I usually hover my foot over the brake pedal, just in case, while I wait for the car in front to pull away.

Luckily this situation is not frequent enough to get anyone car sick! It happens most in the "fast" lane of the highway and a good indication that I should move to the right where traffic often moves more smoothly.

I taught myself to brake with my left foot many years ago in an automatic, so you can hover your left foot over the brake while using your right for the accelerator. It's easy enough to learn if you're young enough, but I'm not sure I'd try to learn now - old dog, new tricks...

kpetrov said:

Not in London with its snail pace traffic - Regen has no effect

Back