EV connectors charging cable

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nernm

I ordered and received one of these last week, 16A J1772 to 62196-2 (Type 2) so I could use public charging stations.

I tried it on :
the ac side of the charging station at IKEA (Ecotricity) - no luck. It got as far as waiting on response from vehicle.
a Charge Your Car outlet at a local Council car park - again no luck
on my home Charge Master charger, which has a type 2 connector, again no luck.

I phoned EV connectors ,arranged for uplift and they said they would test another one before dispatching it.

Received it today, and so far still no luck.
Tried it on home charger - nothing;
Just tried it on a different Council Car park machine. I seemed to get a green light on the machine, but the weather is so bad I could not read the small lcd display on the machine. But no charging light came on inside the car.

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm missing something.

Has anyone else used these, I'm sure I got the EV connectors link from a post somewhere on here?

Any problems? Have I missed something, or just incredibly unlucky?

I'm reluctant to go for a third attempt, and beginning to wonder if I should dig deep in my pockets for the Mitsu cable, about 100 quid more if I recall correctly. :roll:

Hi,

I have read on these forums that a 16A cable may have problems when trying to charge from a 32A chargepoint, even though it should work fine. I assume your home chargepoint is 16A though so this shouldn't be the case.

Is there any chance the "trigger" isn't operating fully? I believe there is a microswitch in this that won't allow charging unless fully operated.

Kind regards,
Mark

Did you fully insert the Typ 1 plug? Should hear a "click". No click, no juice.

If so, it's strange, cause the communication between your car and the charger is the very same as with your car and the ICCB that came with the car. So if one works, the other should as well....!

Regarding avensys post, you could try to recode the Typ 2 connector on the cable to 32 Amps by replacing the 680 ohms resistor you find in the typ 2 connector with a 220 ohm resistor.

Marked R(PP) in this diagram:

k367tc.png

nernm,

have you registered with "Charge your car" and received a swipe card for the machines?

I'm also based in Glasgow and if you want to do a test I'm happy to help. I'm in the city centre most days. Normally parked in Cadogan Street Car park enjoying free charging and city centre parking.

Newspaperboy said:
have you registered with "Charge your car" and received a swipe card for the machines?
He mentioned, that the cable wouldn't work at his home station, too....

Thanks for all the quick responses:

avensys said:
Hi,

I have read on these forums that a 16A cable may have problems when trying to charge from a 32A chargepoint, even though it should work fine. I assume your home chargepoint is 16A though so this shouldn't be the case.

Is there any chance the "trigger" isn't operating fully? I believe there is a microswitch in this that won't allow charging unless fully operated.

Kind regards,
Mark

The Charge Master point in my garage is 16A (My garage electrics couldn't supply 32A, and 32A would have cost, 16A was free.)

Kim said:
Did you fully insert the Typ 1 plug? Should hear a "click". No click, no juice.

If so, it's strange, cause the communication between your car and the charger is the very same as with your car and the ICCB that came with the car. So if one works, the other should as well....!

I have always inserted the plug on the vehicle without pressing the button, so that it clicks when in position (As per the handbook). It seems unlikely I could get this wrong on so many occasions, yet with the Mitsu domestic cable no probs.
Newspaperboy said:
nernm,

I'm also based in Glasgow and if you want to do a test I'm happy to help. I'm in the city centre most days. Normally parked in Cadogan Street Car park enjoying free charging and city centre parking.

Yes I have the Charge Your Car swipe card and it was working okay.

Thanks for the kind offer. I'll try again tomorrow, weather permitting and maybe take you up on your offer to do a test later in the week.

BTW, is your cable a Mitsubishi one?

JKL said:
Did you set charging timers maybe ?

My wife also suggested this. I'm pretty sure not and if I had surely the domestic cable that came with the car wouldn't work either.

Just a thought.... could you have 'Locator based ON' somewhere in the timer settings? I never use charge timers so I can't recall how it works, but I think it may be possible to set the timers so that they only work at a particular location..... Can't really think of anything else....
I'm often parked in Duke Street car park (near High Street) so if that end of town suits you I'd be happy to try to help....

