Maps

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am still stunned, in the days of Google Maps, Waze, TomTom maps on smartphones that they can still justify £160 for maps every year.

You can buy a 6" TomTom with lifetime free map updates for £140, or a 5" for the same price as this map update with live traffic and free map updates.

I use Waze. Never used the MMCS, occasionally glance at it to double check the speed limit for the road I am on. If it was £50 or less I might buy it just to keep the car up to date in case I do want to use it one day, but £160 is ludicrous.

At a minimum these maps should be free while a car is in warranty.

BeeJay said:
I am still stunned, in the days of Google Maps, Waze, TomTom maps on smartphones that they can still justify £160 for maps every year.

You can buy a 6" TomTom with lifetime free map updates for £140, or a 5" for the same price as this map update with live traffic and free map updates.

I use Waze. Never used the MMCS, occasionally glance at it to double check the speed limit for the road I am on. If it was £50 or less I might buy it just to keep the car up to date in case I do want to use it one day, but £160 is ludicrous.

At a minimum these maps should be free while a car is in warranty.

LOL that's pretty much the exact same thing I said to Mitsubishi. Seems like the US get it for free as part of a thing called 'MapShare' - was stunned when I found out Europe didn't.

No update offered for AUS shipped PHEV.

would want to try before I bought to make sure the gaps in the maps were fixed before I paid any money. Was told that in AUS we would get free update. I guess that if there are no updates in the warranty period we will be out of luck.

I use a second GPS, either phone or iPad as passenger cannot even select a new destination when moving, on the "in car" system. Dumb ass systems we are forced to use by regulations.

Yup - all the manufacturers are at it.
BMW want over £200 for a DVD for my X5.
That's why there are plenty of knock-offs on ebay from sellers in places like the Baltic States or Thailand for £20.

If its like the old Outlander MMCS its not as simple as getting a copy of the map update CD.

The old one required a 'dongle' key that came with a genuine map CD and plugged in the Sat Nav. unit. It could only be used with one car as once it was plugged in it keyed itself only to that vehicles serial number.

The hard drive in the MMCS was hardware locked too so if you removed it and hooked it to a PC and tried to write new map data on it, the hard drive itself wouldn't let you.

The Russian enthusiasts cracked it in the end by monitoring the signals between the MMCS and the drive they intercepted and captured the hard drive password. So you could remove the drive and hook it to a PC. The PC then needed to be booted from a basic Linux CD and a command line instruction entered that used the password and a Unix unlock command to set the drive unlocked.

After that it could be read and written to like a normal drive and bootlegs of newer maps as well as other hacks applied. As the MMCS could copy music CD's to the hard drive and play them without the CD it was popular to fit much bigger hard drives.

As soon as the drive was refitted in the MMCS the unit saw it wasn't locked and secured it again. So the unlock process had to be done each time you wanted to update the maps.

The current MMCS doesn't seem so different so possibly has a similar system.

Dam.. you are telling me they are "cleverer" than those working in Audi and BMW? :p

and yet, this thing isn't clever enough to show us a useful Wh/km consumption... :(
which should be pretty basic info in any electric driven vehicle

Kim said:
and yet, this thing isn't clever enough to show us a useful Wh/km consumption... :(

And it doesn't play DVD movies when stationary like the old one. Ideal when sat waiting to pick someone up and its taking a while.

Kim said:

It's easy in an electric vehicle, but more difficult to define in a hybrid. If I've run for 40 miles on a mixture of electricity and petrol, how do you want to express it? If you are measuring in Wh/km, then small figures are good - in an electric vehicle - but an Outlander running in the depths of winter and burning almost exclusively petrol could show an extremely low Wh/km - not meaningfully.

I don't disagree that the current figure is silly - I went to Heathrow and back this lunchtime, starting with a battery that was just over 50% charged. most of the trip was done on petrol and at the end of it, my display told me that I had done 61 miles/kWh - obviously not meaningful - but what should it have said?

Back