Climate control/AC

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter

Happy days, I have been told by my dealer that I can collect my GX4 on Monday, not bad only had to wait a month.
A question if I can regarding the climate control/ AC, the system in the PHEV looks the same as that in my present car, this I set at about 19deg. With the fan running at low, I very rarely use the AC.
I see mention of the reduced battery range if the AC is in use, is this the same if I set the climate control as in my present car?

When you hit the climate control button the car will switch on the AC automatically. It can, of course, be switched off separately.

if you leave the car set with the fan only, at 19 degrees, it will stay like that when you power it back on. If you turn off the system (for instance if you have the windows open) and then press auto to turn it back on, it will try to use the a/c to cool the car down (until you press the snowflake button as jaap says). I've not needed to use the A/C myself yet either and because of the battery drain, I've been conscious of not turning it on - I have been using eco mode a fair bit, which stops the use of it too I think.

webbo73 said:
if you leave the car set with the fan only, at 19 degrees, it will stay like that when you power it back on. If you turn off the system (for instance if you have the windows open) and then press auto to turn it back on, it will try to use the a/c to cool the car down (until you press the snowflake button as jaap says). I've not needed to use the A/C myself yet either and because of the battery drain, I've been conscious of not turning it on - I have been using eco mode a fair bit, which stops the use of it too I think.
Hi,
There is a setting that stops the A/C coming on automatically when you turn climate control on. I think you hold the snowflake button for 5 seconds or similar.
Kind regards,
Mark

My PHEV has an AC power indicator. I have had the opportunity to be parked and have the AC on and watched this gauge while talking to friends with the window down. The battery range did its drop from 36km down to 28km. Rather simplistic guess at how much energy would be used. The actual power shown on the gauge varied from 1.5kW as a maximum down to about 0.2kW and OFF. The cycle was approx 30 seconds. The temp difference was about 8C from a setting of 21 inside and 29 outside. The average power was around 0.75kW.

The AC seems to consume about 0.75kWh per hour and yet the PHEV has calculated that the AC uses about 2kWh of battery range. This calculation is no different for changing driving speeds.

We need to accept that the PHEV really has no idea how to allow for AC use and the engineers have just used a fixed percentage loss of range based on remaining battery capacity.

The battery range anxiety that comes from the use of the AC is a side effect of just another example of poor programming in the car. I don't know why, with measured AC power, that a battery range calculation adjustment could not be made using this measured power and the vehicle speed and the remaining battery capacity.

Possibly in a revised computer system upgrade, some better algorithms will be included.

Weather is warming up here in Australia and today ambient was up to 29C. Had AirCon on for about 5 hours of driving, a total of about 290km. Most driving was on SAVE mode, but about an hour of EV city driving was mixed in as well.

Normally the AirCon changes the range by about 10-12km in 45km, with a full battery. After arriving back home tonight, the AirCon only changed the range by 2km with a 50% full battery.

This is the first time the AirCon has been used all day.

Will recharge tomorrow and see what the numbers for battery range are.

It looks like the AirCon usage effect on battery range may be compensated for energy use.

You really all need to stop worrying about battery range and just drive! We've all spent over £30,000 on a car - we're not going to limit ourselves to journeys of no more than 30 miles or sit with the sweat pouring off us in the summer and shivering in the winter - that would be stupid. You could buy some tiny Suzuki for less than £10k, travel further and in greater comfort and still save money - it will have no difficulty doing 50mpg and the Outlander is never going to save the £20k price difference in its lifetime no matter how carefully you drive it!

Lighten up, it's a lovely car - drive it and enjoy!

maby said:
You really all need to stop worrying about battery range and just drive! We've all spent over £30,000 on a car - we're not going to limit ourselves to journeys of no more than 30 miles or sit with the sweat pouring off us in the summer and shivering in the winter - that would be stupid. You could buy some tiny Suzuki for less than £10k, travel further and in greater comfort and still save money - it will have no difficulty doing 50mpg and the Outlander is never going to save the £20k price difference in its lifetime no matter how carefully you drive it!

Lighten up, it's a lovely car - drive it and enjoy!

+1

Maby

That needed saying I think ....there's another forum the Nissan Qashqai forum and the gripes and moans dissuaded me from purchasing that car, I think people have to remember you can spend 100 k plus on a car and still have gripes and moans

Remember its a car use it as such . if i'am cold the heater will be used if i'am hot I will open the window or use aircon. and when I play my Deep purple sweet child in time or Lynyrd Skynyrd will I be worrying about the volume and its impact on the battery . what do you think ?.

Back