Picking up the story where I left off.
If you’re not interested in my ramblings, scroll to the end where I sum up my main findings.
On closer inspection of the cable, I discovered the CP pin on the plug was fully 10 mm deeper recessed than the other pins. The sockets on the charger plug all seemed to be at the same depth.
I reckoned I had discovered the problem (at least one of them).
The other possibilities seemed to be the car, and me, both common factors.
I phoned EV Connectors and requested uplift of the cable and a full refund. I said about the difference in depth of the pins, but they said that was normal.
They suggested it might be my vehicle and perhaps I should get that checked.
I decided to cough up the extra cash and buy the Mitsu cable, then if I did have to take it to a dealership, they couldn't blame the cable.

In the meantime I searched online to try and find diagrams or mention of this recessed pin.
Found diagram of pin connections and discovered the rogue pin was for control confirmation. (CP)
[One of the two smaller pins, both at the top. The other is PP for connection confirmation.]
I understood anyway that the charging pins did not become active until the relevant signal was received from the vehicle being charged.
The other pin connections are, if you are interested:
PE(Protective Earth) in the centre; then L1, L2 and L3 (live for each phase, ie can accomodate three phase) and N neutral.

All pins have insulated tips apart from PE (protective earth)
I skimmed and downloaded lots of diagrams and specs, including the IEC 62196-1
<http://www.inmetro.gov.br/barreirastecnicas/pontofocal/..%5Cpontofocal%5Ctextos%5Cregulamentos%5CSAU_357.pdf>
Plenty of dimensions, but no side view of pin location or any mention the recessed pin. (It could be there and I’ve missed it – please let me know of you know of it or find it)

When I got the Mitsu cable, you've guessed it, it also had this pin recessed!
On the plus side the cable was much thinner, so the entire package was much neater (see photos).
It doesn't have a dust cap on the charger end, but the car end plug is rubberised and waterproof looking and feeling.
Trying the same public charging station and my garage wall charger I was coming up against the same problems.
I decided to move the plug from one side of a public charging post to the other and low and behold it worked!
I examined the pin socket depths on the public charging station socket and again they all seemed the same depth. However paying closer attention, I found when I inserted the plug it went fully home, right up the the flange, whereas when it was inserted into tethered cables at home and at charging points , it inserted but not fully up to the flange.
Eureka!
I reckon this is the reason for the recessed CP pin, so that if you try to plug a cable plug into a female cable plug, it will not work due to the lack of passage of a Control Confirmation signal.

I phoned Charge Master and asked. They confirmed it would not work, plugging into a tethered cable, but couldn’t elaborate any further.

Main points are summed up below:

EV Connectors
No EV Connectors cables were faulty;
EV Connectors accepted my returns without quibble and did not charge me return carriage.
They have given me a full refund.
They had tested the second cable before dispatch (Although this wasn’t made clear to me and nothing written to this effect on the packing note).
After I requested return of the second cable they tested my first return and found it to be okay.
They advised I should consider having the car tested.

Comparison of EV Connectors cable with Mitusbishi one.
Price: EV Connectors £184; Mitsubishi £299 ie £115 more !
EV Connectors cable has dust cap on each plug, Mitsu one only on the Type 1 plug (Car end)
Mitsu Type 1 plug is a rubberised waterproof looking and feeling plug.
The EV Connectors flex is much thicker and bulkier.
I assume it has all three phase pins connected. Mitsu one only has one phase pin.
(EVC one is presumably suitable for a wider range of applications.)

Lessons learned
The CP (Control Confirmation) pin is about 10mm deeper recessed than the other pins.
This is to prevent cables being connected to cables.
If a plug is inserted into a plug (female ) on another cable (eg tethered one at a charging point) it does not go in far enough for the CP pin to engage.
Consequently charging does not commence.
Some charging stations are faulty, even when there is nothing to indicate this.
Even with two identical charge points on the one pillar, one may operate whilst the other does not!
Don't try out new things in the freezing rain when its cold and you’re tired!!

Next steps
Try and organise a wall charger with a Type 1 tethered cable. Wish me luck!

Thanks again to those that offered trying out their cables, or swapping to test.

PS If someone can tell me how to insert/upload images, I'll post a photo of both cables for comparison and a plug pin diagram.
PPS Sorry if it all seems pretty obvious in retrospect. It has and still is a steep learning curve for me!

Just realised the Mitsu plug at the car end does not seem to have the facility to fit a padlock but the EV Connectors one does.

However I had gone off this idea, reasoning being that if someone wanted to remove it they would damage the car.

Back