help for new owner

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The engine is driving the front wheels and charging the drive battery. The electric motors are not driving any wheels.

This usually happens at speeds above 125kmh, and is completely normal .

BCbackroader said:
The engine is driving the front wheels and charging the drive battery. The electric motors are not driving any wheels.

Correct ... but it can also happen at any speed above 65/70km/h ... when battery is low or when charge button is pressed

Actually this is the most efficient way to drive the PHEV ... using the extra possible load on the ICE for increase ICE efficiency and saving/loading the battery for then be used in EV mode for end the trip ... or for use EV mode when driving at low speed (at low speed if the battery is low, the ICE will not work very efficiently .. since 100% of ICE will be going into the generator)

PS: At speed above 125km/h I'm not sure the battery get charged .. if charge button is not pressed .. 100% of ICE could be used only for move the car, and use the generator not for charge the battery but only for compensate the electric consumption by the car (some energy is needed for reduce drag in the always connected electric motors + some electric power for the AC or lights, or else)

ok great thanks for the replies, i thought i had read somewhere that the engine never drives the wheels only drives the generators so is not in any way a direct drive. does this mean that its more fuel efficient to have this mode running, the ice uses less fuel in total , does anyone have a view please.

many thanks

At the speed and conditions this situation normally occurs, there's not much you can do to influence fuel consumption. It will be between 35 and 40 mpg at best.

I am just coming back from a long highway trip with batteries at the minimum and the average consumption was 8.8 L/100km or 27 mpg. 35 to 40 mpg is when you have batteries loaded and you drive less than 150 miles.

Agreed, Andrev. My experience is confined to 100 mile trips on British "A" roads. About 30 miles maximum at 65-70 MPH, then a mix of 30-40 MPH stretches. Usually manage just under 40 mpg.

BCbackroader said:

This is not quite true - the electric motors are still connected and will kick in when extra power is needed.
In fact, both motors must be kept powered up to overcome induction resistance.

But this doesn't mean the motors are driving the wheels :geek: As a matter of fact the rear motor is usually pushing a little bit to maintain the '4wd characteristics' of the car. But this is not reflectedin the graphics. But this has nothing to do with electromagnetic drag.

BTW, the power needed to eliminate electromagnetic drag in the motors may be more than the amount of electrical power generated by the generator. This would result in a power flow from battery to wheels but the graphics would still be the same. In other words, you cannot always trust the diagram.

Back