New Car - New Me!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neverfuel

Hi all,

New to the forum as a member, but have had some great advice and tips from you all in my first week of ownership. I have got to say I enjoying the experience of driving the Outlander more than a driving experience in an Aston Martin V8 Vantage I had three weeks ago at Elvington Airfield in York.

I think I have managed to play with everything and got the hang of the MMCS (I was expecting it to be more difficult due to some of the posts I had read on here!). My experience with the dealer was brilliant, he kept me informed throughout the whole process and even called me up the other day to ask me how I was liking it. I tried out the ACC yesterday on the M18, I have to admit that it will probably take me some time to get used to the car coming to a complete stop after following a truck up a slip road when coming to a roundabout without having my thumb on "Cancel" & my foot hovering above the brake pedal.

Another thing I had a go at for the first time yesterday was fast charging, I used the Hatfield Service Station on the M18, which has a single Ecotricity charger. I have to say it was an interesting experience. When I got there, there was an I3 on the pump, and being new I didn't know that you cant charge 2 cars at the same time. So after carefully moving my car into a position next to the I3 that would just let the Chademo cable reach, I worked it out! As there was only 15 mins remaining for the BMW's charge to complete, I thought I will go and have a cup of tea at Costa (£2.45). Now I have heard of "range" anxiety, but I found myself eyeing up all the likely people who might own the car, checking for a keyring on display, walking towards where the pump was etc, thinking "Come on, Come on". Anyway, the chap eventually pulled of the charger and let me get on with it. First of all I tried connecting the cable before validating my card. Then I couldn't work out how to press the green tick to start the process (thought I had to use the card again, or that the touch screen wasn't working). Eventually looked it up on the Ecotricity site and it showed the lowest button on the right to be the solution (is it just me or has anybody else struggled with that?). 24 mins later I had 80% charge - 50A up to 75% and then slight reductions until complete, this gave me 24 miles and as I had about 23 miles to go home I was fairly impressed.

I don't know whether I will be using a fast charger again though due to the tea costing more than 24 miles worth of petrol would have cost! However, I don't know if it is a coincidence, but when I charged last night using the normal 13A charger, I had 35 miles indicated on the EV range https://www.dropbox.com/s/0zw1b78rqhe14a3/IMG_1413.JPG?dl=0. I have only ever seen 32 miles once and that was the day I picked it up from the dealer, ever since I normally get 28/29 miles. I did drive back from the fast charger like a grandma, so I am wondering if it increased the range based on my driving style yesterday?

Thanks to all for all the fixes / workarounds etc, I think it is working how I want it to now!!

Welcome Neverfuel. Good name, if a trifle optimistic!
Yes the first time using a rapid is complicated. My first time was at a service station in the dark, I couldn't even read the screen as it's not backlit. Had to use my iphone's light just to read the not very clear instructions.
I must have paid far more for coffee than I've ever saved at rapids, not that I use them that often. Don't stop unless you would be stopping anyway would be my advice!

Thanks guys

When I got the car the dealer put just under a quarter of a tank in giving me 99 petrol miles, I still have 95 of those left and have done just short of 200 miles this week. I was considering filling it up when I picked it up, then found I didn't need to for the kind of journeys I am making. The funny thing is I put an empty fuel can in it yesterday to get some unleaded for the lawn mower, with the intention of filling it up as the lawn is going mad after all the recent rain. But after feeling smug about my first fast charge - I didn't want to blow it by calling in for petrol as well! I will keep you informed on the state of the grass! :lol: :lol:

So, I have just been working out that if the car does about 48 mpg in series / parallel then at 24 miles per free fast charge it would cost 2 x cups of Costa tea. That's the equivalent of 2 teabags per gallon. Now if tea is £2.45 per cup and petrol is roughly £1.19 per litre then there would still be a saving of 50 pence per gallon over your normal ICE driver. I have not done the calculations using a skinny latte and don't get me started on blueberry muffins! :D

I wouldn't be in a hurry to fill up, if you don't use much fuel.

I filled up when I 1st. got mine, and ended up with the car running on engine only until I put in 20l of fuel!

As it was 3/4 full at the time I couldn't get 20l in for over 2 weeks.

It does this every 6 months or so if fuel isn't run through the engine.

So now I run it low and only put 20l in, so it's only just over half fuel at most.

So far this has kept it happy.

Back