Charging problems

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wobblydeb

Has anyone else experienced this? I have a type 2 connector which is our daily way of charging up the PHEV. It has worked intermittently recently, and as I finally got an error message from the car yesterday I have booked it in for dealer to look at.

Mostly the charging points don't seem to recognise that the car is plugged in, saying "Connect to car before connecting to charge point".

Then yesterday the car told me "Charge Interrupted, System Malfunction"

Any ideas? :?:

Why a common problem? I've never heard of it.

(TS refers to a Type 2 connector which is Mennekes, so he must be referring to a Mode 2 cable, not the Mode 3 cable with the brick of which it indeed is a known problem.)

It could still be a broken conductor. Most likely places are where the cable enters the socket or plug.
With the cable connected to the charger and car try wiggling the cable near where it enters the coonectors. Check whether it starts or stops charging. Just be careful though as if it is faulty the cable could go flash/pop. Better would be to use a multimeter to check continuity of the individual conductors particularly when being flexed.

Ah - in that case it is probably the microswitch in the carside plug. Another known problem. I had it. I opened up the plug, bent the lip of the microswitch slightly, reassembled and all was fine again.
Another plug I have has an oxidized lock, which has to be pressed locked to start the car charging. The locking button activates the microswitch on the communication lead.

Sorry for my general electrical incompetence, but does that mean it is a cable issue? (Not a car issue?)

This seems likely as I've plugged in using the 3 pin plug with brick today and it started charging fine.

Very frustrating as the car, charge point and charging cable are all supplied by different parties so sorting out which one is faulty and getting them to rectify will take a bit of doing!

Checking the microswitch can be done by anybody who is able to turn a screwdriver ;)
Start by checking whether the lock on the carside plug (the button you have to press to unplug it) engages properly, though. Next step would be to ask the supplier of the charge point (assuming you have a ththered one)

UPDATE:

Well we got the car checked by Mitsu, and there wasn't any problem with the car.

Sent the cable back to EV Connectors, who have supplied a replacement as the cable WAS faulty. I cannot complain about the customer service - very nice to deal with and about a week to replace. It's just a shame that it failed, and I am hoping the replacement fares better.

I had a problem earlier this year with the tethered cable on our Rolec and the installer came out, said it was something to do with calibration of the micro switch. Fixed in a jiffy!

Back